• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC of rifle

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've read the "rules" several times and come to the following conclusion:

It is legal to OC a rifle with a 20-round magazine (AK-47) in the "sling arms" position while talking a walk around the neighborhood.

It isn't "brandishing" if you don't unsling your rifle or point it in a threatening manner, right?

2a4all

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

It is legal to OC a rifle with a 20-round magazine (AK-47) in the "sling arms" position while talking a walk around the neighborhood.

It isn't "brandishing" if you don't unsling your rifle or point it in a threatening manner, right?
AFAIK, it's legal, but IANAL.

However, is it a good idea?

You might want to "take the pulse" of your neighborhood first.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I was considering this for my oldest daughter when she turned 18 until I found out that SHE can OC a pistol instead... I got a Glock 21SF for her at the Hampton Gunshow.

Thank you for your input!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

FirstPackininVB ...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1808

Then danbus ...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/4286.html

Then Reverend73 ...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/24447.html

People seem to make a splashproposing it but always let themselves get talked out of it. Or there may be a deficit of a couple of things ...

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It is legal, as long as said AK doesn't have a folding stock. If it does you will need a CHP to OC it.

I will be OCing my AR on my motorcycle in the very near future. I will submit an after action report once the evolution is complete.

Edit: Nice to see you again Hank, I hope all is well.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
I will be OCing my AR on my motorcycle in the very near future.
Do try to keep it under 100, Rev. We know how much of a lead foot you be. You like to drive FAST!

Reverend73 wrote:
Nice to see you again Hank, I hope all is well.
So far, so good. :uhoh:

Marco

imported post

HankT wrote: snip
People seem to make a splashproposing it but always let themselves get talked out of it. Or there may be a deficit of a couple of things ...
How about a pic of you OC'ing in your living room, or does Jorsey restrict you there as well?
Are you lacking :question:

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
HankT wrote: snip
How about a pic of you OC'ing in your living room, or does Jorsey restrict you there as well?
Are you lacking :question:
23m7tjd.jpg

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

.... depending on you location you can carry any capacity.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. (emphasis added)

Dana

Ore

imported post

You might want to check out the local ordinances:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf

If I recall correctly, there is some leeway for local governments to have some regulations governing long-guns. If you check the ordinances at the above link, there are a number that make carrying a rifle on or around a roadway illegal. These ordinances are really geared towards hunting (to keep the guys who deer hunt with dogs from "road hunting"), but might apply to you OC scenario as well.

Either way, if you sling an AK and go walking the neighborhood I'm pretty sure you WILL have a law enforcement encounter, and it's likely to be negative. Right or wrong, you may become another "OC Martyr." That said, enjoy your walk:D

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Thanks for the input. I acquired a 20 rnd mag for the AK before I found out my18 year old can actually carry a pistol. # 46 and 47 apply to us in York County. Thanks for that link!

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

I am so far in the unknown portion of VA i have never been close to any of those listed cities/places. feels good to be off the metaphorical radar :D

2a4all

imported post

OC a long gun for a neighborhood walk?

This happened a few blocks from my home yesterday (4/24/2009).

Weapon near school spurs lockdown
April 25, 2009

NEWPORT NEWS - Weapon near school spurs lockdown

Newport News

NEWPORT NEWS — Richneck Elementary School was locked down for several minutes Friday morning after a school employee reported seeing a teenager with what appeared to be a rifle near the school. An assistant principal locked down the school, at 205 Tyner Drive, at 8:45 p.m. and called the police, who responded and searched the neighborhood near the school. District spokeswoman Michelle Price said police contacted the school after about 15 minutes to say they had arrested a 17-year-old male wanted in connection with burglaries in the area. According to the police, the youth had a gun with him and was trying to hide it, Price said. Once the youth was in custody the lockdown was lifted.

— Daily Press

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I live near there, but it wasn't me!!!

On a more serious note, Good thing the NNPD caught the kid. Upon deeper reflection, it may not be a good idea to carry the AK at sling arms, muzzle down around the neighborhood. Its legal, but wouldn't be a good thing for our cause. remaining low profile is the best tactic. My daughter is only 5' tall. Someone of her sizetoting a rifle nearly as long as she is tall isn't exactly "professional looking".