• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passing Through in June

j2l3

imported post

I'll be passing through Colorado in late June. What do I need to know about OC in your state while I am there?

Thanks for any iformation you can provide me.

Gunslinger

imported post

Illegal in Denver County; legal everywhere else unless posted by municipality--for example at a city owned building. CCW legal everywhere in state, including Denver County. El Paso County--COS, very gun friendly. Rural counties, as well. Boulder less so, but state preemption applies.

j2l3

imported post

Wow, not what Ihoped to hear.

We will be passing near Denver. How do I transport my gun without getting into trouble then?

Dom

imported post

You can always transport in your vehicle anywhere in Colorado, even in Denver (CRS 18-12-105.6). A handgun can be loaded and ready, a long gun has to have an empty chamber (CRS 33-6-125).

Outside of your vehicle within Denver County, you're out of luck unless you have a CCW permit from another state that Colorado honors. If you need to move a gun from your vehicle to say a hotel room, you'd have to transport so it is not concealed "on or about your person" (CRS 18-12-105(a). Usually something like locked luggage to carry the gun is ok.

j2l3

imported post

That's very helpful. Thank you. I really dislike the patchwork of laws just to cross the country on a legal activity.

I appreciate your help.

Gunslinger

imported post

Dom wrote:
You can always transport in your vehicle anywhere in Colorado, even in Denver (CRS 18-12-105.6). A handgun can be loaded and ready, a long gun has to have an empty chamber (CRS 33-6-125).

Outside of your vehicle within Denver County, you're out of luck unless you have a CCW permit from another state that Colorado honors. If you need to move a gun from your vehicle to say a hotel room, you'd have to transport so it is not concealed "on or about your person" (CRS 18-12-105(a). Usually something like locked luggage to carry the gun is ok.
As noted, vehicle transport loaded and concealed is legal everywhere in CO. To take it from you car in Denver County into a hotel, just unload it and stick it in your bag. Doesn't need to be locked, just unloaded. Better yet, don't stay in Denver. Why support them with you dollars? The rest of the state is gun friendly, spend your money there.

thorvaldr

imported post

Dom wrote:
If you need to move a gun from your vehicle to say a hotel room, you'd have to transport so it is not concealed "on or about your person" (CRS 18-12-105(a). Usually something like locked luggage to carry the gun is ok.
Unless Nancy Pelosi is staying in your hotel. Then you're going to jail no matter what you do.

Dom

imported post

To take it from you car in Denver County into a hotel, just unload it and stick it in your bag.
Is there citation for that? I don't know how "on or about your person" gets interpreted, and the law doesn't seem to distinguish between unloaded or loaded.

Gunslinger

imported post

Dom wrote:
To take it from you car in Denver County into a hotel, just unload it and stick it in your bag.
Is there citation for that? I don't know how "on or about your person" gets interpreted, and the law doesn't seem to distinguish between unloaded or loaded.
Statutes for peaceful carry, Federal Law, apply to one passing thru any state. CO also has no prohibition whatsoever against having an unloaded weapon in 'baggage,' which includes cased. Outside of Denver County, OC is legal loaded or not. Full preemption, including DC, on every other gun law.