• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GUN SHOW

hsmith

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
hsmith wrote:
you can always cut the line by joining the NRA as well...
I'd rather stand in linethan give them myaddress for a mailbox full ofhyperbolic fund-raising SPAM.
You could always just call the 800 number and ask to be removed from the mailing list. Then no more hyperbolic fund-raising SPAM. That's what they tell people to do if they don't want the mail.
Why have I clicked the "remove me from these email" links 100x and still get them?

I gladly give them cash, I don't care about their emails.

nova

imported post

I've been an nra member for over a year now and have had someone renew my membership by mistake (I have no idea). I've never gotten any spam or emails, just my Rifleman magazine. Guess I lucked out! :D

ChinChin

imported post

Decided to go myself this afternoon.

Arrived at 14:00 and stood in the line. By the time the doors opened at 3Pm; the line to get in was around the building; and wrapped half-way behind it.

Then there was the second sets of lines once you got into the show. The lines for buying ammo in bulk. Those also wrapped around the column of tables and made passing by or even looking at the merchandise on the neighboring tables.

But thank goodness the young lady selling spent brass jewelry was back. I could spend all day watching her.

Don't tell Mrs. Chin Chin.

Riana

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
But thank goodness the young lady selling spent brass jewelry was back. I could spend all day watching her.

Don't tell Mrs. Chin Chin.
Looking just means you're still breathing. Touching means you don't wanna breathe anymore (and I'm sure Mrs. Chin Chin would take care of that for you). :lol:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

nova wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
nova wrote:
I'm going Friday, I'll be there around 1pm, if not sooner. I figure hopefully I can get a spot near the entrance, and get in line when I start seeing people show up.
1pm? I thought they open to the public at 3pm?
Show opens at 3pm, but I got there today at 12:45pm and the line was just beginning to form. At 1pm they began selling tickets/ziptie guns/stamp hands and said come back at 3pm to the side door to walk right in. After getting my ticket I went over to Willards BBQ :celebrate:celebratewith useful_idiot 'till 2pm then waited in the side door line till 3.

Glad I did, because I saw only one ammo guy with 9BPLE, only had 6 boxes. I bought 3 at first at 30/ea, then came back for the rest. Got the last two left as another guy got one. So I was able to get 5 total for 30/ea. I don't regret it either even though I know a few months ago it was 20/ea and below. With the ATK/Federal crackdown on "LE-marked" ammo and the ridiculous demand for ammo in general I figured I'd get as much as I could afford. Also got a few plastic ammo boxes for my reloads and some targets.
Hey Nova, what's this about?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Possibly the most crowded Dulles show I have ever attended. I got there at 3:20 and it took maybe 20-25 minutes to get into the building. Inside was incredibly crowded. A heck of a lot of ammo was being sold and those tables were really backed up. I bought almost nothing.

mkl

imported post

Very crowded. I didn't spend too much time looking at ammo prices, but the ones I happened to see were very high. Blazer Brass 9mm 50 round box for $15-$20, and I have been still getting them regularly at walmart for 8.97$. 550 value packs of .22 that are $14 at walmart (just bought one last week) for $30.

Tons of EBR in stock everywhere, mostly with the new higher prices. Saw quite a few ARs for under 1000$, olympics mostly. Ammo was the hot seller at this show, not the guns like last time. "Normal" AK price seems to be $600-$800 now, and there were a lot of them as well.

Strangely enough, this was the fastest I have ever gotten in. I got there at just before 3. I walked up and bought my ticket (they were pre-selling them so that at 3 they could just have everyone walk in without slowing down for buying) . Got my gun ziptied and they opened the doors....I just walked in.

zoom6zoom

imported post

mkl wrote:
Blazer Brass 9mm 50 round box for $15-$20, and I have been still getting them regularly at walmart for 8.97$. 550 value packs of .22 that are $14 at walmart (just bought one last week) for $30.
They're probably getting them at Walmart, too!

nova

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
nova wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
nova wrote:
I'm going Friday, I'll be there around 1pm, if not sooner. I figure hopefully I can get a spot near the entrance, and get in line when I start seeing people show up.
1pm? I thought they open to the public at 3pm?
Show opens at 3pm, but I got there today at 12:45pm and the line was just beginning to form. At 1pm they began selling tickets/ziptie guns/stamp hands and said come back at 3pm to the side door to walk right in. After getting my ticket I went over to Willards BBQ :celebrate:celebratewith useful_idiot 'till 2pm then waited in the side door line till 3.

Glad I did, because I saw only one ammo guy with 9BPLE, only had 6 boxes. I bought 3 at first at 30/ea, then came back for the rest. Got the last two left as another guy got one. So I was able to get 5 total for 30/ea. I don't regret it either even though I know a few months ago it was 20/ea and below. With the ATK/Federal crackdown on "LE-marked" ammo and the ridiculous demand for ammo in general I figured I'd get as much as I could afford. Also got a few plastic ammo boxes for my reloads and some targets.
Hey Nova, what's this about?
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12559244

Member "hotpig" is an ammo dealer on that site.

Here's another thread I started on there before the above thread was started
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949596

echo6tango

imported post

I thought I would be smooth, leave work early from Arlington, and beat the crowd. Nope. The place was a mad house. I kept track...I spent over 2 and a half hours standing in one line or another. 1,000 rounds of 9mm for under $300 made it somewhat worth it. I would have never made that statement 2 years ago though. I've waited longer for less. I also bought 1,000 rounds of .40 cal...and I don't even have a .40 cal weapon. Well, now I guess I have to buy a pistol for all those rounds :)

I'm not an ammo hoarder either...I plan on shooting all of that before the end of the year!

Lots of prices seemed insane, but it also seemed like people were buying anyway.

I saw one older woman walking out with a pistol and a full case of ammo. It made me smile :)

Chuckles

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
mkl wrote:
Blazer Brass 9mm 50 round box for $15-$20, and I have been still getting them regularly at walmart for 8.97$. 550 value packs of .22 that are $14 at walmart (just bought one last week) for $30.
They're probably getting them at Walmart, too!

Saw a small mom and pop shop peddling WWB 9mm for $40, yep, the same kind that WalMart sells for $19.95 (when you can find them).
Took a wad of cash from ATM and only managed to spend about $50, very disappointed with the ammo price.

I went to Sterling WalMart afterwards and apparently they have recently started a "3 boxes ammo maximum per customer" policy. For better or worse, it's about time!

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Waited in line for over an hour to get in. Then like everyone I made a dash to the reloading or ammo sellers. There were no regular primers only magnum primers at the first table I went to and all those primers were gone in 5 minutes. Then spent over an hour at another reloading supplier to get 1 box of rifle primers. They were smartly rationing the primers. One primer box per person. There were some gun stores buying the primers to resell in their stores. The federal ammo guy was chest deep in ammo at 3:00pm It was all but gone by 6:00pm. Another ammo guy near him had a ton of ammo at what I thought were very high prices. A case of .380 was selling for $300!!!

If you are into reloading and didn't make it today, it's not worth going to the rest of the weekend unless you only need bullets and that's iffy. It was as crowded this afternoon as it usually is on Saturday's. The locust descended and cleaned the place out. They did have guns to sell, but unless you can fix a bayonet to it, it will just be a wall hanger.

That's my report. It wasn't pretty.

nova

imported post

Nice to see you useful_idiot, had a great time hanging around out front of the show with you and your associate...it didn't feel like the 2 hours it really was, also thanks for the heads up on the ammo :).

Also nice to see you longwatch, I would have hung around longer but didn't want to bug you when you had customers.

'till next time.

curtiswr

imported post

I want to go but girlfriend has work and we can't make the trip. Wanna try and trade/sell my GP-100 and I don't wanna wait for the Richmond Show.

Plus I've never been to the big one in Chantilly.

Oh well. Next time. Patience is a virtue.

hunter45

imported post

I just got back. There was no line when I get there around 11:00am. I only stayed for about 45 minutues. I bought half a case of 7.62x39 for $190.A camera man from CNN was filming me when I bought it.

Chuckles

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I just got back.  There was no line when I get there around 11:00am.  I only stayed for about 45 minutues.  I bought half a case of 7.62x39 for $190.  A camera man from CNN was filming me when I bought it.

Haha, you will be the poster child for the new definition of "Domestic Terrorists" according to Janet Napolitano.