• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TV News video captures consensual police encounter with Brad Krause open carrying!

HungSquirrel

imported post

Chief Ed Flynn said officers can't assume people are carrying guns legally in a city that has seen nearly 200 homicides in the past two years.
He said that means officers seeing anybody carrying a gun will put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide if the person has a right to carry it.
Is that what passes for "reasonable articulable suspicion" in that city? If so, methinks Milwaukee residents have much bigger problems than open carriers.

arizonaheat

imported post

You have to hit a few walls :banghead:before you get whatits allready yours, its sad but its true.

FREEDOM NOT JUST A WORD ITS A LIFESTYLE.

tito887

imported post

I think we can all be in agreement that the number one activist firearms website is opencarry.org Since I've joined I've seen opencarry.org take a far more principled stance and backed people whom have been under attack by their local and state governments. As far as I'm concerned. The NRA is a joke. I hope this group has the following that the NRA does in thirty years.

If your strapped for cash. Stop by Milwaukee. The attitude of the police chief makes me believe that several people are going to be winning very large lawsuits in the near future.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

tito887 wrote:
I think we can all be in agreement that the number one activist firearms website is opencarry.org
That's cause we're not just an Internet community with over 17,000 members, we're literally a movement!

Seriously, we are just normal people linked together thru a web site.

Anyway, me read is that now that the AG Opinion (err, memo) is out and well publicized, most police departments are fine with open carry and our going to experiment with polices on how to do consensual encounters like we saw with Brad - i know, looks a bit goofy, but let's go along with it - i am going to put out another release tonight blasting Milwaukee's police chief and saying gun owners and the Sherriff association are fine with orderly open carry and that gun owners are ready play ball in consensual encounters even though we have a right to ignore the police - after all, its not like open carriers are trying to be anonymous.

I know of lot of folks are starting to open carry around their neighborhoods, to the post box, local establishments, and I hope everybody can be like Brad and just politely interact with any police officers they bump into who we all know are carrying political bails of water for their Chiefs when they do these weird consensual encounter protocols. In a few months or year, open carry will become ho hum like it is in most states where it has become popular.

But if Milwaukee wants to "take down" mothers open carrying with their kids in the park, well then, that would be a big mistake and if the lawyers in Milwaukee have not heard of Section 1983 yet, we'll fly in some more layers from Georgia who have :cool:

PS. Watch those school zones folks and don’t even have encased guns in your passenger compartment (put them in trunk) - OC is not for amateurs in Wisconsin due to the crazy laws they have.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Nicely handled Brad!

Note to self: carry gun, holster, voice recorder , cellphone, copy of AG's memo, Parabellum's brochure and TV camera crew.... this is getting to be quite a check list!

suntzu

imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.wisn.com/news/19235901/detail.html- see video

Police response this time much nicer - proably not called for, but does not seem to me to be a non-consensual stop.
and if the news cameras had not been there the police would have put him on the concrete at gunpoint threatening him and cussing him...

two faced double standards--every one of them should be out of a job who mistreat the people--the police chief included.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

suntzu wrote:
Mike wrote:

Police response this time much nicer - proably not called for, but does not seem to me to be a non-consensual stop.
and if the news cameras had not been there the police would have put him on the concrete at gunpoint threatening him and cussing him...

two faced double standards--every one of them should be out of a job who mistreat the people--the police chief included.
Well, I doubt that - the word is out now, especially in West Allis.

Dianosis

imported post

Check out this bill Rep. Leon Young, from the video, is trying to get passed:

AB221:

This bill prohibits a gun manufacturer or a firearms dealer from transferring
a semiautomatic handgun that does not produce an identifying code (microstamp)
on each cartridge case it expends if both of the following apply: 1) the handgun was
manufactured on or after January 1, 2011; and 2) the handgun has not previously
been transferred to a person that is not a manufacturer or dealer (new handgun).
This bill also prohibits a manufacturer in this state from manufacturing, on or after
January 1, 2011, a semiautomatic handgun that does not produce a microstamp. A
person that violates one of these prohibitions is subject to a fine of up to $1,000 or
imprisonment for up to nine months, or both.
AB221
The bill also requires manufacturers and dealers who transfer a handgun that
is required to produce microstamps to certify that the handgun, if it is a new
handgun, produces microstamps and that the manufacturer of the handgun will
disclose to a law enforcement agency that has collected a microstamp from an
expended cartridge during a criminal investigation the make, model, and serial
number of the handgun that expended the cartridge.
AB221
This bill prohibits a person from modifying a semiautomatic handgun that
produces microstamps if the person intends to prevent law enforcement from being
able to access the microstamp on an expended cartridge. A person who violates this
prohibition is guilty of a misdemeanor and is subject to a fine of up to $1,000 or
imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or both. A person who transfers a
semiautomatic handgun that he or she knows has been modified in violation of this
prohibition is subject to a fine of up to $1,000 or imprisonment for not more than nine
months, or both.
Because this bill creates a new crime or revises a penalty for an existing crime,
the Joint Review Committee on Criminal Penalties may be requested to prepare a
report concerning the proposed penalty and the costs or savings that are likely to
result if the bill is enacted.
For further information see the state and local fiscal estimate, which will be
printed as an appendix to this bill.

So frustrating...:banghead:

hammer6

imported post

okay that representative pissed me off. he said we can't have people walking down the street carrying a gun IN THEIR HAND or holstered on their hip. umm- when i was in an open carry state, i didn't walk around with my gun in my hand...it stayed in my holster 24/7. i swear some people are idiots. especially elected officials.

imported post

Let me make sure I clearly understand this statement from the chief.
Starting today, HIS men will take down OC'ers and HIS men will determine if the OC'er has a RIGHT to carry?
LOL, lots and lots of lawsuits, here they come.
Any "law enforcement officer" seriously contemplating following the chief's absurd "policy" may want to read John Bad Elk vs United States first.

smithman

imported post

I really liked the LEO with his fake smile the whole time. I don't think he would have been so civil had the cameras not been there.

I think that LEOs around here may try to get someone worked up to expose the person to a disorderly charge. This is reinforcing the need for us to be utmost polite with LEOs especially until they get used to seeing us. An armed society is a polite society, especially when LEOs look for any reason to arrest.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Reps and Heads of police prove once again: the only difference between Public Enemy, and Public Office, is the press coverage.

This rep and chief are worse than the 'criminals' they dominate. Everyone who thinks the Bill of Rights is a good idea, is an enemy in their eyes. This makes them traitors.

They deserve nothing but a short drop and an abrupt stop.

Damn I wish I were there.

suntzu

imported post

Mike wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Mike wrote:

Well, I doubt that - the word is out now, especially in West Allis.
You doubt it and yet the police chief is telling his officers to take down anyone OC'ing at gunpoint, and has said that his department will do everything they can to stop people from OC'ing, even though there is nothing wrong with it?

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/news/milwaukee-police-ordered-to-arrest-take-guns-away-despite-legal-open-carry-laws/??right=news

Milwaukee Police Ordered to Arrest, Take Guns Away Despite Legal Open Carry Laws

MILWAUKEE, Wisc. — Milwaukee’s police chief said he’ll go on telling his officers to take down anyone with a firearm despite Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen’s finding that people can carry guns openly if they do it peacefully.
Chief Ed Flynn said officers can’t assume people are carrying guns legally in a city that has seen nearly 200 homicides in the past two years.
He said that means officers seeing anybody carrying a gun will put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide if the person has a right to carry it.
Flynn said it’s irresponsible to send a message that if someone carries a weapon openly no one can bother them.
Van Hollen issued a memo to the state’s district attorneys this week saying someone openly carrying a gun can’t automatically be charged with disorderly conduct. But he also said police have full rights to stop and question the person.
Flynn said his officers will do more than that in their efforts to fight crime.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Dianosis wrote:
Check out this bill Rep. Leon Young, from the video, is trying to get passed:

AB221:

This bill prohibits a person from modifying a semiautomatic handgun that
produces microstamps if the person intends to prevent law enforcement from being
able to access the microstamp on an expended cartridge. A person who violates this
prohibition is guilty of a misdemeanor and is subject to a fine of up to $1,000 or
imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or both. A person who transfers a
semiautomatic handgun that he or she knows has been modified in violation of this
prohibition is subject to a fine of up to $1,000 or imprisonment for not more than nine
months, or both.
What if I "modify" the semi pistol to stop a crook from using brass with my stamp
on them and reloading them to use in a crime.
This seems to make me exempt from the law, since I am doing it to stop from being
framed, not to stop leo from investigating the crooks gun that reuses the brass.
Fortunately I don't even need to visit the relatives up there anymore.
35 years later I am still gratefull I didn't accept Madison's invite for college.

HyDef

imported post

"The reason I'm checking is because felons can't have guns in Wisconsin," West Allis police said.

Last time I checked, it was illegal for convicted child molesters and sex offenders to be around children. Are they now going to stop every adult that is with a kid(s) to make sure they aren't one?

HariCarry

imported post

The ugly arrogance of some people in law enforcement is why it is SO difficult for many of us to be comfortable with those in the law enforcement community.