• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New and curious

lonewolf2810

imported post

I have my ccw and just wondering just how legal is it to open carry in N.C. I am new to the open carry thing and don't want to break any laws or lose my ccw for doing something stupid. And by the way I am glad to have found you guys this site is very informative.

glock30

imported post

Read the posts here. Open carry in NC is legal.

And don't let your CCW instructor tell you that once you have your concealed carry license you're no longer allowed to open carry. (Can't tell you how many times I've heard that one)

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Welcome to the forum!

Rather than sit here and re-write everything that has already been discussed over and over and over, I recommend you just browse through the threads that you think sound interesting to you. If a topic catches your eye, check it out.

There is lots of good information on this forum.

Brandon

chiefjason

imported post

Welcome.

You'll spend a month doing what Brandon said but it will be worth it. Or maybe I just read slow.:p A couple of recommendations to read.

state v kerner

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/state_v_kerner.txt

General Statutes to read the actuall laws, most are in 14 criminal law

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/state_v_kerner.txt

Municode if you want to check your city laws

http://www.municode.com/Resources/code_list.asp?stateID=33

BRobb19

imported post

Oh by the way, lonewolf, I have my CCH Permit also, and I still OC 95% of the time that I am carrying when outside of work.

Every now and again people ask me questions (which USUALLY tend to begin with "are you a COP??"), and I generally spend a moment to educate them about the laws. You would be surprised how many people think that the law forbids civilians from even bringing a gun outside of their home.

chiefjason

imported post

Brandon, is the second question usually, "Do you have a concealed carry permit?" Like that would automatically make OC much more acceptable for them. That is usually the second question I get. My 2 no answers usually get me this reaction. :what: :D

BRobb19

imported post

Lol, so I guess you are familiar with this process too eh??

Quite a few people do tend to make that the next question. Except, I've noticed that MOST of these people tend to word it as "OH, so you have your permit?", without specifying concealed or open, as if you must have a permit to carry a gun outside of your house PERIOD.

Instead of answering, I respond with, "Well, in North Carolina you actually don't need any permit to Open Carry a handgun, you only need one if you are concealing it."

After that, there have been a few ppl who proceeded to ask if I had a concealed carry permit, and I told them that I did, but that I didn't usually put it to much use.

I stopped in Wal-Mart late tonight to pick up some ammo (see the Wal-Mart ammo thread....), and while I was waiting on the manager to grab the ammo case keys, I chatted with one of the late night stockers (a young african-american lady, very nice), who I went through this routine with, because she saw me OC'ing.

Started of course with "You must be a cop." I told her that I wasn't and that I was just a regular person like her, and from there the rest of the conversation started about how it always does.

She then told me she was very scared of guns, and I told her that we tend to be afraid of things that we are not familiar with, as this is just our human nature. She admitted that she was not familiar with guns, and had never even shot one before. I tried to explain to her that they can be viewed merely as a tool that protects us from the "bad guys". She said "yeah but the bad guys have guns too." And I said, "Yes ma'am they do, and imagine that one of those bad guys plans to rob you and then kill you so that you can't identify him, what are you going to do?" She said, "I don't know." I said, "Well I know what I would do." When she stopped right there and thought about what I had just said, I could tell that I at LEAST gave her something to think about for the rest of her nightshift.

Another educational OC experience, as I seem to have more and more of these nowadays..

Brandon

chiefjason

imported post

Funny story. I ran into a guy at 2 different restaurants in one evening. We were doing the same thing. Wife gets one meal we get another, take out. At the second place we went through that question process. I noticed an older guy walk to the register. Spot us talking really friendly. The older guy spotted my handgun. After he placed his order he made a B line for the farthest corner from me. 10 people in the place and he nearly ran out. Closest thing to a "bad" experience.

I usually respond to the CCP question with "NC is an OC state" and start explaining. I had one cashier say "Well it's kinda legal." I told him that was like being kinda pregnant. It is or it isn't. And if noone does it then it will not stay legal. When I turned to leave the guy behind me had a big grin on his face. :D

Half the fun of OC for me is educating the sheeple. Oh, and the fantastic customer service is nice too. :lol:

BRobb19

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
Funny story. I ran into a guy at 2 different restaurants in one evening. We were doing the same thing. Wife gets one meal we get another, take out. At the second place we went through that question process. I noticed an older guy walk to the register. Spot us talking really friendly. The older guy spotted my handgun. After he placed his order he made a B line for the farthest corner from me. 10 people in the place and he nearly ran out. Closest thing to a "bad" experience.

I usually respond to the CCP question with "NC is an OC state" and start explaining. I had one cashier say "Well it's kinda legal." I told him that was like being kinda pregnant. It is or it isn't. And if noone does it then it will not stay legal. When I turned to leave the guy behind me had a big grin on his face. :D

Half the fun of OC for me is educating the sheeple. Oh, and the fantastic customer service is nice too. :lol:

LOL, I must admit that I agree. Ever since I began OC'ing EVERYWHERE that I go some time ago, the cashiers at Wal-Mart and Food Lion and Harris Teeter and gas stations all seem to be more interested in how I'm doing today than they ever had before..

amberalisemc

imported post

Started of course with "You must be a cop."  I told her that I wasn't and that I was just a regular person like her, and from there the rest of the conversation started about how it always does.

She then told me she was very scared of guns, and I told her that we tend to be afraid of things that we are not familiar with, as this is just our human nature.  She admitted that she was not familiar with guns, and had never even shot one before.  I tried to explain to her that they can be viewed merely as a tool that protects us from the "bad guys".  She said "yeah but the bad guys have guns too."  And I said, "Yes ma'am they do, and imagine that one of those bad guys plans to rob you and then kill you so that you can't identify him, what are you going to do?"  She said, "I don't know."  I said, "Well I know what I would do."  When she stopped right there and thought about what I had just said, I could tell that I at LEAST gave her something to think about for the rest of her nightshift.

Another educational OC experience, as I seem to have more and more of these nowadays..

Brandon

[/quote]

Thats really awesome. Being a girl I come across tons of them either at work or shopping that just have no clue about anything when it comes to well Anything that has to do with guns... I get the "Wow, it Is ok to protect yourself. If She can do it, I can do it" reaction and I love it. You guys have a great weekend.
Amber

chiefjason

imported post

amberalisemc wrote:
I didn't do that "quote" right. haha. Yea, I'm totally new at this. How does that go?
Amber, just hit the quote button on the bottom of the post you want to quote. It should automatically quote it into the reply page. And it will look like this.

amberalisemc

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
amberalisemc wrote:
I didn't do that "quote" right. haha. Yea, I'm totally new at this. How does that go?
Amber, just hit the quote button on the bottom of the post you want to quote. It should automatically quote it into the reply page. And it will look like this.
ah,i did that. it didn't do this last time. it had a bunch of html. i guess it was just messing up earlier. thanks.

BRobb19

imported post

amberalisemc wrote:
chiefjason wrote:
amberalisemc wrote:
ah,i did that. it didn't do this last time. it had a bunch of html. i guess it was just messing up earlier. thanks.

hi amber you look like youre cute!