• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What not to do at a traffic stop

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
ProShooter, we should get it trademarked. Lets make a deal. Have your people call my people. :D
Sorry my friend, I work alone....its the unwritten code of being a wannabe stand up comedian stuck inside a firearms instructors body....we're a rare breed.....loners, each and every one. We walk along side of no man. We travel where the wind takes us...we long for the love of.....oh heck, I need some cool whistling music to make this sound right - like in A Fistful of Dollars. :)

mercutio545

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
ProShooter, we should get it trademarked. Lets make a deal. Have your people call my people. :D
Sorry my friend, I work alone....its the unwritten code of being a wannabe stand up comedian stuck inside a firearms instructors body....we're a rare breed.....loners, each and every one. We walk along side of no man. We travel where the wind takes us...we long for the love of.....oh heck, I need some cool whistling music to make this sound right - like in A Fistful of Dollars. :)
Haha... this is true. Well, for what it's worth, I was definitely still in "reply" mode when you posted that golden term. You just have a quicker draw than me!

ProShooter

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
Haha... this is true. Well, for what it's worth, I was definitely still in "reply" mode when you posted that golden term. You just have a quicker draw than me!

In the Wild West, a man's quickness in his draw was the difference in life or death, son. :)

Jokes aside, I used to have one of the quickest draws in my department. I worked on it for a while and I could draw from a high retention duty holster, fire 2 rounds in 3 seconds and reholster before most of my co-workers were on target. I need to get back out there and work on that skill. Got to stay ready.

Marco

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
In the Wild West, a man's quickness in his draw was the difference in life or death, son. :)

I thought it was the ability to shoot well while intoxicated.:lol:
Having eyes in the back of your head was probably more of an assest then the QD.

wylde007

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
So when a cop from Richmond takes your gun during a traffic stop.. think back to this event and you may understand why.
I'm not sure I agree with the logic of disarming everyone for the officer's "safety". What about the citizen's safety?

We've all seen enough negligence and abuse videos to know that as soon as a citizen is rendered defenseless he is truly at the mercy of the officer.

Sometimes that ends very badly for the citizen, whether he committed a crime or not.

To me, it's like playing that damned video game Dragon's Lair. Either you attack too early and kill the girl or you wait to long and the monster eats you.

Unfortunately neither the cop nor the citizen has the benefit of premonition on their side. But disarming a citizen for a traffic stop is pushing it. What if every citizen was armed? Every last one? Would the officer disarm every citizen or just certain ones? Could that be considered discriminatory?

I think that it could be.

Now, if the person pulled over is shuffling around in his vehicle and acting suspicious or is belligerent or uncooperative, then you might have a case... but certainly not when the citizen advises (which is unnecessary) or is otherwise non-confrontational.

The other solution is to simply stay the heck out of Richmond. Nothing but thugs, breeders and interlopers there anyway.:D

It's like that old joke about Canada, nothing but hookers and hockey players.:lol:

ProShooter

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
..........who's the Ugly?
2474.jpg

Jonesy

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...

LEO 229

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
So when a cop from Richmond takes your gun during a traffic stop.. think back to this event and you may understand why.
I'm not sure I agree with the logic of disarming everyone for the officer's "safety". What about the citizen's safety?

We've all seen enough negligence and abuse videos to know that as soon as a citizen is rendered defenseless he is truly at the mercy of the officer.

Sometimes that ends very badly for the citizen, whether he committed a crime or not.

To me, it's like playing that damned video game Dragon's Lair. Either you attack too early and kill the girl or you wait to long and the monster eats you.

Unfortunately neither the cop nor the citizen has the benefit of premonition on their side. But disarming a citizen for a traffic stop is pushing it. What if every citizen was armed? Every last one? Would the officer disarm every citizen or just certain ones? Could that be considered discriminatory?

I think that it could be.

Now, if the person pulled over is shuffling around in his vehicle and acting suspicious or is belligerent or uncooperative, then you might have a case... but certainly not when the citizen advises (which is unnecessary) or is otherwise non-confrontational.

The other solution is to simply stay the heck out of Richmond. Nothing but thugs, breeders and interlopers there anyway.:D

It's like that old joke about Canada, nothing but hookers and hockey players.:lol:
I do not agree with disarming everyone either. As I posted... I have only disarmed a few people out of all that I have found to be armed.

Oh yes... we have ALL seen the videos. Out of 900,000 cops each doing an average of at least 2 stops a day 5 days a week, and 52 weeks a year.

Be honest... we are looking at a minimum of 468,000,000 stops a year alone and how many videos do we have? I rest my case. :lol:

Sure, the citizen is at a disadvantage. You are expected to obey the LEO when he is lawfully stopping you. He could do a variety of things to cause you harm while you are disarmed. But I am going to have to point back at the 468,000,000 stops a year. It simply is not the norm and the odds are so against it. ;)

People are stopped every day and no harm has come to them by a LEO. He only wants to issue a ticket or do some other official business task. Many people have been disarmed during stop you do not know about?

Most of the stuff on the news is caused by some other factor. High risk stops, pursuits, escapes, something violent happening. In that... there is always risk. In this case a guy steps out with a gun. The cop did not pick the guy knowing he was do that just so he could shoot him.

It normally plays out this way.

LEO stops car or person.
Person is confrontational, refuses to do as instructed, or attacks
LEO attempts to stop, detain, or arrest person
Fight is started
Weapons are deployed.
Someone dies

When the LEO just wanted to talk or give you a ticket.

Cops are not in the habit of finding people to "execute" either. That is just laughable. If they intended to cause you harm... I suspect they would just walk up and do it. Not disarm you first and then beat you to death.

But this is a common defense for NOT being disarmed by the police. But in the same breath they will say... The police should not assume I will cause them harm because I an armed.

So we have cops might want to harm me and they should not think I want to harm them.

So we have the double standard in the circular logic at play. :shock:

:D

kenny

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
kenny wrote:

The area is a known late night hang out area for punks and thugs. If anything can be learned from this is, when the police officers says "put the gun down" you do it no questions asked.
^I've lived a block away from here for more than 3 years. This is completely untrue. I go to Aladdins all the time. It only gets thuggish after you cross Belvidere. The only questionable place within a quarter mile or so is Hyperlink, but that place has been under heavy watch for a while now.
I stand by my earlier post. Check the facts for yourself. Go to richmondcrime.org and type in the address 700 W. Broad St. I went back a year and found several hundred reports, many of which were violent offenses.

Perhaps since you live in the area and take offense at MY terms of punks & thugs, perhaps you then are a "drut". I remember you from the Kroger posts.

By the way, what is "heavy watch"?

Wooley

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Anyone can decide to kill me at any point during the stop. So I have to keep this in mind and be ready.. mentally and physically.

Go to the gym and try reading the VA code first...

LOL,I HAD to do it LEO... :D

LEO 229

imported post

Wooley wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Anyone can decide to kill me at any point during the stop. So I have to keep this in mind and be ready.. mentally and physically.

Go to the gym and try reading the VA code first...

LOL,I HAD to do it LEO... :D
OMG.. you're killing me!!!! Not IRL but only with words.

mercutio545

imported post

kenny wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
kenny wrote:

The area is a known late night hang out area for punks and thugs. If anything can be learned from this is, when the police officers says "put the gun down" you do it no questions asked.
^I've lived a block away from here for more than 3 years. This is completely untrue. I go to Aladdins all the time. It only gets thuggish after you cross Belvidere. The only questionable place within a quarter mile or so is Hyperlink, but that place has been under heavy watch for a while now.
I stand by my earlier post. Check the facts for yourself. Go to richmondcrime.org and type in the address 700 W. Broad St. I went back a year and found several hundred reports, many of which were violent offenses.

Perhaps since you live in the area and take offense at MY terms of punks & thugs, perhaps you then are a "drut". I remember you from the Kroger posts.

By the way, what is "heavy watch"?
Yes, I live in the area, as do many thousands of other VCU students. Where in my previous post did I take offense to you calling people punks and thugs? I was just reporting my observations over the past few years. I don't catch wind of every bump in the night, but from what I've experienced, it hasn't been that bad. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. :p

A drut? What's that? A drug slut? Why is there a need for name calling? In my two and a half years here on OCDO, I don't think I've ever had someone call me a name, or act in such an immature manner. And what do the "Kroger posts" have to do with anything? I just reported an OC encounter. I thought that was what this board was about? Talking about open carry?

Heavy watch: Large police presence. Hyperlink and Club 534 usually have at least one or more cruisers parked outside during the busy nights.

kenny

imported post

A drut? What's that? A drug slut? Why is there a need for name calling? In my two and a half years here on OCDO, I don't think I've ever had someone call me a name, or act in such an immature manner. And what do the "Kroger posts" have to do with anything? I just reported an OC encounter. I thought that was what this board was about? Talking about open carry?

Heavy watch: Large police presence. Hyperlink and Club 534 usually have at least one or more cruisers parked outside during the busy nights.
There is a police car parked on my block every night. Perhaps the vehicle you see belongs to an officer who lives close by or one that is working off duty.

The Kroger incident if it did happen must have been provoked by you because no one at that Kroger knows anything about it.

As far as drut it could be a compliment, I'll let you know one day. If you don't know what it is how you you pass judgement on whether or not it or I are mature or not?

mercutio545

imported post

kenny wrote:

There is a police car parked on my block every night. Perhaps the vehicle you see belongs to an officer who lives close by or one that is working off duty.

The Kroger incident if it did happen must have been provoked by you because no one at that Kroger knows anything about it.

As far as drut it could be a compliment, I'll let you know one day. If you don't know what it is how you you pass judgement on whether or not it or I are mature or not?
I don't see any cruisers at those locations at night during the "off" nights. The ones at Hyperlink are usually in parked different locations close by (street, lot across from hyperlink, lot beside it), but the one at 534 is always parked in between the Broad St. parking deck, and Ghana House. The officer is either in his car, or at the door. I imagine it's a "paid police" setup, like how it is at Kroger.

I'm not sure how the Kroger encounter would have been provoked. I was just checking out, carrying normally as I always do, and the officer approached me and initiated the encounter. Later, I found out the Kroger's corporate policy is anti-gun, so the officer was, in fact right about telling me to leave (he just could have been a little less threatening. He got the point across though). Not a big deal. I just don't shop there anymore. I only spend my money at places that don't have an issue with legal carry, as does most of the pro-2A community.

Well, if my interpretation of "drut" was wrong, then thanks for the compliment! I suppose that since you live in the area, then you're a "drut" too! I was just googling around, and that was the only slang reference of "drut" I could find. Fits quite well with punks and thugs, doesn't it?

leprechaun117

imported post

This all happened right across the street from where 2 VCU students got shot (on my buddy's front stoop...) like a year ago.

My ex's dorm was right by hyperlink too... Got to hear all that bs nightly.

About time they actually did something about it (I.e. shot back)