• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passing Through

j2l3

imported post

We are passing through in June on Interstate 29. No plans to stop, other than maybe for fuel. Northbound from Kansas to South Dakota.

What do I need to know to stay out of trouble while transporting my gun through Iowa?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

IA_farmboy

imported post

Iowa law on transporting firearms closely mirrors that of federal law. Keep the firearm cased and away from the occupants of the vehicle. If you wish to carry (as opposed to "transport") then you will need to apply for a Permit to Carry. Iowa does not recognize any other state permit to carry, but we're working on that.

gollbladder13

imported post

I've seen different things saying the ammo must be separate from the gun, and others say there can't even be ammo in a magazine, even if separate.

Anybody want to clarify before I drive through this weekend?

ethies

imported post

Sorry this isn't in time, but that is correct. The mag can't be loaded even if in the gun. This is not strictly enforced, because the law is written very ambiguously. If you want to become a test case you may, but most in IA don't transport loaded mags. There is legislation seeking to clear this up and allow detatched magazines to be transported loaded.

Robin47

imported post

U.S. Title 18, part 1,Chapter 44 & 926A Intrerstate transportation of firearms.

This is an Intitlement clause providing anexemption from prosecution under State,County,or Local firearms laws If you "Choose To" carr7y in accordance with this section while travelingInterstate.

Robin47 :celebrate