Thread: Passing Through in June

Post imported post

I'll be passing through Colorado in late June. What do I need to know about OC in your state while I am there?

Thanks for any iformation you can provide me.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

Illegal in Denver County; legal everywhere else unless posted by municipality--for example at a city owned building. CCW legal everywhere in state, including Denver County. El Paso County--COS, very gun friendly. Rural counties, as well. Boulder less so, but state preemption applies.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Wow, not what Ihoped to hear.

We will be passing near Denver. How do I transport my gun without getting into trouble then?

Post imported post

You can always transport in your vehicle anywhere in Colorado, even in Denver (CRS 18-12-105.6). A handgun can be loaded and ready, a long gun has to have an empty chamber (CRS 33-6-125).

Outside of your vehicle within Denver County, you're out of luck unless you have a CCW permit from another state that Colorado honors. If you need to move a gun from your vehicle to say a hotel room, you'd have to transport so it is not concealed "on or about your person" (CRS 18-12-105(a). Usually something like locked luggage to carry the gun is ok.

Post imported post

That's very helpful. Thank you. I really dislike the patchwork of laws just to cross the country on a legal activity.

I appreciate your help.

Post imported post

Dom wrote:
    You can always transport in your vehicle anywhere in Colorado, even in Denver (CRS 18-12-105.6). A handgun can be loaded and ready, a long gun has to have an empty chamber (CRS 33-6-125).

Outside of your vehicle within Denver County, you're out of luck unless you have a CCW permit from another state that Colorado honors. If you need to move a gun from your vehicle to say a hotel room, you'd have to transport so it is not concealed "on or about your person" (CRS 18-12-105(a). Usually something like locked luggage to carry the gun is ok.
    As noted, vehicle transport loaded and concealed is legal everywhere in CO. To take it from you car in Denver County into a hotel, just unload it and stick it in your bag. Doesn't need to be locked, just unloaded. Better yet, don't stay in Denver. Why support them with you dollars? The rest of the state is gun friendly, spend your money there.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Good point, we don't plan to stop in Denver at all, just pass by.

I appreciate all of the information.

Post imported post

Dom wrote:
    If you need to move a gun from your vehicle to say a hotel room, you'd have to transport so it is not concealed "on or about your person" (CRS 18-12-105(a). Usually something like locked luggage to carry the gun is ok.
    Unless Nancy Pelosi is staying in your hotel. Then you're going to jail no matter what you do.

Post imported post

To take it from you car in Denver County into a hotel, just unload it and stick it in your bag.
    Is there citation for that? I don't know how "on or about your person" gets interpreted, and the law doesn't seem to distinguish between unloaded or loaded.

Post imported post

thorvaldr wrote:

Unless Nancy Pelosi is staying in your hotel. Then you're going to jail no matter what you do.
    Well, that seems backwards... shouldn't SHE be the one going to jail?

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    thorvaldr wrote:

Well, that seems backwards... shouldn't SHE be the one going to jail?
    That's in reference to this case.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...90344097_x.htm

Post imported post

Ahhh I hadn't seenthat one. Thanks.

Post imported post

Dom wrote:
    To take it from you car in Denver County into a hotel, just unload it and stick it in your bag.
    Is there citation for that? I don't know how "on or about your person" gets interpreted, and the law doesn't seem to distinguish between unloaded or loaded.
    Statutes for peaceful carry, Federal Law, apply to one passing thru any state. CO also has no prohibition whatsoever against having an unloaded weapon in 'baggage,' which includes cased. Outside of Denver County, OC is legal loaded or not. Full preemption, including DC, on every other gun law.