• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How is this anti-gun?

possumboy

imported post

Legba

imported post

Is it supposed to be anti-gun? My only objection is saying it's a privilege instead of a right.

-ljp

chiefjason

imported post

Softening of a "right" to a "privilege". It's preemptive and made to bolster the anti's. A privilige can be taken away by law easier than a right can.

There is a tremendous game of semantic chess going on these days. The MIAC, the DHS, painting conservatives as anti immigration instead of anti illegal immigration, anti stem cell research instead of anti embryonic stem cell research, assault weapons instead of machine guns, the list goes on. Just a little tweak in the wording to change the entire meaning.

I think most folks will not see it as blatantly anti. I think it's a good try, but a lot of folks will take it pro gun. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Looks like an average Joe scaring off a bad guy while envoking the 2nd A. I think maybe the artist is seeing the light. We'll get through eventually, one anti at a time. It behooves us to write to him and thank him for modifying his position. :celebrate

AZkopper

imported post

The questions are as follows:

Does the cartoonist now feel that gun ownership is a valid form of protection against crime? If not, then what is the meaning of the cartoon?

Is the "privelidge" vs "right" cartoon word bubble are veiled attempt to redefine the argument, or is the author just ignorant and making a semantics mistake?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Heres a blank for anyone interested.

"All I did was tell himmy bother isPhilip Van Cleave."

"All I said was that I grew up in Texas."

"He suddenly remembered an appointment he had to keep. He asked me to pass along his compliments on the flower beds."

"He asked if the lady of the house was in. I told him you were getting the shotgun."

"He said he was a crow-bar salesman. I said I was gun salesman."