• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are we getting sidetracked?

Max

imported post

Are we getting sidetracked here by getting involved in a media war over our rights?
The media did not get Van Hollen to issue his memo, a lawsuit against West Milwaukee and Chilton did. Does it matter what Doyle, Barret, and General Ed Flynn say? The law is the law. I think trying to answer all the critics is a waste of time and instead we should keep doing what we were doing before the memo, only expand it.

Milwaukee is the eye of anti-constitutional beast and it is there we should make our stand. Let our rights collide with the promised abuse of power and see what happens. I say we need to get at least 30 people to commit to attend an open carry even in Milwaukee. Large numbers make legal action very inexpensive in a class action suit and really causes a PR dilemma for Flynn and his "troops". The more, the better. I think it is time that even the most timid of us put up or shut up.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I agree. I think first, its important that we all open carry more frequently. I intend to open carry this weekend. (its really the only time I am out and about) I intend to do my grocery shopping armed on Friday.

Second, I think we do need to have a mass effort to demonstrate to Ed Flynn that he's not above the law, I don't care who he thinks he is. HE LIVES UNDER THE SAME RULE OF LAW WE DO!

I suggested an open-carry protest outside his office. But whatever. I'm in. I can have TV there. Camera's tend to keep people honest also.

But the real test will be what happens when someone goes walking alone open-carrying in Milwaukee. Will that person have the opportunity to have recourse against a department that promises to "put them on the ground, disarm them and THEN decide what their rights are" rubbish...

borrowed time

imported post

From the comments in the Milwaukee Journal and the stance the editorial board has taken, you boys in the Milwaukee area have your plate full. Activism is great, but don't underestimate the power of the pen. You will never sway the left-leaning people that are definitely fearful of guns, but bringing the populace that are the fence-sitters to agree with the purpose and scope of open-carry is not a bad idea, write some letters to the Journal, if one gets published we may gain a few followers. Don't be aggressive, just facts and to the point.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As I have met with some of you, be assured my resolve stands. Get me the information on the picnic, protest, what have you, and I will have fliers printed and shipped. All we need is volunteers to take them to the gun shows, the gun clubs, and the sporting goods stores.

Those who know me, know I am a Westerner, from a Wisconsin point of view, I look out my window and see the mighty miss, but I will stand with my brothers in arms so to speak and together we shall see the change that was promised.

YES WE CAN!

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree Max we can't let ourselves get too caught up by the sensless talking of the police chief and mayor. During my interview today with TMJ4 I expressed that. I said that I don't care what the police chief or mayor said, these are our rights and will continue to use them! Sadly that wasn't shown on air though. Don't worry max, were also gaining support with the coverage. And oppistion of course will come with that. This battle will stay on the legal grounds. The media can only help by giving us more Wisconsin supporters.

Ben

Max

imported post

I had assumed that once the civil suit was filed, DAs from all over were seeking advice from the AG. What do you think caused the AG to speak up finally?

XDm-40_guy

imported post

From what I understand, it pretty much was the law suits that encouraged the memo from the AG. After the two cases LEOs and many others were curious about the wisconsin law so they started asking him or others what exactly the law was. So he decided to write the memo to clear everyone's confusion/curiosity. I could be wrong but that's the image I got from it all.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It matters not what inpired the Attorney General to issue his memorandum. What matters is that he did. What is also important is that those of us that do open carry do so in a lawful, peaceful. unobtrusive manner. In other words act like gentlemen and ladies. NO RAMBO. The last thing we need is to have someone get arrested for abusing our constitutional right. The media will chew us up and spit us out and everything we have fought for the last four years will be for naught and will never recover. By all means exercise our rights but lets do so in a proper and legal manner.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

XDm-40_guy wrote:
From what I understand, it pretty much was the law suits that encouraged the memo from the AG. After the two cases LEOs and many others were curious about the wisconsin law so they started asking him or others what exactly the law was. So he decided to write the memo to clear everyone's confusion/curiosity. I could be wrong but that's the image I got from it all.
Actually, our continued strategic engagement of the political establishment and citizenry thru the media is exactly what we need to do - anybody take note that Van Hollen cited to a newspaper article re brad's court case in his memo???