• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new holster

fox689

imported post

Hey, I'm looking for a holster and figured I'd ask around. I'd prefer something with a retention other than thumb snap and within $20-$30. Any suggestions/online links would be great.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA

Madrigar

imported post

First off, I am new here! Hello everyone :)

Secondly - I second the Fobus. Just picked one up last night and LOVE it! Using it with an M&P 9c...

fox689

imported post

How do paddle holsters feel vs belt holsters?

Also, rotating holsters: I've heard they have a bad knack for being able to be broken off when excess force is placed down on them.

Madrigar

imported post

I should clarify - I got the Fobus paddle holster. It is VERY comfortable, and has on the inside of it a thin layer of orange rubbery material for comfort and anti-slip. Check out their website. The one I have I believe they call the Evolution Series. They have a nice audible "click" when you holster the gun, can support a loaded gun shaken upside down, yet once disengaged from the tension allow for a very fast smooth draw (I hear leather has friction until gun is totally clear).

One bonus with paddle - you don't NEED a belt, but it also snaps over a belt if you have one on. Need to remove it quickly for any reason? Slide it off rather than remove your belt! To each his own though when it comes to holsters. I am easy, since the Fobus is the first I got at a recommendation from the local gun store.

Not sure about the rotating ones. I know Fobus has them, but no experience with them. However, their holsters were originally designed for and used by Israeli military, SWAT, police, etc if that tells you anything.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

I know that I couldn't find a holster for my Hi-Point .40 cal

Most of the retailers I went to had a Fobus HPP .45 holster right on the wall, but they didn't know that the .40 and .45 hi-points were pretty much the same size.

So they all told me they didn't know of a holster that would fit mygun.

And those are the "experts". I hate to say it, but maybe retail is retail. You can't always expect the guy sellin the gear to know about it all.

I asked and the answer I got was, "Sure it will, or it won't. If it doesn't just bring it back and I'll give your money back".

Can't beat that. I wouldn't begin to presume why your gun isn't a slam dunk on holsters. But I can say that I really like the Paddle Holster from Fobus. I don't know about the rotating ones or any other kind. I just know that my nylon tactical holster did not like My belt, or my jeans. It still moved around too much, and worried me. And it dug into my hip with that metal stamped retention clip.

The paddle holster is rock solid. Doesn't wiggle, doesn't bow. It's tipped forward enough that I can draw forward out, or cross hip without any issue. I can sit in the grass and it tips in the direction of my hips so the barrel doesn't touch the dirt.

It is very comfortable and doesn't drag my pants down even when I am wearing no belt. I was wearing with with shorts and a t-shirt saturday and it was just the same. The paddle just rides on your hip, inside the clothes, so the tighter the clothes, the better it holds, but as long as your waist on your pants are the correct size for your body, the clothes can even be baggy like my cargo shorts. And it still rode very solid.

I imagine if I were a younger man with hoppity Hopp pants hangin off my azz cheeks, it is possible that a paddle holster wouldn't really help much. But at that point I would be so clownish anyway, who really cares.

Right?

fox689

imported post

I wear cargo pants with a tight waist and a T-shirt most days. Nylon webbing belt that I bought before I started carrying (leather belts fall to pieces in a few months for me). Tried out a friend's paddle holster and it just wasn't comfortable.

I'm using a Blackhawk! belt clip holster now and liked it, but the thumb break stopped breaking during practice and had to go. I've also had to reinforce the belt clip to keep the holster from sliding off it, which is another issue. It actually fell off one day when I was getting out of a friend's car at their apartment and scratched up the base of my magazine :(.

It works as is at the moment with the modifications and will probably become my car holster when the belt holster I just ordered comes in.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=12240