• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why can't the NRA be more like the gay community?

Rayce Bannon

imported post

I'm speaking politically. Watch the tactics of the Gay community. They are relentless. They tryed to hav a U.S. const ammendment passed....that tactic failed. Then they switched tactics and decided to hone all their energy, power, resources and attacked the laws of one state at a time. They hav been successful in4 states. In Cali they lost at the voting polls. Did they stop? NOPE. They then took their fight to the Cali sup crt.

This is whatthe NRA needs to do. Hone in all their energy, power, and resourcesthen pick a state - andattack it.(politically speaking)Be relentless. Get the laws changed their...then move on to the nxt state.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Aren't you just the cutest.

The NRA doesn't want to win. That's too much effort. They want to LOOK like they're pushing so people keep donating.

Plus, once they win, they run the risk of less people donating = less money in their pockets.

Rayce Bannon

imported post

Aran wrote:
Aren't you just the cutest.

The NRA doesn't want to win. That's too much effort. They want to LOOK like they're pushing so people keep donating.

Plus, once they win, they run the risk of less people donating = less money in their pockets.
And I thought I was the only who knew the NRA was worthless.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Rayce Bannon wrote:
I'm speaking politically. Watch the tactics of the Gay community. They are relentless. They tryed to hav a U.S. const ammendment passed....that tactic failed. Then they switched tactics and decided to hone all their energy, power, resources and attacked the laws of one state at a time. They hav been successful in4 states. In Cali they lost at the voting polls. Did they stop? NOPE. They then took their fight to the Cali sup crt.

This is whatthe NRA needs to do. Hone in all their energy, power, and resourcesthen pick a state - andattack it. (politically speaking)Be relentless. Get the laws changed their...then move on to the nxt state.
You got it slightly backwards. "They tried to have a US constitutional amendment passed". Actually, we (I say "we" as a member of the GLBT community myself) were trying to stop a constitutional amendment that would have not only put the "Defense of Marriage" act into federal law, but also enforce it against states too.

The "other side" was relentless in pushing the DOMA Constitutional Amendment, which would have not only overturned the State Supreme Court decisions made on the basis of their own state constitutions, they would have stripped the state of Vermont from passing a marriage equality law legislatively, which passed by more than 2/3rds majorities in both state legislative bodies after overriding a gubernatorial veto. This is the same state which is regarded as the Valhalla of gun rights, the source of "Vermont-carry" and so on.

I would eventually say that the destinies of the gun rights movement and the GLBT rights movement are somewhat similar, if not intermixed together in some ways.

The gun rights movement is regularly attacked by false statistical analysis of the likes of Carl Bogus, Arthur Kellerman, and Josh Sugarmann, stating that gun owners are dangerous to themselves, their familes and their communities, using BS statistics as the "13 children a day" and "43 times more likely" crap.

The gay rights movement (as well as individuals) are attacked also by false statistical analysis of the likes of Paul Cameron, who regularly pumped out false statistics that gay men's life expectancy was around age 40. His source of his statistics? Obituaries in local gay news weeklies. Self-reporting bias anyone?

The gun rights movement is also regularly attacked by people who continually say that the streets will run red with blood if we are allowed to carry for our personal protection.

The gay rights movement (as well as individuals who are so) are attacked by preachers that say that gay couples getting married is worse than the Iowa floods of 2008, which, I dunno, actually KILLED PEOPLE?!!!

Same kinds of arguments, same kinds of emotional rhetoric. "Everyone knows that this is what will happen when we allow 'fill in the blank here' to happen."

Gee, makes you wonder why I'm so suspicious of such kind of statements :what:

Think of the marriage equality movement as similar to the state of the United States concealed carry laws in 1988, after Florida passed their law in 1987. The NRA, and other local organizations, DID relentlessly go after states to pass shall-issue carry laws. The marriage equality movement is actually now following about the same path as NRA/other gun rights orgs starting in 1987. The gay rights movement actually learned from the relentlessness of the NRA/other gun rights groups, which focused on 1 state, Florida (which took YEARS to pass), and then went to others and spread it around.

I could write an enter treatise on the subject of comparative civil rights activism. Maybe I should.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

To the OP,

'Gay' is a lifestyle among other things, not unlike a religiously observant life, a faith that cannot be denied but at great personal expense.

The NRA is in the business for profit. The NRA is the obverse of the gun control slice of baloney with Sarah Brady's et alii on the reverse.

An NRA 'member' can scrape his sticker, tear up his card and stop paying his subscription and live an easier life. A 'gay' cannot.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
To the OP,

'Gay' is a lifestyle among other things, not unlike a religiously observant life, a faith that cannot be denied but at great personal expense.

The NRA is in the business for profit. The NRA is the obverse of the gun control slice of baloney with Sarah Brady's et alii on the reverse.

An NRA 'member' can scrape his sticker, tear up his card and stop paying his subscription and live an easier life. A 'gay' cannot.
I think you absolutely missed the point here.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Lord_Kalen wrote:
I personally would love to see an armed gun owner pride parade ..

Or maybe a large OC gathering in San Fransisco ?

Better yet, as I've been saying forever, we need a GAY/LESBIAN gun owner parade. Nothing will take the wind out of the anti's sails like seeing homosexuals supporting the second amendment. If there was ever a break through outlet for the second amendment movement, it's the Pink Pistols and anything similar. Now we couldget rid of thehomophobe hicks in our ranks we'd kill two birds withone stone.

And, to the OP... this:

Aran:

hsmith

imported post

The NRA and the Brady Campaign are one in the same. Neither would like to see anything actually done to help/remove the 2nd Amendment - if a forever AWB was passed, IMO the Brady Campaign would start to lose money, the NRA might gain membership to "fight it" but the Bradys would benefit more if they could run their fear campaign of "zomg it is going to expire! we need more money!"

They thrive off one another.

1stfreedom

imported post

gays and lesbians have the luxury of liberal activist judges on there side, and there are a hell of a lot more than 4million of them,that is the number of voteing NRA gun owners.

As you know, the number of voters gets the politicians attention.

I don,t want to get into the NRA only in it for the money thing AGAIN, but if you actually new anybody that worked there, you would realize that NOBODY is there for the money.

Gray Peterson

imported post

1stfreedom wrote:
gays and lesbians have the luxury of liberal activist judges on there side, and there are a hell of a lot more than 4million of them,that is the number of voteing NRA gun owners.
Is anyone who decides against your opinion is an activist judge? I'm sure the Brady Campaign and VPC agrees with you about "activist judges" striking down local gun control laws.

"Activist Judge" is a buzzword boogieman that's been used by those who are against the civil rights of individuals for decades or more, and when the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the SCOTUS, starts striking down California's carry law, AWB's, and so on, the Brady's, acting like the modern day Klansmen and Lester Maddox's, will decry the decision as the work of "activist judges".

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
1stfreedom wrote:
Is anyone who decides against your opinion is an activist judge? I'm sure the Brady Campaign and VPC agrees with you about "activist judges" striking down local gun control laws.

"Activist Judge" is a buzzword boogieman that's been used by those who are against the civil rights of individuals for decades or more, and when the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the SCOTUS, starts striking down California's carry law, AWB's, and so on, the Brady's, acting like the modern day Klansmen and Lester Maddox's, will decry the decision as the work of "activist judges".

LAWL I was thinking the exact same thing. Thumbs up to your, sir, for telling it like it is.

Gray Peterson

imported post

I have a low opinion of people who engage in pro-gun arguments based on not wanting to register their guns, not wanting to be on a "list", not wanting the government in general to destroy their privacy for whatever, and then supporting allow states to use police state tactics against groups that they don't like (gays, hippies, whoever). Such hypocrisy isn't unnoticed by the fence sitters on the left side of the equation.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
I have a low opinion of people who engage in pro-gun arguments based on not wanting to register their guns, not wanting to be on a "list", not wanting the government in general to destroy their privacy for whatever, and then supporting allow states to use police state tactics against groups that they don't like (gays, hippies, whoever). Such hypocrisy isn't unnoticed by the fence sitters on the left side of the equation.
But them gays and hippies ain't real people!