• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bad guys 0, OC'er 2

joshuaeberly

imported post

tonight, approximately 11pm my dog started tripping, so I went outside, and took a gander at the street, 2 males walking down the sidewalk, OK, didn't see them doing anything wrong.

tonight, approximately 11:15 pm, the dog starts barking and howling, very angry.
I went outside, and looked up and down the street, there's these two guys, about a block away, I watch them sidle up to a car, open the door, and the alarms go off. these guys start running.

I grabbed my coat off the deck(cellphone was in the pocket), and threw it on as I chased them, followed them right up the hill to the cross street, where they stopped running, and started walking. As soon as they stopped running, I maintained 1 block distance, while calling the police (don't need to be a hero).

they turned down a side street, and at the intersection approached a car that was stopped at the light, I immediately closed the gap, got to within a half block, and they looked up and saw me, on my cellphone, OC'ing (honestly don't know if they saw the gun), (didn't know if they were gonna try to jack the car, pretty sure it was their idea).

edited for, now my wife tells me that she had seen them earlier, "glance into my truck" as they were walking by, but since they didn't stop walking, she didn't think anything was wrong.
also, considering the way they didn't hesitate to approach the car, either they saw my gun and that kept them from approaching me, and kept them from jacking the car or the car was an accomplice (strongly doubt that the getaway would have been planned for this sort of attempted "grab", or that the getaway would have known where to find them, doesn't fit)
they started half running again, STRAIGHT DOWN THE SAME STREET, until the police showed up.

so, :) 2 more punks won't be back on the streets till tomorrow.

joshuaeberly

imported post

oh, and a question,
1) my voice recorder was on the charger, so I wasn't gonna make an issue, but the first officer I talked to told me to cover, as my recorder wasn't on me and running, I just did.
2) after I showed the officers the vehicle that had been "violated" and been sent on my way, one of the officers (the K9 unit that had shown up), was crawling around in the backseat, didn't see what he was doing, I was busy making sure that my own vehicles had not been compromised. can the officers do this? (nothing was broken, the car was left unlocked, leaving them that way has been SOP since last summer, people decided their stuff was getting stole anyway, why pay for a new window too?)

ghostrider

imported post

xd-40 wrote:
oh, and a question,
1) my voice recorder was on the charger, so I wasn't gonna make an issue, but the first officer I talked to told me to cover, as my recorder wasn't on me and running, I just did.
2) after I showed the officers the vehicle that had been "violated" and been sent on my way, one of the officers (the K9 unit that had shown up), was crawling around in the backseat, didn't see what he was doing, I was busy making sure that my own vehicles had not been compromised. can the officers do this? (nothing was broken, the car was left unlocked, leaving them that way has been SOP since last summer, people decided their stuff was getting stole anyway, why pay for a new window too?)
Interesting question. It might be something to pose in the Legal Beagle section at MGO.

They may have just been making a vehicle inventory for the police report, but I don't know of the authority to do so. I suppose if they can do that, then what's to stop them from doing it to any car left unlocked on your street.