• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glocks and +P

Godscreation

imported post

I have all three 9mm glocks (17,19,26) and am wondering, can glocks shoot +P ammo? There are some discount sites that offer good prices on defense carry +P ammo, but I don't want to buy some and then have them not be able to shoot in my Glocks.

(YES I KNOW IT'S MANUAL NOT MANUEL)

Snake Eater

imported post

Godscreation wrote:
I have all three 9mm glocks (17,19,26) and am wondering, can glocks shoot +P ammo? There are some discount sites that offer good prices on defense carry +P ammo, but I don't want to buy some and then have them not be able to shoot in my Glocks.

(YES I KNOW IT'S MANUAL NOT MANUEL)
Not as I can remember. The Glock has an un-supported bbl. So that means no +P ammo.

ballester

imported post

well thats a tricky one...glock can handle plus p fine...and for defensive ammo something that you will not use but when needed...no issue...the unsuported barrel is an issue with some ammo....however anyone who says glocks can not fire plus p...then why do most if not all police departments that use 9mm g17-19-26...use +p &+p+ ammo for duty and pratice...they shoot tons of it through their duty guns with no problems..and not to mention the militarys that use it..austria being a big one that shoot nato ammo through it...that runs hotter then standard ball ammo...most euro stuff is hotter then its american equals.

i know there has been some issuses with reloaded ammo is the specs are off a bit and some glocks having issues with them...even still no gun can take +p forever without wearing out faster...i practice with standard pressure 9mm and carry either +p or +p+ for defense..if a my firearm cant handle less then 50 rounds of hot stuff if its needed to..then it goes bye bye

my 2 cents

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Yes you can use both +P and +P+ in Glock 9mm pistols. As I recall, the owner's manual makes no stipulations in this regard, so you're fine there (warranty issues).

If in doubt, call their Georgia installation at (770) 432-1202.

Dustin

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Yes you can use both +P and +P+ in Glock 9mm pistols. As I recall, the owner's manual makes no stipulations in this regard, so you're fine there (warranty issues).

Their warranty policy won't replace an eye ball ! ;)

glock4.jpg

+p ammo is nice, but can be dangerous.

It's also NOT needed to successfully defend yourself. What you will get with +p ammo is the possibility of a HUGE amount of OVER PENETRATION. Something LEO's are trying to avoid, which is why across the nation they are migrating to .40 & .45.

Which is also why I'm not sure why Ballester made the comment about "most if not ALL Police Departments use+p ammo"? I don't think so, in fact I know they don't. They do however use alot of Federal Hydra Shok JHP's. Which are not +p.

9mm's already have an overpenetration problem, add +p ammo, and you've indeed made this issue even worse.

Spectre

imported post

Most if not all NATO fielded guns can handle +P ammo, at least for a magazine of shots.

I won't feed +P to any gun constantly, but I will definitely carry +P HP's for defense.

Marco

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Too much of anything can be dangerous.

Do you have any proof this was a factory +p/+p+ load and not someones homebrew?

Or that this wasn't a case of the wrong caliber in the wrong gun?

Even a non +p load can causes problems.

I had a factory Taurus PT92 do something similar with factory 115gr Win ST in the early 90's.
Taurus replaced the gun and I sold it, ASAP.

[line]

I knowa fewthat shoot nothing but Corbon 115gr's in their G19's, one of the guys shoots a 100rds daily the other does 200-300 every other Sunday during a class he teaches.

My 20+yr old G17 is only feed Nato spec ammo, the rd # is>70,000 with no issues.
Estimate based on receipts.

ballester

imported post

Dustin wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Their warranty policy won't replace an eye ball ! ;)

glock4.jpg

It's also NOT needed to successfully defend yourself. What you will get with +p ammo is the possibility of a HUGE amount of OVER PENETRATION. Something LEO's are trying to avoid, which is why across the nation they are migrating to .40 & .45.

Which is also why I'm not sure why Ballester made the comment about "most if not ALL Police Departments use+p ammo"? I don't think so, in fact I know they don't. They do however use alot of Federal Hydra Shok JHP's. Which are not +p.

9mm's already have an overpenetration problem, add +p ammo, and you've indeed made this issue even worse.

i shoulda have clarified...im sorry for that...by saying most of the police depts that use "9mm" that i am aware of use +p and yes dustin is on the ball with the over penetration issues i will not argue that at all...and to futher clarify i use standard pressure 124 gold dots for the summer and either 124 gold dot +p or win ranger-t 124 +p for the winter due to the fact that i am counting on the bad guy to be bundled up for the weather...and sometimes in a blue moon 147gr win ranger

but again in my experience with law enforcement..the departments that i am aware of with 9mm use +p or +p+..norfolk pd used win ranger 147 though...spectre should be able to back me up on that as we worked for the same LEO supply shop together...for the depts that use 9mm...the standard load is not that effective at penetrating windshields or barriers...

so no disrespect in the least for dustin..i agree in why the depts are changing to heavier and larger calibers...over penetration issues...then on the other end of the line is the 357 sig which is standard for the VSP and Richmond city pd..Richmond city sheriffs dept is also authorized to use 9mm or 357 sig....most going with the 357 sig..

and as far as 357 sig..thats over penetration to the max...like a 9mm supercharged...

but yes sometimes things blow up...glocks seem to be doing it at an alarming rate...thats why i choose hk :dude:...though i do miss my g17.... i had it loaded with corbon 115 gr +p...put over 200 rds of it through the g17..little screamers those bullets...i also shot 60 rds of +p+ hydroshok through the glock..so to each his own...they wouldn't make +p or +p+ if it was that dangerous to use...howevermoderation..i dont have a supply of military armours or an almost unlimited supply of spare parts or guns..

point being carry what you want...a high quality weapon should handle almost anything for defense..but for playing and plinking...stick with standard pressure...your weapon will last a long time that way..

going with agent19...most of the glocks blowing up have been from crazy home grown ammo...some folks think that just cause its a glock its indestructible....well they are not...one of the best guns in the world hands down..but still a tool with limits..

my 2 cents

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

catass wrote:
Glocks can shoot +P all day long.

+1.

Why would companies make millions of rounds of premium defense and duty ammo that no guns could use??? Remington, CCI/Speer, Federal, Winchester, CorBon and many others are not that dumb.

ETA: Oh, and to those who say that Glocks' "unsupported chambers" CAN'T handle +P, theyshould tell theENTIRE NYPD about that little problem before someone gets hurt!!! They issue G19's and Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P. GASP!

I find it amusing when people still feel a need to spout out information regarding something they know nothing about.

kurtmax_0

imported post

You can use +P and +P+ in Glocks. Use factory ammunition and not reloads. The only kB!s I'm aware of involve shoddy reloads. In addition, I don't think any of the 9mm glocks have kB!ed ever.

Spectre

imported post

CAN WE PLEASE NOT LET THIS DEGENERATE INTO A GLOCK/XD/BERSA/WALTHER ARE PRONE TO kB THREAD???

We can all find articles on guns from every manufacture that have kB'ed, and most if not all are debunked because they were caused by hot reloads.

*this is nothing against Dom, just wanna nip the growing bud*

hopnpop

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

I had a factory Taurus PT92 do something similar with factory 115gr Win ST in the early 90's.
Taurus replaced the gun and I sold it, ASAP.

[line]

I bought my wife a Taurus 851CIA .38Spl and didn't find anything on +P/no +P. Had to get online with Taurus Mfg to which I got the reply that "...All Taurus handguns are rated for unlimited +P shooting".

Also, in my opinion, Taurus has improved on their guns since even the early 90's. Just my $.02.