• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Respond to this anti-gun blog

Neplusultra

imported post

Done, I'm the one who posted three scenarios in reply to Brad....

BTW, there are plenty of other points to address both from the comments and the prof's article..... Shooting down these ridiculous arguments is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If this guy is so out of touch with reality then he does not need to be teaching. He needs to be relieved of his teaching position and forbidden to teach at any school in the Commonwealth.

bdodds

imported post

one thing that i constantly come away with when i talk to people who are anti-gun is just how much people project their own discomfort and insecurities onto everyone else. That, i think, is the part that alarms me most, since it's the emotion that our legislation governs with also.

I'm almost thinking that it's not a right vs. left issue so much as a logic vs. hoplophobia issue or something.

edit: discomfort, not uncomfort.. duh..

Neplusultra

imported post

bdodds wrote:
one thing that i constantly come away with when i talk to people who are anti-gun is just how much people project their own discomfort and insecurities onto everyone else. That, i think, is the part that alarms me most, since it's the emotion that our legislation governs with also.

I'm almost thinking that it's not a right vs. left issue so much as a logic vs. hoplophobia issue or something.

edit: discomfort, not uncomfort.. duh..
I agree, read the posts by the antis, mostly students I take it. They use words like "fear", "afraid", "uncomfortable". Nothing rational or factual. That's why I suggested in my post, and in the SCCC thread, that they ask a protester to take them shooting, and the protesters to invite people who question them out to shoot.

bdodds

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I agree, read the posts by the antis, mostly students I take it. They use words like "fear", "afraid", "uncomfortable". Nothing rational or factual. That's why I suggested in my post, and in the SCCC thread, that they ask a protester to take them shooting, and the protesters to invite people who question them out to shoot.
i have yet to have anyone take me up on that offer, it's difficult to change people's minds even slightly - if they perceive risk, it's going to take a lot of counseling to get over that..

case in point, yesterday i had lunch with a coworker who was appalled to see that i carried in my car.. he's a very logical person so i laid out the argument logically, and he totally agreed with every point that i made, but still couldn't get past the misanthropy to bring himself to go to a range.. he doesn't trust anyone other than himself to handle a firearm, therefore being at a range would be panic central for him.. yes, we've been through all of the illogicalities to that sentiment, but it's difficult to change..

i have to say now more than in my early years i have a large amount of empathy for anti-gun people, as most of them (at least the ones i run into personally) are just acting on emotion perpetuated from similar-minded people.. while possibly not in the same magnitude as changing popular perception about race or religion, it uses the same areas of the brain and has the same roadblocks toward success.. where as a xenophobe would want unlike people to go back to where they came from or similar, a hoplophobe wants guns to just go away.. once they accept the fact that they can't change some things (other people existing - guns being prevalent in our society) then it all starts to come into focus..

leprechaun117

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I can't get the link to work.....is it down?

Worked fine for me...

This is the first article/blog that has recognied that people who are not students or faculty can already carry (open or concealed) on campus. Somehow they still don't realize that criminals don't follow the law, they trust that every one in the world is a good person. Naïve.

wylde007

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
This is the first article/blog that has recognied that people who are not students or faculty can already carry (open or concealed) on campus. Somehow they still don't realize that criminals don't follow the law, they trust that every one in the world is a good person. Naïve.
Wouldn't "naive" imply a sort of innocence? Innocence and ignorance.

One can only be naive if they have no knowledge of circumstance and situation. These people have more than enough opportunity to ingest and appreciate news and articles about the world around them.

No, they cannot be "naive" and simultaneously pontificate about the rights of others to carry based on their "feelings". They would be much better classified as being in a state of denial. I would use harsher terms... but it might hurt someone's "feelings".

leprechaun117

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:
Wouldn't "naive" imply a sort of innocence?  Innocence and ignorance.

One can only be naive if they have no knowledge of circumstance and situation.  These people have more than enough opportunity to ingest and appreciate news and articles about the world around them.

No, they cannot be "naive" and simultaneously pontificate about the rights of others to carry based on their "feelings".  They would be much better classified as being in a state of denial.  I would use harsher terms... but it might hurt someone's "feelings".

Point taken. Blissful Ignorance? No, probably worse... But I wouldn't want to hurt their "feelings" either.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Poeple who think and feel as this writer does are not about to be swayed. At least not until someone is is just about to kill them has a knife at their throat or a gun to their head. Then I would bet they would be praying for someone, anyone, to do something.

You see, these people have no problem sacrificing other people on the alter of their lofty agenda. Other people's concerns and lives must take a back seat to the furtherance of their utopian world.

And look at this sentence he writes.

"While I do not have a problem with any group or student acting upon their right to free speech, I do have concerns with the claims this group makes."

Since when is the Bill of Rights a Buffet of Rights? You can't pick and chose, they come as a package, and you must take them all.

I can tell you that with the fewest exceptions, anti-gun people would grapple and fight for a firearm to use if they were about to die.. assuming one was available, of course. They may like to lay claim to superior ideals and progressive thought than "the masses", but I can assure you when the SHTF, they're no different than the rest of us. They want to live.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bdodds wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

i have to say now more than in my early years i have a large amount of empathy for anti-gun people, as most of them (at least the ones i run into personally) are just acting on emotion perpetuated from similar-minded people.. while possibly not in the same magnitude as changing popular perception about race or religion, it uses the same areas of the brain ......
I think you are quite correct in your assessment of the dynamics of the anti-gunners. If you look how bigotry works, whether its anti-gun bigotry or bigotry on racial and religious grounds, there is a firmly-held, illogical belief that is so visceral and personal that an attempt at logical dissuasion is completely ineffective. I do use the term anti-gun BIGOTRY, since it does raise eyebrows, and hits liberals where they hurt: their overweening sense of how "tolerant" they are. I've seen some liberals have an epiphany when they are attacked or seriously threatened with harm. After that, it suddenly isn't so terrible to have a gun for self-defense. Where all the logic and reasonable discussion didn't make a dent, an event that is full of powerful negative emotion can immediately turn the tide.

livitup

imported post

I don't know why I'm being drawn to this blog like a moth to a flame.... sound arguments aren't going to do any good there. I guess I am just having fun practicing my debate skills.

nova

imported post

Commented again. Apparently they think that permit holders will snap randomly and go on shooting rampages at any time :?:banghead::uhoh:

Tosta Dojen

imported post

nova wrote:
Apparently they think that permit holders will snap randomly and go on shooting rampages at any time :?:banghead::uhoh:
You'd think they would have noticed that this doesn't actually happen.

Anyway, I added my sound philosophies to the noise.