• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry around co-workers

Jblack44

imported post

Any thoughts on this? I've been carrying to and from work. Policy doesn't let me bring it in the building. But at lunch times if I leave I carry it. This has only been with myself so far. Any opinions are carrying when out with a group of co-workers? I can conceal.

SQLtables

imported post

Up to you. At my previous job, it wouldn't have mattered much, but at others, who knows. have you talked to your coworkers about carrying? Even if you aren't breaking any policy, you might still have to deal with issues that your coworkers might cause. Also, are you sure that policy doesn't prohibit firearms in the parking lot too? If it does, and you carry around co-workers, I suppose they could cause a stink about you having it in your car.

ghostrider

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
Any thoughts on this? I've been carrying to and from work. Policy doesn't let me bring it in the building. But at lunch times if I leave I carry it. This has only been with myself so far. Any opinions are carrying when out with a group of co-workers? I can conceal.
I think it's like just about anything else topic related. How well do you trust your co-workers to be discreet? Are you comfortable with them (and probably others) knowing that your leaving a gun in your car while you are at work? There are a lot of things to think about concerning your question. It's a lot like OC. You should be fully knowledgeable, and consider the pro's and con's before making a decision.

Understand that if you start carrying around them, that they will start asking questions about it. Chances are that it will probably get back to your boss, and they may assume that you carry to work.

Think it through and honestly ask yourself what would happen if you carried around those people.

I'm not saying, "don't do it.", but since it could affect your work, you should consider the ramifications.

DanM

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:

I'm assuming you drive a vehicle to work. Be sure about policy. Does your employer merely prohibit firearms in the building, or on all its property including parking lot? If the latter, OC'ing around co-workers off-site could lead to problems, unless youalso park off-site.

If you're ok by whatever policiesthey have, then you should be fine toOC anywhere else you please, lawfully of course. My opinion on OC'ing with coworkers is that I would, personally in my circumstances, not have a problem with doing so but I would have a courtesy "heads up" talk with my relevantcoworkersaboutwhat they will see, that it is legal, and ask them if they have any questions about it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:

I read part of a thread over at GT where an employee whodiscussedhis CCwitha co-worker at their place of work was fired. Apparently, the co-worker informed the manager and the manager called the police. A couple of LEO's show up, disarm, seize the employee's gun and tell him he can pick it up at the PD, IIRC.Keep in mind that the employee violated no firearm laws, only company policy.

IMO, you're respecting your employers rights by not carrying in the building. However, If your employer prohibits firearms on the property, to include the parking lot, I really don't think your violating his/her rights by keeping it in your vehicle-it is your vehicle.

IMO, if you continue to carry to and from work, do not discuss carrying/keeping the gun in your car with co-workers. In other words, keep the pie hole shut and carry on. :cool:

Edit: Formatting

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Jblack44 wrote:

I read part of a thread over at GT where an employee whodiscussedhis CCwitha co-worker at their place of work was fired. Apparently, the co-worker informed the manager and the manager called the police. A couple of LEO's show up, disarm, seize the employee's gun and tell him he can pick it up at the PD, IIRC.Keep in mind that the employee violated no firearm laws, only company policy.

IMO, you're respecting your employers rights by not carrying in the building. However, If your employer prohibits firearms on the property, to include the parking lot, I really don't think your violating his/her rights by keeping it in your vehicle-it is your vehicle.

IMO, if you continue to carry to and from work, do not discuss carrying/keeping the gun in your car with co-workers. In other words, keep the pie hole shut and carry on. :cool:

First, If it's on their property, it doesn't mater what our opinion is. Chances are they have a right to restrict it from their property, and that right must be respected until we the people change things through legislation.

Second, SpringerXCacp brings up a good point about keeping the pie-hole shut. If the company has a prejudice against guns (and they've already demonstrated it by banning them from the work place), then I personally wouldn not want to draw attention to myself. That would be the case even if I had another job lined up.

Michigan is an "at will" employment state, and they can fire you for no reason at all. That means that if they don't like your politics, or personal habits, then you could be out of a job.

Jblack44

imported post

I'm thinking i'll just keep to myself. I know of several people who brings guns to work for shooting at lunch time. (Bass Pro Shops is 5 minutes away). But I think keeping my pie hole shut is the best policy.

Thanks for your imput

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Jblack44 wrote:

First, If it's on their property, it doesn't mater what our opinion is. Chances are they have a right to restrict it from their property, and that right must be respected until we the people change things through legislation.

Second, SpringerXCacp brings up a good point about keeping the pie-hole shut. If the company has a prejudice against guns (and they've already demonstrated it by banning them from the work place), then I personally wouldn not want to draw attention to myself. That would be the case even if I had another job lined up.

Michigan is an "at will" employment state, and they can fire you for no reason at all. That means that if they don't like your politics, or personal habits, then you could be out of a job.

Please do not misunderstand my opinion. Iagree to the fact that an employer/business have a rightto prohibitweapons in and on their property, I simply feel that the space that occupies the passenger compartment or trunk of an employee's vehicleshould not violate company policy and should be off-limits to any search/seizure when no laws have been violated. If by chance, my beliefs didn't holdwater, then how did Florida, for example, pass a law to exempt storage of firearms in employee's vehicles? And yes, technically, keeping the firearm in your vehicle still violates the company policy if they prohibit firearms.

Look folks, I don't want this to become a flame war, I'm simply stating an opinion and I'm well aware of the fact that opinions don't mean squat. I still have doubts about an AG Opinion, but IANAL. :)

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Jblack44 wrote:

Please do not misunderstand my opinion. Iagree to the fact that an employer/business have a rightto prohibitweapons in and on their property, I simply feel that the space that occupies the passenger compartment or trunk of an employee's vehicleshould not violate company policy and should be off-limits to any search/seizure when no laws have been violated. If by chance, my beliefs didn't holdwater, then how did Florida, for example, pass a law to exempt storage of firearms in employee's vehicles? And yes, technically, keeping the firearm in your vehicle still violates the company policy if they prohibit firearms.

Look folks, I don't want this to become a flame war, I'm simply stating an opinion and I'm well aware of the fact that opinions don't mean squat. I still have doubts about an AG Opinion, but IANAL. :)
I agree with you on that. It would be nice if they passed such a law in MI. I also think that if certain establishments or employers ban lawful carry for SD, then they should be legally liable for any damages as a result. That would of course mean that the allowance of firearms removes any liability from the entity (establishment or employer).

Unfortunately, until we get such legislation passed, we must live with employers having the right to prohibit such items on company property.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Jblack44 wrote:

There are exceptions, and MI recognizes a "Public Policy" exception to the at-will rule. Under the public policy exception, an employer may not fire an employee if it would violate the state's public policy or a state or federal statute. The protection of private property rights is presumably the reason that the right of private property owners to prohibit firearms was explicitly stated in the CPL Act.