• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Renewal - Stafford county

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So my current CHP expires in early May. I forgot until it was too late to renew before the 45 day limit. I went and applied at the Stafford count circuit court on 27 March, thoroughly expecting the renewal process to take the full 45 days allowed.

Much to my surprise, I had a voice mail at home from one of the court clerks telling me that my renewal permit was ready to be picked up today! That makes the renewal process 26 days from the day I submitted.

Stafford did not require a SASE from me, but they do require that I pickthe permit up in person. They will not mail the permit. Not a big deal for me, but it could be for another person.

Any ways I am happy as I had expected to not have a valid CHP for a week. Oh yeah, none of the additional B.S. that Fairfax county makes people provide either. No proof of residence, no SASE (though that could be a help for some folks), and no making you wait the maximum 45 days (whether the permit is ready or not).

Glock27Bill

imported post

Congratulations.

Glad they did not drag their heels.

But I have to correct you on Fairfax County.

I did not have to provide proof of residence when I applied, I went to the couthouse to pick up my permit, and got it in a few weeks.

I've known others to get their permits in as little as 2 weeks.

You probably got u confused with Arlington. ;)

Riana

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Congratulations.

I did not have to provide proof of residence when I applied, I went to the couthouse to pick up my permit, and got it in a few weeks.

He's not confused - Fairfax did ask for proof of residence when I applied for mine. But, before the rocks start flying, I understand that to be an extra-legal requirement, so although they ask for it, you are not required to provide it. Or something like that. (there was a long thread about this somewhere... here it is: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21809&forum_id=54)

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Riana wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
Congratulations.

He's not confused - Fairfax did ask for proof of residence when I applied for mine. But, before the rocks start flying, I understand that to be an extra-legal requirement, so although they ask for it, you are not required to provide it. Or something like that. (there was a long thread about this somewhere... here it is: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21809&forum_id=54 )
Riana, thanks for backing me up on this. My point for Billis that at least Stafford doesn't play games with the process like Fairfax does.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Sorry, I wasn't trying to bash your observations.

It's just that in my experience Ffx has been pretty good.

I got my permit in 30 days, a friend at work and his wife got theirs in 2 weeks.

I know that there are some jurisdictions that play games, I just don't think that Fairfax is one of them.

Although others may have had different experiences.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to bash your observations.

It's just that in my experience Ffx has been pretty good.

I got my permit in 30 days, a friend at work and his wife got theirs in 2 weeks.

I know that there are some jurisdictions that play games, I just don't think that Fairfax is one of them.

Although others may have had different experiences.
Thanks Bill, I'm glad that you've had good experiences with Fairfax.:dude: We're cool! Kinda like our new friend who had problems with getting a CHP renewal here in Stafford. Guess I should have kept the B.S. out of my OP and stuck with the Stafford facts in my case.

warthog

imported post

I wonder if it's only renewals that need to be picked up in person, or if their policy has changed recently. My CHP was mailed to me whenStafford Countyissued it back in September.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

warthog wrote:
I wonder if it's only renewals that need to be picked up in person, or if their policy has changed recently. My CHP was mailed to me whenStafford Countyissued it back in September.
I'llremember to ask when I pick it up tomorrow.

Stafford_1911

imported post

Glade it went smooth for you.

From what I understand it is pretty hit or miss with mailing vs. pickup. My first two were mailed but when I dropped of the application the lady at the left window said I would need to pick it up.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Stafford_1911, I regret that you had to go through the ordeal which you did. I am glad though, that you struck a blow for our freedoms and the administration of proper government.

Again, I'm going to ask about the mail/pickup discrepancy.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I picked up my CHP this morning. On the way in passing through the security check point, I was wearing my black t-shirt with a silhouette of an AR-15 with the Geo. Washington quote of "a free people ought to be armed...." and the deputy says, "that's why the Japanese didn't invade the U.S.". So I give him my best "HUH?" He says your shirt. And I said, "Oh yeah, I'm glad that you appreciate that." Nice guy.

So I go to the clerk's office and pick up the permit. I asked about the mailing business. She told me that, until Jan of this year they used to mail them out but because of budget cuts they stopped doing it. She said that the person applying for the permit could provide a SASE and they would be glad to mail it, but that an SASE wasn't a requirement. Only if you wanted them to mail it to you, otherwise you would have to come in and pick it up. But then, they don't really advertise that either.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience. In and out in about 5 minutes.

warthog

imported post

Thanks for checking into that, Kai. It's pretty sad that economic times make it so gov't can't afford stamps, but I'd rather pick up my CHP if it means that someone can keep getting a paycheck.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, it's rather sad that the county can pony up big time bucks to purchase Crow's Nest, yet have to close schools and reduce other necessary services to save money.

From a WaPo article about Crow's Nest,

The Stafford County Board of Supervisors paid $19 million for 1,720 acres of the peninsula last year. The property owner, Stafford Lakes Limited Partnership, has agreed to reduce the price for an additional 1,100 acres, knocking $2 million off its $16.2 million asking price if the county turns the money over by July 31.

hsmith

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Well, I picked up my CHP this morning. On the way in passing through the security check point, I was wearing my black t-shirt with a silhouette of an AR-15 with the Geo. Washington quote of "a free people ought to be armed...." and the deputy says, "that's why the Japanese didn't invade the U.S.". So I give him my best "HUH?" He says your shirt. And I said, "Oh yeah, I'm glad that you appreciate that." Nice guy.

So I go to the clerk's office and pick up the permit. I asked about the mailing business. She told me that, until Jan of this year they used to mail them out but because of budget cuts they stopped doing it. She said that the person applying for the permit could provide a SASE and they would be glad to mail it, but that an SASE wasn't a requirement. Only if you wanted them to mail it to you, otherwise you would have to come in and pick it up. But then, they don't really advertise that either.

They may not have invaded, but they did attack the continental united states at one time! (And no, not just HI)

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hsmith wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:

They may not have invaded, but they did attack the continental united states at one time! (And no, not just HI)
Attu and Kiska in the Aleutian Islands.

Riana

imported post

hsmith wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
Attu and Kiska in the Aleutian Islands.
I always understood Continental United States to only include the 48 contiguous states -neither Hawaii nor Alaska are considered part of it. Am I mistaken there?

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You may be thinking the contiguous 48 States.

Edit because reading is fundamental -the contiguous states are the lower 48. You can't say that Alaska is not a part of the north American continent. A Japanese submarine also shelled a town in California (I think it was California)and also released incendiary balloons some of which landed in the Northwest.