• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions Concerning Gun laws in KY

BerettaM

imported post

hey everyone.....i'm purchasing my first handgun soon and have a few questions....if anyone can help clarify things i'd appreciate the help.....by the way, i'm 21 and in KY

1) will there be any background check/waiting period? or will i walk out with the gun that day?

the main purpose of the gun isfor going to the range tofamiliarize myself with an 9mm....i'm leaving for Air Force BMT soon enough.....so

2) am i completely obeying KY gun laws if i walk out of my house withthe unloaded gun in a case (ammo seperate), place it in my trunk, drive to the range, walk in the the case???? no special permits needed???

TheMrMitch

imported post

Check in at the Kentucky forums, but for now:

There will be the instant check and you should have possession of the gun in just a few minutes barring something unseen.

You may carry the gun LOADED or unloaded in your glove box or trunk. You may carry the gun loaded in sight on your hip. Just use common sense and have a good time.:dude:

chris in va

imported post

Relax, take a deep breath. You're in KY, probably one of the top 5 states with the most lax gun laws.

And congrats on your BMT. When are you due to go? I was in 92-96, if I can help let me know.

BerettaM

imported post

June 1....i pretty much know what to expect, i think....just shut up, do as i'm told and make sure all is neat and clean, right?

BerettaM

imported post

wow....so you've seen a lot that this world has to offer..thats cool....off topic---but to update, i took the detonics tothe range and she felt great....one problem--the trigger spring under the grip kept falling out after every third or fourth shot...any suggestions???

Statesman

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
HehHeh....I went into USMC boot camp at PI on a june 1st also.

50 years ago!:p
wow! I've been told the drill sergeants were much tougher on recruits back then. While I know we're talking about the Marines, but Is this true?

TheMrMitch

imported post

Statesman wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
HehHeh....I went into USMC boot camp at PI on a june 1st also.

50 years ago!:p
wow! I've been told the drill sergeants were much tougher on recruits back then. While I know we're talking about the Marines, but Is this true?

Yes. The proudest moment of my life then was that I made it. We lost 50% of our platoon during boot camp.

It's hard for people to really understand what went down during Parris Island Boot Camp in that era. I'm still proud. Believe it.

Boomer1948

Imported Post

Statesman wrote:

Yes. The proudest moment of my life then was that I made it. We lost 50% of our platoon during boot camp.

It's hard for people to really understand what went down during Parris Island Boot Camp in that era. I'm still proud. Believe it.

"This is my weapon, This is my gun. This is for business, This is for fun." Watch Full metal Jacket for a right on representation of ALL boot camps during the 60's-70's. I went to Lackland AFB, Tx May of 1968, qualified with the M-16 with 99 direct hits out of 100 rounds. Got My marksman ribbon on the way back to the barracks from the firing range. Upon graduation I was sent to Medical Corpsman Training and never got to fire a weapon during the rest of my enlistment...Corpsmen are non-combatants, thus are "not armed" so not a threat. (Yeah, right!) If you were in country, you damn well better be armed! That's where I grew fond of my 1911. Anyway, after making SSgt, surviving the Nam and coming back to the real world, I find packing, and knowing how and when to use a weapon does make one more confident to walk these streets today. So, yes, buy your weapon, practice with it, DO NOT TAKE IT BOOT CAMP WITH YOU! take the class and get your CCDW License. Before you plan to pack it with you, check out the rules, regs and laws, because if you F.U. with a weapon then you will be subject to FEDERAL action. You as military, will answer to the Man on base for ANY mess-ups. Keep your ears and eyes open, your mouth shut, the first word and the last word out of your mouth is always "SIR" (How am I doing so far, Jar Heads... sound about right? USMC -First in - Last out! HOORAH! Semper Fi. Chesty Puller lives forever!) God bless you guys!
Sorry for getting WAY off subject, but yes you can carry the weapon in the glovebox (loaded or unloaded).
Any questions you have can be answered here:
http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm
Boomer1948 -:banana: