• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick CHP Turn around.

ravonaf

imported post

I just got my CHP today. It only took 13 days (Newport News). With the influx of permit requests I fully expected it to take the entire duration or to have to even get a temp. I haven't even bought a carry gun yet. I thought I had more time. :)

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Your the second person I have seen to have a quick turn around.Another guy said it just took 26 days. I'm glad to see that it's speeding up and not taking the full 45 days.

ravonaf

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Good to see a jurisdiction not drag their feet just because they can.

Congrats! What gun are you going to buy?

I'm not sure yet. I'm looking at auto 380's. Maybe a Walther PPK or similar gun. Something big enough it does not feel small in my hand but small enough to carry in a pocket holster. I have a Glock 17 I might try to conceal if I can find the right holster.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

ravonaf wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

I'm not sure yet. I'm looking at auto 380's. Maybe a Walther PPK or similar gun. Something big enough it does not feel small in my hand but small enough to carry in a pocket holster. I have a Glock 17 I might try to conceal if I can find the right holster.
You might look at the Bersa 380. If your in the va beach/norfolk area and would like to throw a couple rounds down range let me know. They make a nice conceal carry or bug, IMHO.

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
ravonaf wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

You might look at the Bersa 380. If your in the va beach/norfolk area and would like to throw a couple rounds down range let me know. They make a nice conceal carry or bug, IMHO.
I use a Beras 380for CC also, I really enjoy it. Ihavea Glock 19 when I OC.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

Argus Eyed wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
ravonaf wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

I use a Beras 380for CC also, I really enjoy it. Ihavea Glock 19 when I OC.
HK45 for OC here.

:p

mobeewan

imported post

One of mycoworker's who lives in Isle of Wright countyrecently discovered his permit had expired abouta year ago. He turned in has renewal paperwork and received his permit in the mail Thursday, exactly 2 weeks to the dayafter he had turned in his paperwork.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Less than 2 weeks in Newport News ??!! Fantastic:celebrate. About 15 years ago when my wife and I got our CCW's in York Co. (in short order), a few of my friends from Hampton and NN tried, but both had to wait the full time (I think one was even past the limit). On asking around, it appeared this was the norm, because the powers that be were anti-CC. It looks like over the years we have patiently ground the bastards down.

:monkey

scuba_steve

imported post

Nova residents...keep hope alive. I dropped off my permit application in FFX on 3/24...and it arrived in the mail today (4/25)...with a letter dated 4/23. FFX actually didn't sit on it as long as they were allowed to.

BTW, this was a new application for a recently expired permit in a neighboring county (Loudoun). Not sure if that helped. Either way, it's nice.

cheers,
Steve

ravonaf

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
ravonaf wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

I ended up picking up the Bersa 380 at the Marksman in Newport News today. The price was a little high but not outrageous. I found nothing but good reviews for this gun. Now all I have to do is find a good holster and some ammo. I think 380 auto might be more scarce than 9 mill.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I got mine in20 daysin York County. I've been CC'ing a H&K USP 45 in a fanny pack, but it sure is HEAVY with 2 additional 12 rnd mags.

I OC around the neighborhood on nightly walkswith my old black ballistic nylon Bianchi duty belt. it seems to weigh about as much as the Colt .45 ACP (and ancillary equipment) with the old leather duty belt from the 80's.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ravonaf wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
ravonaf wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
I ended up picking up the Bersa 380 at the Marksman in Newport News today. The price was a little high but not outrageous. I found nothing but good reviews for this gun. Now all I have to do is find a good holster and some ammo. I think 380 auto might be more scarce than 9 mill.
I think you'll be pleased with the Bersa .380. For that caliber, it probably the lightest, handiest and most reliable platform there is. The price is reasonable as well. The only thing thats outrageous is the cost of an additional mag (which you should get) They typically want $35 to $39 for one:cuss: You can get a ProMag for about $20, but there is a lot of bad press about the quality of this mag. No other company makes them as far as I know. I bought one and it has worked flawlessly, though I always used the original if I carried the pistol. If you want more info, there is a pretty good website for Bersa lovers.

http://bersatalk.com/forums/11/ShowForum.aspx Enjoy!

jm04

imported post

For those interested:

Loudoun County-16 days. Much faster than I expected.

Although, they got my DOB wrong by one day. Not sure what to do about that. Guess I'll have to take a trip back to the courthouse.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

jm04 wrote:
For those interested:

Loudoun County-16 days. Much faster than I expected.

Although, they got my DOB wrong by one day. Not sure what to do about that. Guess I'll have to take a trip back to the courthouse.
I'd call them ... offer to fax my ID in exchange for them MAILING me a corrected permit.

jm04

imported post

I called the courthouse today and spoke to Kim, who was very helpful in trying to resolve the error.

She said they would have to re-type the permit and get it signed again by the clerk. Since it was their error, she gave me the option of either picking up the new one or having it mailed to me when it's done. I chose the mail option.

In addition, I will have to mail back the incorrect permit, but she said I could wait until after I've received the new one.

Finally, she will call me when the new one has been created and is ready to mail.