• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick CHP Turn around.

G26-VA

imported post

jm04 wrote:
For those interested:

Loudoun County - 16 days.  Much faster than I expected.

Although, they got my DOB wrong by one day.  Not sure what to do about that.  Guess I'll have to take a trip back to the courthouse.

I've been waiting 14 so far, hopefully soon.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
ravonaf wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
ravonaf wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
You might look at the Bersa 380. If your in the va beach/norfolk area and would like to throw a couple rounds down range let me know. They make a nice conceal carry or bug, IMHO.
I ended up picking up the Bersa 380 at the Marksman in Newport News today. The price was a little high but not outrageous. I found nothing but good reviews for this gun. Now all I have to do is find a good holster and some ammo. I think 380 auto might be more scarce than 9 mill.
I think you'll be pleased with the Bersa .380. For that caliber, it probably the lightest, handiest and most reliable platform there is. The price is reasonable as well. The only thing thats outrageous is the cost of an additional mag (which you should get) They typically want $35 to $39 for one:cuss: You can get a ProMag for about $20, but there is a lot of bad press about the quality of this mag. No other company makes them as far as I know. I bought one and it has worked flawlessly, though I always used the original if I carried the pistol. If you want more info, there is a pretty good website for Bersa lovers.

http://bersatalk.com/forums/11/ShowForum.aspx Enjoy!
I did some shooting lessons the other day with 3 women. We tried out the Bersa and it was the first time that I had seen the gun in action. I was impressed with how smoothly it operated and the mag capacity was 15 IIRC. I didnt care for the safety but it seems like a nice gun.

G26-VA

imported post

G26-VA wrote:
jm04 wrote:
For those interested:

Loudoun County - 16 days.  Much faster than I expected.

Although, they got my DOB wrong by one day.  Not sure what to do about that.  Guess I'll have to take a trip back to the courthouse.

I've been waiting 14 so far, hopefully soon.

Finally got my CHP in Loudoun! Total of 32 days. It's dated 5/21, but took 11 days to get here!

Jshu

imported post

I applied on May 15th for mine, I hear Chesapeake takes its sweet time issuing them. I keep checking the mail though.

NavyVA

imported post

I applied yesterday with nothing more than my VA DL and Military ID... That's it? No questions asked? Tell me it hasn't been that simple for everyone on here. I thought they need something like birth certificate, proof of where you reside, etc.

Jshu

imported post

I had to have firearm safety certification, a drivers license, and $50, plus get fingerprinted.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Military ID is all that's needed to certify that the holder has had adequate weapons training. That lasts for a lifetime.

I needed a DL and voter registration card, and originally, fingerprints here in Yorktown. Fingerprints not needed for renewal. (The whole fingerprint thing should be done away with, and this will eventually happen, as the law doesn't REQUIRE counties to fingerprint.)

Yes, NavyVA, it is that simple, and that's how it should be. In most locales, the license is ready in well less than 6 weeks to boot. Let us know!

TexasNative

imported post

I don't know if a military ID card is sufficient in Loudoun County, or if a DD-214 is required to prove veteran status. Since I had my -214 with me, the clerks in the Sheriff's Department were glad to include a copy in my packet for the Clerk of the Court.

No matter, they were quick and pleasant, although from my own experience as well as what I've heard from some others, somebody in the Clerk's office here has a problem with attention to detail. :D

~ Boyd

Crash7795

imported post

No fingerprints here either, and military and state ID was all I showed for VA Beach.

Don't remember how long it took me to get my original permit 4 or 5 years ago. Renewal this past December was within 21 days, delivered in the mail.

jm04

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I will have to mail back the incorrect permit, but she said I could wait until after I've received the new one.

He he... you should have asked them to provide a stamped, self addressed envelope....
Actually, I got a call about a week later letting me know that the new permit was ready and they were dropping it in the mail. When I asked about the old permit she said I could just tear it up and toss it.

curtiswr

imported post

They put the wrong birth month on my CHP here in Richmond. I got it today in exactly 21 days since filing the application, so a little less than half of time limit.

Suppose I'll have to call the clerk's office tomorrow morning and try and get it resolved. Hope it goes as smoothly as your fix did, jm04.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Got mine around 45 days in Farifax IIRC.

I have friends who have seen theirs in as little as 2 weeks.

He used to be a sheriff years ago, but his wife got hers in the same amount of time.

thx997303

imported post

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but is this sort of turn around typical?

And how about for non resident permits?

TexasNative

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Hate to resurrect an old thread, but is this sort of turn around typical?

And how about for non resident permits?
Turnaround depends greatly on who's doing the processing. For resident permits, it varies by the jurisdiction in which you live, since the applications are filed with the local Clerk of the Court.

Non-resident permits, as I understand it, are handled by the Virginia State Police. Since most of us here are residents, we wouldn't have much direct experience to comment on how quickly the VSP operates on non-resident applications.

~ Boyd