• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Somebody Go Buy it!

Mainsail

imported post

Mary's has a beautiful new Armalite AR10 for ~$1500. I saw it Saturday and its image percolated in my head all day Sunday and Monday. I considered it for an investment, for a shooter, and just because I really want one and it may not be long before they aren’t available anymore. But, (sigh) I just can’t swing it right now. Somebody needs to go pick it up and remove the temptation!

EDIT: The one at Mary's is the flat-top model, not the one pictured below.

AR10A2_RIFLE%20medium.jpg

Wheelgunner

imported post

Unless it's an M1A, it's useful as a kids gun, for training or for teaching safety or popping cans. Who would buy a rifle that purposefully blows dirt into it's own action?

My son has a 10mm AR that takes Grease gun mags. 36 rounds per stick and the 180gr bullets come out at 1800fps. Kind of a 44 magnum sub-gun like Jeff Cooper's proposed "Thumper". It's role is really only useful as a backup or as an Urban rifle.

When they kids grow up, it's time for them to move up to a mans gun. Something with "Springfield Armory" printed on it shooting 7.62 x 51.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Thanks!

Frankly I was astonished at the 10mm performance. I have to tell you, I am tempted by the new Bren Ten remake that is coming down the pike. The Fortis by Vltor. If I ever were to switch to an auto, that would be the gun, though I would have to change my name!

The 10mm is incredible out of a short carbine. I am tempted to do some research using the 10mm and slow powders (AA#9, 800-X, etc) to see just what I could get from a 16 inch barrel with a good bullet weight (170 to 200gr) at reasonable pressure. I bet I could get a 175 gr Silvertip to 1900 out of a carbine, giving me 1403 fpe at the muzzle and over 1000 fpe at 100 yards or 44 magnum muzzle energy at 100 yards.

What a "pistol" carbine!

ElJefe1911

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
But it's an AR... Why all the excitement?:p
Maybe he likes to hit what he is aiming at. ;)Not everyone wants to dress up like Patrick Swayze.

just_a_car

imported post

ElJefe1911 wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
But it's an AR... Why all the excitement?:p
Maybe he likes to hit what he is aiming at. ;)Not everyone wants to dress up like Patrick Swayze.
Yeah, but if you can't hit something with an AK, spending more money on an AR is like trying to drive motocross better by buying a Ferrari over a Toyota MR-2.

AK: 2-6" groups at 100 yards.
AR: 0.3-2" groups at 100 yards.
MN: What target?
:p

Wheelgunner

imported post

I bet I could get a 175 gr Silvertip to 1900 out of a carbine, giving me 1403 fpe at the muzzle and over 1000 fpe at 100 yards or 44 magnum muzzle energy at 100 yards.

Using my carbine, I was unable to get the performance I boasted. Best was 1650- 1700 fps in a carbine with 800-X.

Good against Orcs, but not Elephants.