Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC of rifle

Post imported post

I've read the "rules" several times and come to the following conclusion:

It is legal to OC a rifle with a 20-round magazine (AK-47) in the "sling arms" position while talking a walk around the neighborhood.

It isn't "brandishing" if you don't unsling your rifle or point it in a threatening manner, right?

"If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

I don't see anything illegal with that activity as described. Sounds legal.

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

It is legal to OC a rifle with a 20-round magazine (AK-47) in the "sling arms" position while talking a walk around the neighborhood.

It isn't "brandishing" if you don't unsling your rifle or point it in a threatening manner, right?

AFAIK, it's legal, but IANAL.

However, is it a good idea?

You might want to "take the pulse" of your neighborhood first.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

I was considering this for my oldest daughter when she turned 18 until I found out that SHE can OC a pistol instead... I got a Glock 21SF for her at the Hampton Gunshow.

Thank you for your input!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

FirstPackininVB ...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1808

Then danbus ...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/4286.html

Then Reverend73 ...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/24447.html

People seem to make a splashproposing it but always let themselves get talked out of it. Or there may be a deficit of a couple of things ...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It is legal, as long as said AK doesn't have a folding stock. If it does you will need a CHP to OC it.

I will be OCing my AR on my motorcycle in the very near future. I will submit an after action report once the evolution is complete.

Edit: Nice to see you again Hank, I hope all is well.

Post imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
    I will be OCing my AR on my motorcycle in the very near future.
    Do try to keep it under 100, Rev. We know how much of a lead foot you be. You like to drive FAST!

Reverend73 wrote:
    Nice to see you again Hank, I hope all is well.
    So far, so good.

Post imported post

HankT wrote: snip
    People seem to make a splashproposing it but always let themselves get talked out of it. Or there may be a deficit of a couple of things ...

How about a pic of you OC'ing in your living room, or does Jorsey restrict you there as well?
    Are you lacking
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    HankT wrote: snip

How about a pic of you OC'ing in your living room, or does Jorsey restrict you there as well?
    Are you lacking

Post imported post

.... depending on you location you can carry any capacity.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. (emphasis added)

Dana

Post imported post

You left out the important "rest of the story..." Unless you have a CC permit.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    You left out the important "rest of the story..." Unless you have a CC permit.

Post imported post

You might want to check out the local ordinances:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ordinances.pdf

If I recall correctly, there is some leeway for local governments to have some regulations governing long-guns. If you check the ordinances at the above link, there are a number that make carrying a rifle on or around a roadway illegal. These ordinances are really geared towards hunting (to keep the guys who deer hunt with dogs from "road hunting"), but might apply to you OC scenario as well.

Either way, if you sling an AK and go walking the neighborhood I'm pretty sure you WILL have a law enforcement encounter, and it's likely to be negative. Right or wrong, you may become another "OC Martyr." That said, enjoy your walk

Post imported post

Thanks for the input. I acquired a 20 rnd mag for the AK before I found out my18 year old can actually carry a pistol. # 46 and 47 apply to us in York County. Thanks for that link!
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

I am so far in the unknown portion of VA i have never been close to any of those listed cities/places. feels good to be off the metaphorical radar

Post imported post

OC a long gun for a neighborhood walk?

This happened a few blocks from my home yesterday (4/24/2009).

Weapon near school spurs lockdown
    April 25, 2009

NEWPORT NEWS - Weapon near school spurs lockdown

Newport News

NEWPORT NEWS — Richneck Elementary School was locked down for several minutes Friday morning after a school employee reported seeing a teenager with what appeared to be a rifle near the school. An assistant principal locked down the school, at 205 Tyner Drive, at 8:45 p.m. and called the police, who responded and searched the neighborhood near the school. District spokeswoman Michelle Price said police contacted the school after about 15 minutes to say they had arrested a 17-year-old male wanted in connection with burglaries in the area. According to the police, the youth had a gun with him and was trying to hide it, Price said. Once the youth was in custody the lockdown was lifted.

— Daily Press
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

I live near there, but it wasn't me!!!

On a more serious note, Good thing the NNPD caught the kid. Upon deeper reflection, it may not be a good idea to carry the AK at sling arms, muzzle down around the neighborhood. Its legal, but wouldn't be a good thing for our cause. remaining low profile is the best tactic. My daughter is only 5' tall. Someone of her sizetoting a rifle nearly as long as she is tall isn't exactly "professional looking".
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    My daughter is only 5' tall. Someone of her sizetoting a rifle nearly as long as she is tall isn't exactly "professional looking".
    [img]file:///C:/Users/Alex/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]
    :P

Post imported post

:what::celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Is that your local Army Marksmanship Team after practice?
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    :what::celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Is that your local Army Marksmanship Team after practice?
    Nope. This photo has been around for a while it has been in multiple threads over the past few years but I can only wish

Post imported post

I'll make a somewhat educated guess: They may be competitive shooters at an out of town match and didn't want to leave their rifles unsecured when they went out for ice cream. I kinda doubt that possibility though, because match shooters would be concerned about banging their sights around and not carrying their rifles in the same manner as these young ladies. More than likely, they're active/reserve or NG and can't leave their rifles unsecured anywhere. Maybe they snuck (sneeked?) out of their tents during summer camp for some ice cream?
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

They're Israelis. Can't confirm anything beyond that though.

Post imported post

I agree, somewhere in the back of my mind is the impression that these young ladies are in Israel, but I can't substantiate it beyond that.

Well, that in addition to my firm conviction that this is definitely not in the US. The various US military services have some of the most restrictive regulations imaginable when it comes to military members being armed while off duty. And they certainly wouldn't be armed with their service firearms in any case.

~ Boyd

ETA: I'm assuming these firearms are assault rifles, not "assault weapons." I keep trying to look for the select fire setting, but I'm having problems concentrating on the guns.

Post imported post

Good point and quite possible. I've met a few "lookers" in the IDF. They know their business and are very patriotic about their Homeland.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

The story I heard is that these are IDF soldiers, 2 enlisted and one officer (on the left, who supposedly can be ID'ed by the shorter barrel on her weapon) at an ice cream parlor on base in Israel. While on active duty on base, IDF regs say you carry your weapon with you at all times, no matter what. I don't know about carrying them off-base. I haven't been able to corroborate this, so it may be true, it may be hooey.

The best part of the image to me is the look on the face of the ice cream cone to the left of the young woman on the far left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast