• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for open carry rights organizers in Wisconsin

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Folks, if you are a resident of Wisconsin and ready to OC in public and speak as a private citizen to press, pleae email me at Mike at OpenCarry.org with you name, city, and best phone number for me and press to reach you. Especially looking for women and folks of minority color who are gun owners and want the right to open carry even if they do not normally exercise it daily.

Especially if you live inside Milwaukee proper, we need some folks to step up - nothing too wild, for example right now I have a special mission for somebody, especially a woman or "minority" color person to quietly make aphone callor two.

Milwukee's Chief Flynn may think its time to make the donuts - but actually, its time to organize the organizers.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hi everyone,

I just joined although I've been lurking ever since I heard about Jesus' situation. I live a little north west of Madison WI.

Mike,

I saw this post and wanted to forward the URL for the Second Amendment Sisters Wisconsin Chapter: http://www.2asisters.net/wi/index.html

They are active in this area and try to get women involved in shooting and shooting sports. I spoke with the Wisconsin State coordinator, Candy Dainty: mailto:wi_coord@2asisters.org, on the phone recently about the political landscape just after Jesus' filed his suit and she was interested in doing a open holster rally at the capital at that time. Maybe now after the AG's memo she would be interested in more.

Since I'm not a woman I'm not really involved in their organization but worked with her husband for many years.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
she was interested in doing a open holster rally at the capital at that time.
I hope you mean "open carry rally" - an empty open holster is a weak signal. Can we get to the Capitol grounds without being in a school zone?

Max

imported post

Mike,

Shotgun is a Madison resident. When he was here at our gathering, he lead me to believe there are no schools near the Capitol building. PM shotgun, he can give you the information you desire.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
she was interested in doing a open holster rally at the capital at that time.
I hope you mean "open carry rally" - an empty open holster is a weak signal. Can we get to the Capitol grounds without being in a school zone?

No, I meant Open Holster. I agree it may be a weak signal. I was thinking after the AG's memo it would be changed to Open Carry.

mitlekrem

imported post

I am new to this site, but visited often. I have a question regarding "school zone."

I actually live across the street from a school, and was wondering what special conditions I have to avoid to OC, as I can find no such answers online. It sounds like I am not allowed to carry within a certain distance of the school, not just on its property. Can you clarify?

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mitlekrem wrote:
I am new to this site, but visited often. I have a question regarding "school zone."

I actually live across the street from a school, and was wondering what special conditions I have to avoid to OC, as I can find no such answers online. It sounds like I am not allowed to carry within a certain distance of the school, not just on its property. Can you clarify?
Current law allows a Class I felony for possing a firearm within 1000 feet of a K-12 school. You are allowed to carry on your property, but basically don't step onto the sidewalk. The 1000 foot rule does need to be repealed and replaced with an "on property" rule IMO.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
mitlekrem wrote:

Current law allows a Class I felony for possing a firearm within 1000 feet of a K-12 school. You are allowed to carry on your property, but basically don't step onto the sidewalk. The 1000 foot rule does need to be repealed and replaced with an "on property" rule IMO.
You can possess a firearm inside a school zone if it is unloaded and encased, but stay off the school property itself. I have questions about sidewalks since they are, in my opinion, if running through residential yards and business lots, still on "private property." Sure, the public has access and uses sidewalks, but the landowner owns them. Think about it, the public has access to a shopping mall, but it is private property. Of course the streets themselves are public property, so that might be another story. I doubt my legal theory has ever been tested in a court, so I would advise caution and don't think it would help you much in court if you argued "Well this guy Shotgun says most sidewalks are, technically, on private property." If your attorney wants to make that argument, fine. I'm not a lawyer.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Max wrote:
Mike,

Shotgun is a Madison resident. When he was here at our gathering, he lead me to believe there are no schools near the Capitol building. PM shotgun, he can give you the information you desire.
No, there's no K-12 within a thousand feet of the capitol building. Maybe not even within a mile. There are daycares and preschools not far away, but they do not count

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I spoke to the Wisconisin Coordinator for the 2nd amendment sisters and have just received an email from her.

She asked me to post that she is planning a Rally for June 21'st. Originally it was planned as an "empty holster" rally. As it is still a work in progress she is entertaining the idea of changing it to open carry. However; she believes that she can encourage the more timid among us to attend with the "empty holster" angle and therefore get more people involved.

She is planning for the Capital square in Madison to be the staging area. So if it was to be open carry all the legal issues and permits would need to be looked into carefully as well.

I posted her email address above:

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"I actually live across the street from a school, and was wondering what special conditions I have to avoid to OC, as I can find no such answers online. It sounds like I am not allowed to carry within a certain distance of the school, not just on its property. Can you clarify?"

The federal school zone act requires you to have a permit valid in the state the school is inwithin a certain distance.... It is a federal law and cannot be enforced by local or state cops. No worries...

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Count wrote:
"I actually live across the street from a school, and was wondering what special conditions I have to avoid to OC, as I can find no such answers online. It sounds like I am not allowed to carry within a certain distance of the school, not just on its property. Can you clarify?"

The federal school zone act requires you to have a permit valid in the state the school is inwithin a certain distance.... It is a federal law and cannot be enforced by local or state cops. No worries...
Wisconsin's School ZoneStatute is similar to the federal equivalent and can be enforced by anyone because it's a felony, DO NOT carrywithin a 1000ft of aschool.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That's not good...thought he was asking about the Federal law in general.....

JWH

imported post

Hi Mike-

I am willing to advocate for both OC (eventhough I seldom would do it)and and a common sense CC law in Wisconsin (which I think makes even more sense).

I think OC has an unfair stigma, and common sense CC by trained, mature people who just care about protecting themselves, and are willing to go through the process of getting a permit, should be allowed.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack W. Henrich

201 Vintage Lane

Cottage Grove, WI 53527

jwhenrich@verizon.net

(608) 630-4466 (cell)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

JWH wrote:
Hi Mike-

I am willing to advocate for both OC (eventhough I seldom would do it)and and a common sense CC law in Wisconsin (which I think makes even more sense)...
Jack,

You ought to edit your post and instead use the PM function to send Mike your contact information.

One never knows who's reading or to what endyour private information might be used.

Obes

imported post

Any one who would like to help me or take part in organizing a "open Cary liter pick up email me at obesphone@gmail.com ,:cool:
I will try to get the media invoved also...let's not let them push us around any more

Obes

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Obes wrote:
Any one who would like to help me or take part in organizing a "open Cary liter pick up email me at obesphone@gmail.com ,:cool:
I will try to get the media invoved also...let's not let them push us around any more

Obes
Litter pickups are great events - easy to do, informal, good citizen spirit, not in anybody;'s face.

mitlekrem

imported post

Parabellum wrote:
Count wrote:

Wisconsin's School ZoneStatute is similar to the federal equivalent and can be enforced by anyone because it's a felony, DO NOT carrywithin a 1000ft of aschool.
Sounds good, IcanOC but not walk beyond my propert line. I know it is splitting hairs, but is the 1000ft limit to the building itself, or its property line. The reason I ask is because the school is set back pretty far but their land is huge and neighbors almost every residence and business around here.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mitlekrem wrote:
Parabellum wrote:
Count wrote:

Sounds good, IcanOC but not walk beyond my propert line. I know it is splitting hairs, but is the 1000ft limit to the building itself, or its property line. The reason I ask is because the school is set back pretty far but their land is huge and neighbors almost every residence and business around here.