• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what a tasteless act

swillden

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Please show your friends/family/neighbors that you care about them by communicating with them regularly! Know and look for early warning signs, encourage or assist them in getting help!
I agree with this, of course, but keep in mind that in some cases there aren't any warning signs. It's not uncommon to see someone who's a little down, but to have absolutely no way to tell that they're seriously considering suicide. In fact, severely depressed people often seem to cheer up in the days before they kill themselves.

By all means, watch out for your friends and try to help when you do see warning signs, but don't blame the guy's family for not stepping in. They may not have had any idea.

Bennelli

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
utbagpiper wrote:
I think the police showed up to protect innocent bystanders--including the guy's family--from an unstable person with a gun who had made overt threats of violence.

Did you read any of the stories? Nowhere does it say that he threatened anyone but himself, until the police kicked his door in.

I would like to pointa fewthings.

Everything that my wife said is pretty much inline with what the media has reported.

I can not find a single story where anyone was threatened, UNTIL the police entered his home. He was home alone.

The police were not there, until the family brought them there.

I can only assume that the family gave the police permission to kick the door in and enter.

If you have not figured out whereI am going with this, let me be frank.

If your loved ones have threatened to shoot themselves, DON'T CALL MORE MEN WITH GUNS!!! :banghead:

Good advise!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6213674
Officers arrived to find Batchelor's father and sister locked outside the house, unable to get in. Officers heard a crash inside the home, and thinking Batchelor was still alive and needing assistance, they kicked in the back door and went inside.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6234797

Sunday night, they say Batchelor was feeling depressed and alone. He had a disagreement with his wife. "At 8:45 [p.m.], Mike texted all of his siblings and his wife and he said 'I love you. Goodbye,'" Barrowman said. She went to check on him, heard a gunshot and called 911.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12182853

Batchelor was upset that his wife, who filed for divorce last week, had left the home with their three children that night, Howard said. Batchelor then sent her a cell phone text message that read, "I love you and goodbye."

After receiving the message, Batchelor's wife called his sister, who went to the home to check on her brother, Howard said. When she and a neighbor arrived, the doors of the home were locked. The pair called police when they heard a gunshot, Howard said, and police arrived at 8:52 p.m.