• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chantilly Gun Show minus Georgia Arms

nova

imported post

DAMN!!!

GA Arms still have not shipped my order, which I placed NOVEMBER 08!!! I was hoping to get some more of their new gold dot ammo at the show. Now it looks like I'll try to get some 9BPLE or Ranger ammo if that other guy's still going to be there (the pallets of AK ammo guy).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Have to wonder if the problem is material (brass) or trained labor related.

Hope they make the RIR show here in May - they have been a major player in the supply chain.

Yata hey

6L6GC

imported post

personally, I have "had i t" with them anyway. They used to be real nice guys. but of late they've become somewhat snippy. Not only that but they come to the show with boat loads of stuff that doesn't sell, then haul most of it back with them.

meanwhile, their bins of 380, 45, 9mm, etc are empty by 0930 of the first day. I asked the guy why they didn't leave some of the 44-40 and etc. home and bring more stuff they could sell, and he said because it's what people want. He explained that cowboy shooters want this stuff.

But, I pointed out, you're packing up cases of it to haul back home. How many cases of 9mm and 380 could you have sold?????????

Besides I mostly reload anyway.

IanB

imported post

nova wrote:
DAMN!!!

GA Arms still have not shipped my order, which I placed NOVEMBER 08!!! I was hoping to get some more of their new gold dot ammo at the show. Now it looks like I'll try to get some 9BPLE or Ranger ammo if that other guy's still going to be there (the pallets of AK ammo guy).
Wow, for a revolver guy you seem to know what's good in the 9MM SD department. When Iask for9BPLEfromAMMO DEALERS at the shows they have NO CLUE what I'm talking about. 9BPLE, your one stop resource for one shot stopping power in 9MM!

:celebrate

Riana

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Still going, as much as I like the Ga. Arms guys, there will be other ammo dealers.
True. Problem is, they'll be sold out in the first 30 minutes, too. :?

tag

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
nova wrote:
DAMN!!!

Wow, for a revolver guy you seem to know what's good in the 9MM SD department. When Iask for9BPLEfromAMMO DEALERS at the shows they have NO CLUE what I'm talking about. 9BPLE, your one stop resource for one shot stopping power in 9MM!

I found a guy selling 9BPLE for $10/box at the Chantilly gun show the other month! Needless to say, I bought all the boxes he had (about 6).

nova

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
nova wrote:
DAMN!!!

:lol: well I made the switch to a semi-auto in 9mm, right now I'm using 124gr +P Gold Dots (NYPD load). I figure I can't go wrong with any of these (Gold Dots, 9BPLE, 127gr Ranger, etc.)
But I've never heard anyone complain about the ineffectiveness of 9BPLE, and it's been around for quite a while compared to others.
tag wrote:

I found a guy selling 9BPLE for $10/box at the Chantilly gun show the other month! Needless to say, I bought all the boxes he had (about 6).
I wonder if I'll be that lucky at the next show :banghead:

:lol:

Hell I'd pay 30/box if it's available there like I saw last time!

trio

imported post

respectfully, guys, the 115 grain +p+ round has pretty much been shown to be one of the worst self defense 9mm rounds...

the FBI just recently adopted the winchester 147 grain bonded round for use in their 9mms.....

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/accessories/press-releases/1659042-FBI-Awards-Second-Ammunition-Contract-to-Winchester/

i had the pleasure of speaking to the gentlemen responsible for the FBI ballistic testing when I was in VA Arms one day and they recommended

1) Winchester Bonded 147 grain (either the Ranger or the new PDX ammo they are marketing to civilians)

2) Federal 147 grain HSTs

3) Speer 147 grain gold dots

beyond that they said they would take any of the above ammo in the 124 grain or the 124 grain +p level, as well as Ranger Bonded 127 grain +p+....beyond that, though, they said the 115 grain +p+ ammo did not reliably penetrate or expand througgh too many mediums (including just denim) and that the lighter bullet, traveling that fast, tended to fragment too often and not give reliable wound channels....

FWIW....i

Neplusultra

imported post

trio wrote:
beyond that they said they would take any of the above ammo in the 124 grain or the 124 grain +p level, as well as Ranger Bonded 127 grain +p+....beyond that, though, they said the 115 grain +p+ ammo did not reliably penetrate or expand througgh too many mediums (including just denim) and that the lighter bullet, traveling that fast, tended to fragment too often and not give reliable wound channels....
Are you saying slow and heavy is better? Personally, I carry the 230 grain version. Sorry, didn't mean to light that fuse :D

trio

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
trio wrote:
Are you saying slow and heavy is better?  Personally, I carry the 230 grain version.  Sorry, didn't mean to light that fuse :D

hahaha....no, sorry, didn't mean to start that...

having said, that, though, one of the other things the guys did say is the new gen .40 (180 grain bonded rounds) were outperforming and expanding better than earlier gen .45 (gold sabers was the example he gave)

certainly interesting....they also stressed hit placement, hit placement, hit placement....its stuff we have known for a long time, but its nice to hear it articulated by the "experts"

Marco

imported post

trio wrote: snip
respectfully, guys, the 115 grain +p+ round has pretty much been shown to be one of the worst self defense 9mm rounds...

the FBI just recently adopted the winchester 147 grain bonded round for use in their 9mms.....
The fed's have requirements that are important to them but may not apply to you and I.
The fed's also adopted 10mm but some agents complained about recoil, my wife shoots 10mm just fine. :lol:

As for the first statement:
http://www.handloads.org/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0

I'm, not a fan of the OSS but there it is.

Do you envision shooting a 2 layer denim clad BG sitting behind auto glass.?:lol:

IMHO, 147 non +P/+P+ is for suppressed firearms only, no super sonic crack.

[line]

my ammo order arrived weeks ago, I'm flush with DA.

trio

imported post

no offense, but that article is at least 3 years out of date, and doesn't take into account the new bonded loads....

go here

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/testing/testing.aspx#

and launch the comparison tool...you will see the 147 grain bonded outperforms all of the other 9mm rounds

I know Federal has a similar tool, but I can't find it now on the internet...I have seen the hard copy (i.e. poster) version of it that shows HST compared to hydroshoks and I believe the 115 grain +p+ rounds....i don't want to say that completely, though, because I can't find it right now....I know where I can get my hands on a hard copy, though, and I will see if there isn't some reference to where it can be found on the internet...

and, to answer your first question, I want the round to do whatever I need it to do...there was an incident in Prince William County not to long ago where a woman left her child in his car seat in front of her house because she forgot something and was running back inside to get it...when she came out a guy was trying to remove the kid from the car....fortunately he ran off when she confronted him...

clearly, in that scenario, you wouldn't engage if there was a chance of hitting your child...but if he got in the driver's seat and was going to drive off? you damn right I want to be able to engage him through glass and his leather jacket....

Marco

imported post

trio wrote:
no offense, but that article is at least 3 years out of date, and doesn't take into account the new bonded loads....
None taken.:D

3yrs old but real world results, not manufactures propaganda.:lol:

I shoot something larger then 9mm anyway, most of the time.

trio

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
trio wrote:

i gotcha...and you're absolutely right....i will be interested to see a similar chart created when the new generation of ammunition is available longer....my purpose was simply to point out that not even Federal LE ammo reps recommend the 9BLE anymore....so if you are at the Chantilly show don't feel like you can't get good JHP ammo if you can't find that stuff

the key, in the end, is to carry what you are confident in....regardless of where that confidence comes from....as I said a couple posts up, there is still no substitution for shot placement....a well placed FMJ round is still superior to poorly placed JHP rounds of any generation....

good talk! I'll see you out there :cool:

nova

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
trio wrote:

No one would say the 125gr .357mag isn't one of the best self defense cartridges around for handguns, yet I'm sure "on paper" through FBI tests it wouldn't be so great. It has a great "street record" along with 9mm +P+ 115gr, and I believe that's worth more than any test the FBI can come out with. Funny how now the fad in 9mm is 147gr. Even 5 years ago people would be jumping all over it saying 147gr 9mm is a complete failure and its not going fast enough to expand bla bla bla, just shows you the advances in bullet technology, like the 147gr Gold Dot and HST for example.
Right now I'm loaded up with 124gr +P Gold Dots btw.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Until I see it on Mythbusters or the Box o' Truth, it's just a bunch of government workers conducting a study to produce the results they wanted.