Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respond to this anti-gun blog

Post imported post

Some professor at JMU just made this blog post. Please comment on it and give your 2 cents. So far it's filled with anti-gun comments.

http://profmarti.blogspot.com/2009/0...on-campus.html

Post imported post

Done, I'm the one who posted three scenarios in reply to Brad....

BTW, there are plenty of other points to address both from the comments and the prof's article..... Shooting down these ridiculous arguments is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

If this guy is so out of touch with reality then he does not need to be teaching. He needs to be relieved of his teaching position and forbidden to teach at any school in the Commonwealth.

Post imported post

one thing that i constantly come away with when i talk to people who are anti-gun is just how much people project their own discomfort and insecurities onto everyone else. That, i think, is the part that alarms me most, since it's the emotion that our legislation governs with also.

I'm almost thinking that it's not a right vs. left issue so much as a logic vs. hoplophobia issue or something.

edit: discomfort, not uncomfort.. duh..

Post imported post

bdodds wrote:
    one thing that i constantly come away with when i talk to people who are anti-gun is just how much people project their own discomfort and insecurities onto everyone else. That, i think, is the part that alarms me most, since it's the emotion that our legislation governs with also.

I'm almost thinking that it's not a right vs. left issue so much as a logic vs. hoplophobia issue or something.

edit: discomfort, not uncomfort.. duh..
    I agree, read the posts by the antis, mostly students I take it. They use words like "fear", "afraid", "uncomfortable". Nothing rational or factual. That's why I suggested in my post, and in the SCCC thread, that they ask a protester to take them shooting, and the protesters to invite people who question them out to shoot.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I can't get the link to work.....is it down?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Finally got it to work - I left my comment.

Jim
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    I agree, read the posts by the antis, mostly students I take it. They use words like "fear", "afraid", "uncomfortable". Nothing rational or factual. That's why I suggested in my post, and in the SCCC thread, that they ask a protester to take them shooting, and the protesters to invite people who question them out to shoot.
    i have yet to have anyone take me up on that offer, it's difficult to change people's minds even slightly - if they perceive risk, it's going to take a lot of counseling to get over that..

case in point, yesterday i had lunch with a coworker who was appalled to see that i carried in my car.. he's a very logical person so i laid out the argument logically, and he totally agreed with every point that i made, but still couldn't get past the misanthropy to bring himself to go to a range.. he doesn't trust anyone other than himself to handle a firearm, therefore being at a range would be panic central for him.. yes, we've been through all of the illogicalities to that sentiment, but it's difficult to change..

i have to say now more than in my early years i have a large amount of empathy for anti-gun people, as most of them (at least the ones i run into personally) are just acting on emotion perpetuated from similar-minded people.. while possibly not in the same magnitude as changing popular perception about race or religion, it uses the same areas of the brain and has the same roadblocks toward success.. where as a xenophobe would want unlike people to go back to where they came from or similar, a hoplophobe wants guns to just go away.. once they accept the fact that they can't change some things (other people existing - guns being prevalent in our society) then it all starts to come into focus..

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    I can't get the link to work.....is it down?
    Worked fine for me...

This is the first article/blog that has recognied that people who are not students or faculty can already carry (open or concealed) on campus. Somehow they still don't realize that criminals don't follow the law, they trust that every one in the world is a good person. Naïve.

Post imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
    This is the first article/blog that has recognied that people who are not students or faculty can already carry (open or concealed) on campus. Somehow they still don't realize that criminals don't follow the law, they trust that every one in the world is a good person. Naïve.
    Wouldn't "naive" imply a sort of innocence? Innocence and ignorance.

One can only be naive if they have no knowledge of circumstance and situation. These people have more than enough opportunity to ingest and appreciate news and articles about the world around them.

No, they cannot be "naive" and simultaneously pontificate about the rights of others to carry based on their "feelings". They would be much better classified as being in a state of denial. I would use harsher terms... but it might hurt someone's "feelings".
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    leprechaun117 wrote:
    Wouldn't "naive" imply a sort of innocence?* Innocence and ignorance.

One can only be naive if they have no knowledge of circumstance and situation.* These people have more than enough opportunity to ingest and appreciate news and articles about the world around them.

No, they cannot be "naive" and simultaneously pontificate about the rights of others to carry based on their "feelings".* They would be much better classified as being in a state of denial.* I would use harsher terms... but it might hurt someone's "feelings".

Point taken. Blissful Ignorance? No, probably worse... But I wouldn't want to hurt their "feelings" either.

Post imported post

Commented.

Post imported post

Done!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Poeple who think and feel as this writer does are not about to be swayed. At least not until someone is is just about to kill them has a knife at their throat or a gun to their head. Then I would bet they would be praying for someone, anyone, to do something.

You see, these people have no problem sacrificing other people on the alter of their lofty agenda. Other people's concerns and lives must take a back seat to the furtherance of their utopian world.

And look at this sentence he writes.

"While I do not have a problem with any group or student acting upon their right to free speech, I do have concerns with the claims this group makes."

Since when is the Bill of Rights a Buffet of Rights? You can't pick and chose, they come as a package, and you must take them all.

I can tell you that with the fewest exceptions, anti-gun people would grapple and fight for a firearm to use if they were about to die.. assuming one was available, of course. They may like to lay claim to superior ideals and progressive thought than "the masses", but I can assure you when the SHTF, they're no different than the rest of us. They want to live.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

bdodds wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    i have to say now more than in my early years i have a large amount of empathy for anti-gun people, as most of them (at least the ones i run into personally) are just acting on emotion perpetuated from similar-minded people.. while possibly not in the same magnitude as changing popular perception about race or religion, it uses the same areas of the brain ......
    I think you are quite correct in your assessment of the dynamics of the anti-gunners. If you look how bigotry works, whether its anti-gun bigotry or bigotry on racial and religious grounds, there is a firmly-held, illogical belief that is so visceral and personal that an attempt at logical dissuasion is completely ineffective. I do use the term anti-gun BIGOTRY, since it does raise eyebrows, and hits liberals where they hurt: their overweening sense of how "tolerant" they are. I've seen some liberals have an epiphany when they are attacked or seriously threatened with harm. After that, it suddenly isn't so terrible to have a gun for self-defense. Where all the logic and reasonable discussion didn't make a dent, an event that is full of powerful negative emotion can immediately turn the tide.

Post imported post

I don't know why I'm being drawn to this blog like a moth to a flame.... sound arguments aren't going to do any good there. I guess I am just having fun practicing my debate skills.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

done
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Done and done.

I still find it hard to believe that some of those people are just so fix sated on being a victim.

Post imported post

Commented again. Apparently they think that permit holders will snap randomly and go on shooting rampages at any time :?

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Apparently they think that permit holders will snap randomly and go on shooting rampages at any time :?
    You'd think they would have noticed that this doesn't actually happen.

Anyway, I added my sound philosophies to the noise.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

It's funny how the educational demagogues can be so voracious in their lambasting of a movement like SCCC, considering the preponderance of evidence to the contrary of their arguments regarding schools being more safe with law abiding students and faculty going unarmed. You would think Virginia Tech alone would have caused them to rethink their position. I wonder the quality of education current JMU students are receiving if the intelligence of the faculty in general resembles the individual who created that blog. As another poster mentioned, James Madison would indeed be rolling over in his grave could he see his namesake now.

Post imported post

The ridiculous, emotional but...but...what if...stuff is just too much there. :X

Post imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
    I think you are quite correct in your assessment of the dynamics of the anti-gunners. If you look how bigotry works, whether its anti-gun bigotry or bigotry on racial and religious grounds, there is a firmly-held, illogical belief that is so visceral and personal that an attempt at logical dissuasion is completely ineffective. I do use the term anti-gun BIGOTRY, since it does raise eyebrows, and hits liberals where they hurt: their overweening sense of how "tolerant" they are. I've seen some liberals have an epiphany when they are attacked or seriously threatened with harm. After that, it suddenly isn't so terrible to have a gun for self-defense. Where all the logic and reasonable discussion didn't make a dent, an event that is full of powerful negative emotion can immediately turn the tide.
    As my father said, who I'm sure was quoting someone else; You cannot use reason to talk someone out of a position they did not use reason to talk themselves into. Or some such, I know I butchered it.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Commented again. Apparently they think that permit holders will snap randomly and go on shooting rampages at any time :?
    But don't you, we do. Happens all the time. Just read the papers or turn on ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN and see the carnage wraught by gun nuts. Hear about it all the time.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Just added mine. 2335 hrs, 25 APR.

I look forward to reading more Sheeple comments.

Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast