• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy Federal Firearm Policy

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So for those of you that don't know, back in 2007 I had a habit of legally open carrying in my local Navy Federal branch. At one point, a bank customer called the branch manager whining that I was breaking the law, so the branch manager in turn called me and got on my case. After I explained the law to her, she called the local PD and they told her the same thing I had. She called me back and told me it was legal, but bank policy didn't allow it.

So, I left it alone until recently. I was just at my local branch today and sat down with an employee to discuss the situation. She ended up calling Navy Federal's security department to find out if any policy actually existed. Security clarified that there was no policy regarding customers and firearms. Essentially, if it's legal in the state, it's legal in the bank. :D So now I'm in the process of finding out why the branch manager (who I hear is not a wonderful lady to begin with) is making up policies as she goes. We'll see what happens there.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the help of a certain someone, I wouldn't have been able to acquire this information. I wont mention them by name for privacy, but if they want to chime in, feel free! ;)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Switch 180! After speaking to the Southeast Regional Manager, Della Butler, I received a call from the "Head" of the security department at Navy Fed, Tom Lyons. He told me that Navy Fed's policy says no guns are allowed unless they're carried by LEOs. I pleasantly asked how I could get a hold of the official written policy, to which he replied "I'm TELLING YOU the policy. You don't NEED it in writing". Then I asked "So you're saying this is not a written policy?" to which he replied "That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying you're not going to get it in writing!".

He then went on to say that he doesn't know why anyone would need a gun in a bank, anyway. He was in law enforcement for 25 years before he went into security, and he's NEVER seen a situation where a firearm in the hands of anyone but law enforcement would have been beneficial. I asked him what the hell his unrelated experiences and personal opinions had to do with my professional and cordial request for a written clarification on Navy Federal's policies. He replied "I've told you the policy. What do you want me to say?!" I said "I don't want you to say anything. I'd like to see the written policy". He then offered to send me a letter that said I couldn't carry a gun. I said fine and got off the phone.

You'd think I had insulted his mother the way he reacted. So yeah, now I'm pissed. I'm going to find out who this idiot's boss is and go from there.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
OMG Dre, you bank with these people??????????
I do! I have a few accounts open with them, so it's nice to be able to move everything around with no hassle. They also have very convenient and reliable online and ATM services. My g/f has switched banks twice since banking with them and has run into nothing but headaches. I'm going to try a little longer to fix the few idiots in the bunch before I throw the whole lot of 'em out.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I also bank with Navy Federal. They got me in a position where banking with them online is so convenient(and my most common form of work with them) that I'm hesitant to switch to any other service provider unless they can show me a superior online scheme.

I never open carried in my local branch though...

daehawc

imported post

We've all heard of USAA right? Great online service and discounts on everything with great insurance rates. Plus they let me just scan a check and deposit it from my computer at home. I do keep a free military account open at Bank of America solely to deposit cash when I have to but even that I usually do from the ATM.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

daehawc wrote:
We've all heard of USAA right? Great online service and discounts on everything with great insurance rates. Plus they let me just scan a check and deposit it from my computer at home. I do keep a free military account open at Bank of America solely to deposit cash when I have to but even that I usually do from the ATM.
But does USAA allow firearms? There wouldn't any point with switching if I'm not getting any improvements lol.

amberalisemc

imported post

haha, Silly USAA doesn't have branches but I'm sure if they did you'd be allowed. yup, pretty sure.
"Daehawc" has mentioned a few times how much better USAA is vs. NFCU or any other bank I've ever worked for. Check into it...

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Switch 180! After speaking to the Southeast Regional Manager, Della Butler, I received a call from the "Head" of the security department at Navy Fed, Tom Lyons. He told me that Navy Fed's policy says no guns are allowed unless they're carried by LEOs. I pleasantly asked how I could get a hold of the official written policy, to which he replied "I'm TELLING YOU the policy. You don't NEED it in writing". Then I asked "So you're saying this is not a written policy?" to which he replied "That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying you're not going to get it in writing!".

He then went on to say that he doesn't know why anyone would need a gun in a bank, anyway. He was in law enforcement for 25 years before he went into security, and he's NEVER seen a situation where a firearm in the hands of anyone but law enforcement would have been beneficial. I asked him what the hell his unrelated experiences and personal opinions had to do with my professional and cordial request for a written clarification on Navy Federal's policies. He replied "I've told you the policy. What do you want me to say?!" I said "I don't want you to say anything. I'd like to see the written policy". He then offered to send me a letter that said I couldn't carry a gun. I said fine and got off the phone.

You'd think I had insulted his mother the way he reacted. So yeah, now I'm pissed. I'm going to find out who this idiot's boss is and go from there.

I'm a Navy Fed member as well. I have OC'd and CC'dat branches in Colorado, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. Never had an incident, I just made sure I was complying with local laws. I've never heard of this policy at Navy Fed. A few businesses I frequent that have a "no weapons" policy were able to show me that in writing.

"I pleasantly asked how I could get a hold of the official written policy, to which he replied "I'm TELLING YOU the policy. You don't NEED it in writing". Then I asked "So you're saying this is not a written policy?" to which he replied "That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying you're not going to get it in writing!"."

If This is the response you get from any business, go over their head. Espically as a member, ANY policyshould be written, and they should have no problem what so ever getting a copy to you. After all, how can they train their employees?

Just my $0.02 worth from personal experiences.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I'm trying to figure out where the "good news" in the threadtitle comes from?
Sorry, originally the news I received was that we were good to go. Then I had to add the extra bad news.