• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Simultaneous Open Carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Given law enforcement over-reaction to "man with a gun calls" I'm thinking out loud if thereare merits to a simultaneous open carry focusing on one jurisdiction at a time.

IE, if there is a municipality with 5 cops on in a given shift. If we had 6 or 7 people to simultaneously open carry at various locations in the city, the police would have their resources over-extended to try to detain each one. They would almost be forced to "screen" the calls asking people if there is anything other than just a "person carrying"

I recognize larger municipalities would have more officers on duty any given time, but just a thought of something we could do at over-zealous smaller municipalities.

Interesting idea, but I think this "surge" tactic is probably not what we need in most of Wisconsin - what is probably best is low key normal unremarkable OC - the kind of conduct that people barely notice and then when they do, they say or think, oh, one of those open carriers - i read about that. Hmm.

With all teh school zone and car carry problems, calling for folks unfamiliar with terrain i a given area might get them in trouble too.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

P.I. Guy wrote:
When they get 5 differentcalls for a man w/a gun and a accident happens at the same time, do you think they are going to disregard the man w/ a gun calls?
In practice what has happenned in the states where OC has become popular, the 911 dispatchers start triaging the calls - asking the caller if the OCer is doing anything illegal or htreatening and explaining that OC is legal - this results in, duh,fewer dispatches.

i know this because in states where OC has grown to be frankly, unremarkable, the police don;t want anything to do with OCers who know what they are doing - we will FOIA the 911 call, and rub everybody;s noses in it if the police conduct a non-consensual stop - and if they balk at fulfilling the 911 FOIA request, great, we sue them and get the press in on it - they love FOIA - then we show up OCing to public meetings and calmly speak for 3 minutes against unlawful police responses - believe me, it works like freakin' drano.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Interesting idea, but I think this "surge" tactic is probably not what we need in most of Wisconsin
I agree. I started this topic when I thought (because of Ed Flynns inflamatory remarks, and remarks I've heard from other departments) that they were going to "put down on the ground" people who Open Carry.

Having now open carried 5 times in 5 different very public places in the past week, and reading stories of others who have, I think the police were rattling the cage as hard as they could for media purposes, but in reality KNOW they are overstepping if they start putting people on the ground etc.

Everyone should OC as they wish now. They have nothing to fear. Worst case scenario I'd expect is for the police to stop and ask you some consentual questions. I'd be exceptionally surprised if anyone gets arrested NOW after ALL this. If you ARE arrested (which I think is EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely) I can tell you that I have MULTIPLE local television stations that have asked me to PLEASE let them know if anyone is arrested. That kind of publicity is valuable in terms of keeping law enforcement "honest" in their dealings with you. But again, unless you are doing something else wrong, you shouldn't worry about being arrested for OC. Stopped and questioned. Perhaps. Kindly give them your name if you wish, and ask if you are free to go. They might run your name, if they do anddetermine you aren't a felon you'll beon your way.

eleuthera

imported post

Saturday, May 9th I'll be open carrying downtown Milwaukee in the early afternoon. I'll have a couple friends with me with cameras JIC our LEO's get a bit over-zealous. Anyone care for a walk downtown? I need to buy some nice shoes, was thinking about checking out Grand Ave Mall for a bit.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I think the police were rattling the cage as hard as they could for media purposes, but in reality KNOW they are overstepping if they start putting people on the ground etc.

I agree, and I hope were right. Even though it might just be that people aren't calling the police on open carriers I too think they were rattling the cage. This is "getting me moreout of the closet" in a way (not a gay way lmao) and giving me more courage to do it in public places, "simultaneous open carry." I know I can't afford attorny fees or what not but as the last few weeks passed and police remained inactive in "putting us on the ground" this or soon may be the time for some of us younger or/and very fiscally tight open carriers to proceed with more public open carry. I'm not saying any of you are rich because I'm pretty sure no one here is "rich" I mean more living paycheck to paycheck ie. college students or those laid off, rather than those finantially stable.

Ben

AaronS

imported post

BJA, I feel you 100%. I am jobless right now. But I don't think I would have to shell out any money if I need a lawyer (for OC), I think he would just take a larger cut of any money. Downtown this weekend eh? Ill try to get back to ya later.