• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another bigoted attack on OC

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I just don't understand how our culture got so backwards in this state that a permission slip from a jerkoff like Ruff is more legit than a natural right protected by the US Constitution. I'm glad he had the decency to show his true colors.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wonderful. You were able to get him to show his colors in front of influential people. This is what we need more of. Flush out the traitors!

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

1) If he saw someone openly carrying a firearm, he would be completely justified in "doing them" and without question.

This has come up before. When I first started posting my experiences in 2006, I encountered a "CCW" instructor who was telling his students that whilecarrying an exposed firearm, Iwas a "good shoot". I am not aware of any statutory justification for shooting someone carrying a firearm in a holster. While it is in a holster, the firearm presents no immediate threat. I would think that unless the shooter tampered with the evidence or circumstances, it would be difficult to defend such actions without some immediate threat.

2) That "gang bangers" open carry and it makes it confusing for police officers to know who is the threat and who isn't. Oh yeah, gang bangers open carry all the time.

Gang bangers do not open carry. If they show it, it is to send a message ALA PC417. Even if they were aware of the legalities of carrying a firearm in this manner, it is doubtful that they would- The reason is simple- criminal gang members do not wish to attract attention to their criminal enterprises. Street thugs do not heed the law and carry their firearms LOADED and CONCEALED without a holster. Determining who is and isn't a threat IS a peace officers job- and frankly if they cannot make a distinction between a person peaceably carrying a holstered firearm while browsing the the stacks at a bookstore and someone brandishing a firearm in an agitated state is not fit for duty.

3) That openly carrying a firearm is ground for a Terry stop.

Themere possessionof a firearm is generallynot a crime.If the possession of a firearm is not prohibited, then police would have to articulate some other reasonable suspicion that a crime was commited or about to be commit. I'm sure many police would cite 12031 as part of their suspicion, but unless they hadSEEN the weapon being loaded in an incorporated or discharge prohibited area, or someone had REPORTED seeing the weapon being loaded, they haven't met the threshold of suspicion. Since the weapon is already visible, there is no basis for a search for weapons- thus anypoliceencounter with someone carrying an exposed firearm is never a "Terry" stop.

4) He can search someone based on a phone call.

He can order a pizza with a phone call, but unless the subject of the phone call was the report of a crime in progress or a crime having been commit, he has little cause to conduct a search. I think there is some information missing here.

5) When I challenged with case law about his erroneous statements, he stated that he "Didn't care about the law" (Oh yes, he went there)

Yes, he doesn't care about what the judiciary has said- yet. If he doesn't care about the law, then he believes he is the law and therefore not a prudent choice for top law enforcement official.

6) People who OC are elevating the level of police confrontation.

Responding police are escalating the level of confrontation. Before officers arrived in each of the police encounters that have been documented, an armed person was minding their own business conducting themselves in a lawful manner. In every instance the responding officers could have begun with a casual or voluntary contact- in some cases, they didn't. Instead they chose to escalate the contact by drawing their weapons or moving to disarm the citizen and place them in handcuffs.

7) People who OC are diverting or drawing LEOs from "real crime"

Police and DA's are responsible for what they spend their time on. If current department policy is to contact every person who has been reported as MWAG and this is taking resources away from traffic patrol, DUI, drug sweeps, or other patrol duties it is the DA/Sheriff/Police Chief's responsibility to reallocatetheir resources by adjusting their policies. (The Contra Costa DA announced they weren't going to prosecute misdemeanors- so they could certainly elect not to respond to an open carry activist.) Police make these choices all the time and it is within their power to prioritize a call through dispatch by asking simple questions. "What is the armed person doing?- Is the gun in their hand?- Are they displaying the gun in rude, angry, or threatening manner? Has the gun been discharged?"

8) Open carry is just going to cause more crime because the Mexican gangs are just going to start using automatic weapons to clear houses and kidnap people (this one is priceless, more on this in a minute)

Yeah. That's how it works in Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Utah, Arizona, Alaska, Washington and many other states where open carry is regularly practiced. Criminal gangs start using automatic weapons and kidnapping open carriers. Blood running in the streets. Running shoot outs. Cue dramatic music.

9) That if we really want to make a difference that we should get behind a politician that knows the score so that we can get our CCW permits.

A politician like whom? Like himself? If he is running for Sheriff, he failed to take this opportunity to share with the group exactly what his issuance policy was going to be once elected. It would have been beneficial to nail him down on what criterion he would use-- is he a 'no issue', 'may issue' or 'shall issue' candidate? My guess is that he would be like most bureaucratic tyrants, issuing only to applicants supportive of his power base. There are no other politicians in a better position to change the score in California in regards to concealed carry licensing.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I agree that this person does not understand the legalities dealing with a MWAG.Nor does he seem to be open to trying to understand, which to me is more alarming. I would not vote for him. A man like this at the helm will surely cause shipwreck.

prcE6

imported post

Maybe in another generation, these people with their "old ideas" about what is law and what is not will be out of our way, and our kids will be able to exercise their rights. I sure hope he doesn't get elected.

FunkTrooper

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
The Audio file is bad I've tried redownoading it and its really choppy to the point where you can't make anything out.
worked fine for me using Windows Media Player. Not the best audio due to background noise, but I could understand 99% of what was said.
Thanks I guess media player was the way to go.