• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any experience open carrying in a campground?

shake

imported post

I know that you can only conceal carry in National Parks, but I am planning on going to a campsite that is not, as far as I know, a National Park.

http://www.shenandoahriver.com/About_us.html

Does anyone have any experience with open carrying in private(?) campgrounds for self-defense?

Thanks in advance!

RedKnightt

imported post

Looks like private property. It would be up to the property owners to allow/deny OC or CC there.

Just a point: You currently can't CC in National Parks. That victory is being held up by a federal judge. National Forests still follow the rules of the state they are in, however.

essayons

imported post

I've OC'ed in a state campground, no problems. That being said probably only one person saw me the entire time.

Thndr

imported post

If you read the Viriginia State Parks web sites faqs page:
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml

[/b]
Firearms: Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed weapons permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited.

But I was thinking preemption plays part meaning OC should be fine but I am not sure hopefully someone else with more knowledge on the subject will chime in.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Have OCd at numerous private campgrounds in and around Virginia - never had a problem and was definitely noticed by owner/managers.

Yata hey

Thndr

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
PRIVATE PROPERTY.

This is not for a state parks campground.

Yes the post was in response to the one that proceeded mine. It was established that the campsite being referred to is privately owned and that they do not have restrictions on firearms posted on their website but the OP should call just to confirm and save himself some possible issue or trouble.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thndr wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
PRIVATE PROPERTY.

This is not for a state parks campground.
Yes the post was in response to the one that proceeded mine. It was established that the campsite being referred to is privately owned and that they do not have restrictions on firearms posted on their website but the OP should call just to confirm and save himself some possible issue or trouble.
Better yet, have a backup plan to lock it if they do complain. A phone call ahead of time is a chance for a proprietor to say "no" without thinking it through. If he sees you, though, and sees you're not trouble, you're ahead of the game.

ravonaf

imported post

The parks usually just confuse me. City, State, County, Federal, private. I think I'll figure it out one of these days.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Thndr wrote:

[/b]
Firearms: Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed weapons permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited.

I've never seen a concealed weapon permit....what's that thing look like?

You'd think that one state agencywould callthe form used by another state agency by its correct name...

No wait, that makes too much sense...

Thndr

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Thndr wrote:

I've never seen a concealed weapon permit....what's that thing look like?

You'd think that one state agencywould callthe form used by another state agency by its correct name...

No wait, that makes too much sense...
Ya think.....:lol: