• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting S. Wisconsin

doobie

imported post

I'll be visiting southern Wisconsin in a few weeks, I'm a Open Carrier over in NH/VT (I don't get to Maine often), and I'd like to add a third state to my list. I was wondering if there are any gun owners on here in Wisconsin near Gurnee, IL that would would like to lend me a pistol (and holster if none of mine fit) and go open carry around Milwaukee or somewhere else for a few hours. Thanks in advance! I will be spending most of my time in IL, so I won't have my own homeland defense tool with me :(

PS: Anyone know what wiretaping/videotaping/audio recording laws in Wisconsin are in case I have my camcorder to record any incident with 'law enforcement?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

PS: Anyone know what wiretaping/videotaping/audio recording laws in Wisconsin are in case I have my camcorder to record any incident with 'law enforcement?

Recording audio and video in WI is "One person Consent" so as long as you know you are recording yourself, you are legal.

Why not bring your firearm with you to IL, I know they have some real messed up firearm laws, but I highly doubt someone you just met from a brief Internet chat is going to feel comfortable handing their loaded firearm to you, I know I wouldn't chance it because I have no clue of your background or if you have any felonies or other legal reasons to not be eligible to have a firearm in your posession,

I am not trying to be rude, but I declined the offer of the guy in Chicago that offered to take my picture with my camera also.

doobie

imported post

Nutczak wrote:

Recording audio and video in WI is "One person Consent" so as long as you know you are recording yourself, you are legal.

Why not bring your firearm with you to IL, I know they have some real messed up firearm laws, but I highly doubt someone you just met from a brief Internet chat is going to feel comfortable handing their loaded firearm to you, I know I wouldn't chance it because I have no clue of your background or if you have any felonies or other legal reasons to not be eligible to have a firearm in your posession,

I am not trying to be rude, but I declined the offer of the guy in Chicago that offered to take my picture with my camera also.
Thanks for the info.

In IL you need a FOID (residents only) to possess a firearm, even unloaded. Since I'll be spending most of my time in IL, I cannot bring one with me.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

doobie wrote:
Nutczak wrote:

Thanks for the info.

In IL you need a FOID (residents only) to possess a firearm, even unloaded. Since I'll be spending most of my time in IL, I cannot bring one with me.
Only residents of "the republic of ILL-Annoy" need to, or can get a FOID card, non-residents are free and clear of that tactic to keep law abiding citizens from legally owning firearms.

I have both hunted and gone target shooting in that state, the target range operator asked to see my FOID card, and I showed him my WI drivers license and everything was good.
Although the ILL-ANNOY resident I was with was required to show his FOID card to both shoot, purchase, possess, and or handle ammuntion or firearms and in some cases to even be in the store.
Are you an IL resident?

doobie

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
doobie wrote:
Nutczak wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Only residents of "the republic of ILL-Annoy" need to, or can get a FOID card, non-residents are free and clear of that tactic to keep law abiding citizens from legally owning firearms.

I have both hunted and gone target shooting in that state, the target range operator asked to see my FOID card, and I showed him my WI drivers license and everything was good.
Although the ILL-ANNOY resident I was with was required to show his FOID card to both shoot, purchase, possess, and or handle ammuntion or firearms and in some cases to even be in the store.
Are you an IL resident?
Formerly a IL resident, about to visit family. I haven't lived there for 12 years. I'm over in NH now. My understanding was a non-resident couldn't posses a firearm in IL and an IL resident was required to have a FOID.