• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'safety' (the lack thereof) at the capitol forest pit.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Went to the pit the other day, trying out my 'new' rifle after a good run through the dishwasher.. (Not kidding either)..

I went over to a gentleman that had an AR, who also had a young child 4-5(?) years old, with him..

Now, I'm not one to judge much, but I think 4-5 years old isn't old enough to 'sit around' while daddy shoots his AR..

But anyway, I digress...

As I engaged him in conversation, he unloaded and cleared his weapon (thankfully) then put his weapon down, and turned his back towards his son.. His son PICKED UP THE WEAPON, and was pointing it STRAIGHT at his dads back, and me, making shooting noises... I quickly stepped out of the line of fire, and motioned to him that his son had his rifle...

He grabbed it from the kid, told him it wasn't a toy, and not to play with it, handed the rifle to his buddy (dad?) and continued to engage me in conversation.. I politely excused myself....

The time before that, I had geniuses sending rounds downrange after a ceasefire was called so people could get their targets.. After I yelled at them that they had a man down range, they said 'oops, didn't see him, he's far enough away anyway'....

It seems like every other time I go there, I'm about 2 seconds away from calling the cops and having someone arrested for reckless endangerment.

Here's the bad thing, lets say the responsible people want to clean (#&% up, and start getting those who are irresponsible out of the pit. The media/anti-gun groups will of course get wind of it, and start talking about how it's so unsafe and how it should be shut down, how there are so many arrests, etc etc..

lose-lose.. Gotta love it.. :cry:

ETA: On a positive note, AKs arent as innacurate as people say.... I got down to about 6" @ ~125 yards in a standing position.... on iron sights... Not too bad, and thats all the accuracy I need... Next step is gonna be a low power red dot scope. 2x or 4x mag maybe.

uncoolperson

imported post

last time I did gravel pit shooting (a few weeks ago), had a guy set up balloons on a near by hill, then because we were shooting where he wanted to shoot from he went to the other side of this pit. we ended up pretty much between him and his targets on a hillside (across a road).by my estimation we'd have bullets 15-20 feet up and 10 feet from where we were standing, target 200 yards to the right and shooter 100 to the left (he was at a lower elevation than us).

He saw us rappidly packing up and offered to move when he noticed we weren't happy with the idea, we ended up together on the far side of the pit so we would all be safe.

Nosrac

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
ETA: On a positive note, AKs arent as innacurate as people say.... I got down to about 6" @ ~125 yards in a standing position.... on iron sights... Not too bad, and thats all the accuracy I need... Next step is gonna be a low power red dot scope. 2x or 4x mag maybe.

Is that wooden target stand still standing at the far end of the pit? I have an AK that I haven't taken out yet but plan to very soon.

The pit isn't safe. I've met some very nice people out there but manylacked common sense and the basic firearm safety rules. I usually stop by when there isn't anybody around otherwise I just keep going.

PMartin

imported post

My reply is specific to the issue of having kids at the shooting range:

I am not apposed to having young children in the vicinity of firearms, especially while being used. They have to learn how to handle them (or not handle them) some time and I would prefer it happen sooner rather then later.

With that said, I would not take my kids to a place that has yahoo's walking around acting irresponsible or behaving in unsafe manners. Just as I would take my kids to a race at PIR but I wouldn't stand on the sidewalk with my 2 year old watching a bunch of high school kids street racing right by us.

Any halfway responsible parent knows that you need to always keep one eye on your younger kids ALWAYS, which obviously this guy wasn't.

My two and 4 year old won't touch my guns, and it is precisely because they have been exposed to them and know that they aren't suppose to. Practically speaking your kids are probably more dangerous in the kitchen with sharp objects unattended.

P.S. Besides they are good at running around picking up brass.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

grishnav wrote:
Where is the pit, anyway?
Between Olympia and Littlerock

waddell-creek-pit.jpg

Nosrac

imported post

Well, I just swung by the pit on the way home and there was just a couple picking up brass and nobody else shooting or otherwise. Nice day for it. Ran a couple boxes through a new 2 me EMP and was very pleased. Another couple showed up right before I left. He had a new Ruger P95 that he let me shoot.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
...and was pointing it STRAIGHT at his dads back...
Wait, he had more than one dad?
This is Olympia. That sort of thing happens. I think it's something in the water... Yano male pregnancies, voting for Obama, torch bearing mobs protesting the police shooting an armed criminal who fled the cops and tried to run one over. That sort of thing.

Mortech

imported post

I took a quick trip up there today , its been several years since I've been up there, I now remember why I stopped going :what:What a dump its become ....