• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.380 head shot, through and through

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

A .380 slug managed to slip between the brain's hemispheres causing seemingly little damage. I personally carry a .380 from time to time, but I have no doubt thata larger and/or faster round would have probably killed her. Thank god the woman survived.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090418/ap_on_fe_st/odd_head_shot_survivor
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – A Mississippi woman who was shot in the head not only survived but made herself tea and offered an astonished deputy something to drink, authorities said Friday. Tammy Sexton, 47, remained hospitalized three days after being wounded by her husband, who killed himself after he shot his wife. A bullet struck her squarely in the forehead, passed through her skull and exited through the back of her head, authorities said. She is expected to fully recover.
"There's no way she should be alive other than a miracle from God," said Sheriff Mike Byrd of Jackson County, Miss.

Byrd said deputies were looking for Sexton's husband, Donald Ray Sexton, earlier in the week to give him a document ordering him to stay away from his wife. Court records show he was put on probation for six months on April 9 for domestic violence.

He showed up at their home in rural Jackson County in Southeast Mississippi about 12:10 a.m. Tuesday and confronted his wife as a relative ran next door to call police, the sheriff said.

"She was at her bed, and he shot her right in the head," Byrd said. "Then he went out on the back porch and shot himself."

A deputy was greeted by the woman when he arrived minutes after she was shot with the slug from a .380-caliber handgun.

"When the officer got there she said, `What's going on?' She was holding a rag on her head and talking. She was conscious, but she was confused about what had happened," he said. "She had made herself some tea and offered the officer something to drink."

Byrd said the bullet apparently passed through the lobes of the woman's brain without causing major damage. She was rushed to a Mobile hospital by a helicopter.

While such cases may be rare, a neurosurgeon who wasn't involved in Sexton's case said such an outcome is possible. Medical journals also confirm people have been shot in the head with little or no lasting injury.

"There is a space in the brain where a missile could pass without doing any major damage. Is it possible? Yes. It would be rare," said Dr. Patrick Pritchard, an assistant professor of surgery at the University of Alabama-Birmingham.

The sheriff called the case bizarre.

"You just don't hear of something like this. Somebody gets shot in the head and they're dead," Byrd said.

___

Associated Press writer Holbrook Mohr in Jackson, Miss., contributed to this report.

GWbiker

imported post

The woman had a really hard head ............ or nothing inside?:uhoh:

Spectre

imported post

I'm glad that she's going to be ok, truly some one was looking out for her.

On a side note though its the few rare occasions like this that SF operators are taught to use more than one bullet.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

I remember reading about a similar incident that involved a 9mm. I think it has more to do with the angle and location of where the bullet hits than with the bullet itself.

Spectre

imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
I remember reading about a similar incident that involved a 9mm.  I think it has more to do with the angle and location of where the bullet hits than with the bullet itself.

One in a hundred million shot. To have the bullet pass perfectly between the two lobes of the brain not deflect off the skull in any way is nothing short of a miracle.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I remember reading about a similar incident that involved a 9mm.  I think it has more to do with the angle and location of where the bullet hits than with the bullet itself.
.380 = 9mm

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

marshaul wrote:
I remember reading about a similar incident that involved a 9mm. I think it has more to do with the angle and location of where the bullet hits than with the bullet itself.
.380 = 9mm

In diameter, yes. On the other hand, the 9mm does travel significantly faster and therefore applies more force upon impact.

This woman's survival was probably 98% luck and 2% ballistics. Granted, I bet a .45, or even a .40 just couldn't get through there without causing more damage.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You're talking about 9mm parabellum.

My theory is, the majority of the time when the media describes some or other gangbanger as shooting "9mm", they really mean .380 ACP, otherwise known as "9mm short".

So I figure.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

marshaul wrote:
You're talking about 9mm parabellum.

My theory is, the majority of the time when the media describes some or other gangbanger as shooting "9mm", they really mean .380 ACP, otherwise known as "9mm short".

So I figure.
I wouldn't give the media enough credit for knowing or caring that a .380 ACP round is also known as the 9mm Kurz (short). The casings are almost always marked .380, so I'm sure that's what they'd go with.