• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chantilly Gun Show minus Georgia Arms

nova

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Until I see it on Mythbusters or the Box o' Truth, it's just a bunch of government workers conducting a study to produce the results they wanted.
I can see mythbusters doing that...haha 9mm vs. 45? Light and fast vs. heavy and slow? :lol:

nova

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Hmmm looks like a non issue to me.
I've seen that pic posted many times, do you know what brand/load was used for that? Still by going by that pic, a few 124gr 9mm loads match the velocity of that .357sig, many others come close.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Hmmm looks like a non issue to me.
Very pretty picture, but I still like my .45ACP... it gives me a warm fuzzy inside just thinking about that nearly 1/2" diameter hollow point round entering and exiting something that is less than 12" thick... :idea::D:shock::cool::dude::lol:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

bdodds wrote:
i agree, i'm sticking to .45..

besides, fat, heavy and slow is far more apropos for a guy like me.. :)
I happen to resemble that remark, too. I think the .45 is like a baseball bat and the 9mm like a tennis racket. I'd rather not get hit with either one, but I'd sure feel better from the other end using a baseball bat than a tennis racket!

nova

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
bdodds wrote:
i agree, i'm sticking to .45..

besides, fat, heavy and slow is far more apropos for a guy like me.. :)
I happen to resemble that remark, too. I think the .45 is like a baseball bat and the 9mm like a tennis racket. I'd rather not get hit with either one, but I'd sure feel better from the other end using a baseball bat than a tennis racket!
I agree for the most part, but I feel just as comfortable carrying a 9mm as I do a .45 as long as I'm using good ammo (like Federal 115gr +P+ or Speer 124gr +P Gold Dots).

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Hokie wrote:
Hitting the bad guy is more important then what caliber you hit them with.
Very true. I carry 9mm 124g Speer Gold Dot +P and I have no fear that I can drop someone with it. I practice drawing a lot because if you can't hit them then it's not going to stop them. If you miss them with a .45 or a 9mm, you still missed them:p

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Hokie wrote:
Very true. I carry 9mm 124g Speer Gold Dot +P and I have no fear that I can drop someone with it. I practice drawing a lot because if you can't hit them then it's not going to stop them. If you miss them with a .45 or a 9mm, you still missed them:p
I carry the same gold dot load. I like its bonded construction because that combined with the 9mm's velocity means better barrier penetration than .45.

http://intrencik.com/357sig.htm

according to that site, 124gr +P Gold Dots goes through more steel than 124gr FMJ NATO.

Riana

imported post

Hokie wrote:
Amen to that. Extra ventilation is most likely going to get BG's attention, at least.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Hokie wrote:

AMEN! Shot Placement is EVERYTHING, my Brothers and Sisters!

Even a .22 or .25 would cure your troubles when located in the right place.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Hokie wrote:

AMEN! Shot Placement is EVERYTHING, my Brothers and Sisters!

Even a .22 or .25 would cure your troubles when located in the right place.
Yes but unless your ODA 226, I think that it's hard to get a perfect head shot with .22 in a self defense situation:p

MSC 45ACP

imported post

There's a few of us that aren't too bad in the marksmanship department. I don't usually toot my own horn, but the card was played and I couldn't let it stand...

General Custer Memorial Trophy Medal
1993 National Matches, Camp Perry, OH
Top 10% finish in the National Trophy Match

===================================

My "bonehead" target. I had "cleaned" targets in lower matches before, but I shot this 25 yard target in the above mentioned match in 93.

This is the standard B-8 target. One Hand, 25 Yards; 5 Rounds, 20 Seconds (twice) with .45 NM pistolshooting hardball 230 gr FMJ. Iron sights of course.

There are 10 holes there... I "tossed" one at 6:00 that is a "9". That "flyer" ruined a perfect score (on that target).

I "usedtacould" shoot pretty good, but I'm getting old and my eyes are goin...

CRF250rider1000

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Anyone can do it, really... Just sight allignment and trigger control. :cool:
Yea I'm pretty good with my Glock(compared to some lol), but one day here I'd like to get a nice target model of something. I think my next purchase will be a Glock 30 or SA 1911. We'll see after that what I get into;)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

If you have the time next year, I'll take you down to Norfolk County Gun Club where they used to have a Wednesday Night Indoor Pistol league. I'll do some research and let you know when the season starts/ends. Its a great place to get started as its really informal and the people there are really friendly and helpful. I shot in the league there back in the early 90's. All you need is a .22, a centerfire and a .45. They don't have to be match grade when you're starting out. A lot of guys start with an off the shelf Series 70 1911 (series 80 and after aren't as easy to accurize). Any .22 LR Auto will work as most of them shoot better than the loose nut behind the sights (the shooter). I remember seeing a lot of guys shooting Rugers. I had a S&W Mod 41HB that was pretty finicky about what it ate, but I never saw a Ruger that wouldn't eat everything it was fed. if you're interested, I'll find a rulebook for you for qualifying pistols. It would also be an easy way for you to get an NRA classification and down the road, you can get a DCM (CMP) rifle (M-1 Garand) for about $500.