• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S.843 - Legislative Alert!

spy1

imported post

Senate Bill 843 criminalizes the private transfer of firearms. Sponsored by Lautenberg (D - NJ). Notably, it is co-sponsored by Kirsten Gillibrand (D - NY), who tried to pass herself off as pro-gun.

Suggested text to send to your representatives:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Totally OPPOSED to S. 843

As a registered voter and your constituent, I wish to inform you of my opposition to Senator Lautenberg's proposed legislation (S843) to criminalize the lawful and private transfer of firearms (the deceitfully named "gun show loophole").

Where do you stand on the private transfer of firearms, and what action will you take to ensure that this legislation never sees the light of day, so that I can advise my family, friends, and acquaintances regarding your commitment to the Constitution?

Respectfully,
[YOUR NAME]
[ADDRESS]

--------------------------------------------------

Go to http://www.theorator.com/senate.html , find your Senator(s) (BOTH of them) contact info and get an email or a FAX or a phone call out to them TODAY.

If we can bury this thing in protest before it gathers any steam - or any more "co-sponsors" - we can probably nip it in-the-bud.

I also seriously suggest that ANY of you who have either Lautenberg or Gillibrand as your Senator to light them up with an outraged email/FAX and let them know that you will be ACTIVELY working to DEFEAT them come next election-time.

And then - make sure you do that. Pete

http://www.alarmandmuster.com/Home.html

KS_to_CA

imported post

As a registered voter and your constituent, I wish to inform you of my opposition to Senator Lautenberg's proposed legislation (S843) to criminalize the lawful and private transfer of firearms (the deceitfully named "gun show loophole").

Where do you stand on the private transfer of firearms, and what action will you take to ensure that this legislation never sees the light of day, so that I can advise my family, friends, and acquaintances regarding your commitment to the Constitution?
DONE. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, both D-C. Added: This will guide our vote next election. Now lets watch what they do.

KS_to_CA

imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:

DONE. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, both D-C. Added: This will guide our vote next election. Now lets watch what they do.
Here's the response (04/24/2009):

And I thought they don't respond to emails? In fairness to those on the "other side", here it is. Read on.

Thank you for writing to me about gun control legislation. I appreciate hearing your views. I understand the right of hunters, sportsmen and other law-abiding citizens to be able to own a gun. I believe, however, that we can still respect this right while working to curb the incidence of gun violence and firearm-related fatalities through sensible gun control laws.

In keeping with this, I have supported legislation such as the Brady Bill, the Child Safety Lock Act and efforts to close the so-called "gun show loophole." These measures are designed to make firearms safer and to help keep them out of the hands of people who are not legally allowed to own them. They do not interfere with the right of lawful citizens to purchase or own guns.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.

[size="+1"]Barbara Boxer
United States Senator
[/size]

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The only sensible gun control that exist, results in close groupings on a target.

Anything else is BS.

Firearms are made as safe as can they can be, at the factory. No law will make them any safer. Try working on making people safer with firearms. It's some people that are unsafe.

david.ross

imported post

They might be thinking about firearms safety, but also need to be thinking about rights to privacy. Some vigilante officer who is against firearms would have another reason to "beat down" a person just because they can even if the person is well known to be non-violent.

sccrref

imported post

Sent mine to Glenn Nye with a couple or tweeks. Thanks for the starting point.

Sir,

As a registered voter and your constituent, we wish to inform you of our opposition to Senator Lautenberg's proposed legislation (S843) to criminalize the lawful and private transfer of firearms (the deceitfully named "gun show loophole"). Guns kill people as much as automobiles kill people. Neither of these tools kill people. The actions of the person using the tool is what causes people to die. If you want to criminalize the lawful and private transfer of firearms, make sure you add all of the other tools that kill people too. Knives, screwdrivers, motorcycles, letter openers, rope, chains and metal pipes just to name a few.

Where do you stand on the private transfer of firearms, and what action will you take to ensure that this legislation never sees the light of day, so that I can advise my family, friends, and acquaintances regarding your commitment to the Constitution of this great Nation?