• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Magazine Holder

brad9point0

imported post

I am new to the OC movement, I want to make sure I am 100% in compliance. I have a holster that is fine but for my magazines I have a police duty belt style dual mag holder. It holds the mags but pretty much covers them from view ther then the top and bottom. I know that having the mag in your pocket makes it 12025 and illegal. So does this count as concealing the mags? I am thinking I might go buy an open top hard plastic carrier?

Ideas?

Thanks!!

prcE6

imported post

These should be fine as they are obvious magazine holders. An LEO is sure to recognize them as that. As a matter of fact, there's a few members here that use them.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

PRC-E6 wrote:
These should be fine as they are obvious magazine holders. An LEO is sure to recognize them as that. As a matter of fact, there's a few members here that use them.

-Waves-:)

When I first got started, the double mag pouch depicted is almost identical to what I was using. Police will certainly recognize it for what it is, but in all likelihood, I dont believe whether or not your magazines are considered concealed will be raised. We are, however adding an additional layer of precaution.

I have since purchased an open top double mag holster. Call me fussy, but I didnt care for the ripping noise that the velcro makes when you open them.

brad9point0

imported post

well i got the snaps on these ones! but still... I kind of want to error on the side of caution. I found a nice holster with a built in mag holder but it wont fir my mag :( I carry a Kimber BP Ten II which is basically a 1911 but the holster will only hold the single stack 1911 mags :( so i think im going to go pick up a open top kydex style mag holder.... 30 bucks is cheaper then a lawyer in a criminal case....

Thanks for everyones opinions!!!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Any exposed magazine holster is 12025 compliant. Read 12025(g) and you'll find that firearms carried openly in holsters are exempt from the statute. Under the case law that equates a magazine to a firearm, you cannot conceal a magazine if it makes the firearm readily loadable. (If you're not carrying the firearm, concealing a mag is perfectly legal.)

So, since the logic requires the court to consider a magazine a firearm in order to apply 12025, the magazine would then fit the exemption in 12025(g).