• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock

wheelerXD

imported post

Well I'm thinking about buying a glock I have no clue why I want to do it other then the fact that I can almost get two of them for the price of some of the Sigs. But any ways my question is what are decent models I had a Glock 31 3rd gen I believe that my wife traded my XDM for but I sold it before i even shot it but I did like how it fit my hands. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Semper Fi

Spectre

imported post

Since the classes of Glocks (Full Size, Compact, Sub Compact) are for the most part the same in ergonomics I say find the class that fits your hand the most comfortably. Then find your favorite calibre. Once you find those two things the gun should be golden to you.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

All GLOCKs are pretty dman good. So, I think it's a caliber preference. I like .40, so I have a 23 and 27. I also like 10mm, so I'm in the market for a 20SF and/or a 29SF. Just sold my 20 to help fund that pending purchase.

I've never had a problem with any of the GLOCKs I've owned. They're kinda ugly but utterly reliable and shoot real good.

wheelerXD

imported post

Im looking for .40 s&w or .357 sig mainly but possibly 9mm and from I've seen on here for 9mm the G19 is pretty decent. I kinda wished I wouldn't have sold the G31 that my wife got but I never thought I would convert to Glock. What is the Difference between say a G21 and a G21SF? I haven't been able to really find anything but since my internet is down at home i just got the blackberry which makes searching for stuff a bit more difficult. Thanks

P.s sorry for piss poor grammer never really paid attention in english class.

Semper Fi

architect

imported post

gotsig wrote:
Well I'm thinking about buying a glock I have no clue why I want to do it other then the fact that I can almost get two of them for the price of some of the Sigs.
What a coincidence, I have a Glock and I'm thinking of buying a Sig. I have no clue why, especially because the one I want (P220 SS Carry Elite) is three times the price of a new Glock!

But to answer your question, I've been happy with my G17 for over twenty years now, and probably OC it more than any of my pistols. It is too big for comfortable CC, for me anyway. If I were to buy another Glock today -- don't try me, I might do it -- it would probably be a 30SF, a 38, or a 32 all of which just seem to fit my hand nicely.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have five Glocks and my primary carry piece is a Glock 23 (of which I have two). According to a well-known writer in the gun culture, the Glock 23 is the best all around combat defensive sidearm you can carry. His (pen) name is Boston T. Party and he made this statement in his book, "Boston's Gun Bible". He is opinionated but also knowledgeable.

You'd be hard pressed to do better than a G23, which I assume you know is a .40S&W.

wheelerXD

imported post

Just got a G22 4th Gen after trading one of my guns that I rarely ever carry or use anymore. Still probally will look into getting a G19 since I want a 9mm and I might have to check out a G23. Now hopefully I'll be able to make it to the range this weekend to try it out.

Semper Fi

Spectre

imported post

gotsig wrote:
Just got a G22 4th Gen after trading one of my guns that I rarely ever carry or use anymore.  Still probally will look into getting a G19 since I want a 9mm and I might have to check out a G23.  Now hopefully I'll be able to make it to the range this weekend to try it out.

Semper Fi

Thats a great gun...I gave my G22 to my dad and he loves it to death.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

gotsig wrote:
Just got a G22 4th Gen after trading one of my guns that I rarely ever carry or use anymore. Still probally will look into getting a G19 since I want a 9mm and I might have to check out a G23. Now hopefully I'll be able to make it to the range this weekend to try it out.

Semper Fi
I am pretty discriminating in my carry arms because of several variables. My vehicle (at the time - truck or car), clothing, and whether I am going to OC or CC are some of these factors. And then there is the way the gun feels in my hand; how it comes up, is it a natural pointer, can do I have to make any sort of grip adjustments before I can fire the gun? All of this, and more, is very important to me in deciding which guns will enter my carry stable. My primary guns for carry come from my Glocks and my Kahrs. There are guns in my collection from both of these manufacturers that are prime carry pieces.

As for my primary carry gun, it is one of my Glock 23's (I have two). The 23, and 19, platform fits my hand to near perfection and carries very well for both concealed and open carry use (yes, I also have a 19). What makes the 23 and 19 such a good platform for me is its size and feel, and its capacity. The 23 is a great carry piece and I would highly recommend this model to anyone looking for an everyday working carrying gun.

jerg_064

imported post

I really like my G17, which is my carry pistol. But there are at least 2 mods that I highly advise on the glocks.

An extended slide release, and an extended mag release. A G21 mag release worked for an extended mag release on my G17. And you can find a matte black extend slide release pretty easily, Try glockstore.com

The glocks have a lot of mods to choose from for customization and comfort.

However, glocks have one downfall. They jam with limp wrist!! Shouldn't be a problem for an ex marine, but my G17 jams everytime I left my wife fire it. She can't get her hands on the full size grip, just be aware of that.

Dustin

imported post

gotsig wrote:
Well I'm thinking about buying a glock I have no clue why I want to do it other then the fact that I can almost get two of them for the price of some of the Sigs.

Sounds like most Glock owners I talk to.

Don't buy it if you have noidea why.

Glocks are great guns, but there's lots out there to choose from.

Springfield XD's not XDM's run a close if not better race IMO.

Taurus 24/7, S&W MP's.

All outstanding guns.

Semper Fi back at cha !

wheelerXD

imported post

I've been into glocks but when I was in afghanistan back in '05 I borrowed a sig from the 1stsgt of the afghani soldiers with us and fell in love with them. But ended buying a xd for my wife cause she didn't like as she says the little thing on the back (the hammer) and she didn't really like the feel of the glock she tryed. So recently since I never carry my P245 I traded it for a G22 and the guy I got that from has a G23 in od and black that I'm picking up tomorrow. Now just to find enough 40 S&W to go out and enjoy them. Thank you to ya'll for your input.

Semper Fi

Dustin

imported post

gotsig wrote:
I've been into glocks but when I was in afghanistan back in '05 I borrowed a sig from the 1stsgt of the afghani soldiers with us and fell in love with them. But ended buying a xd for my wife cause she didn't like as she says the little thing on the back (the hammer) and she didn't really like the feel of the glock she tryed. So recently since I never carry my P245 I traded it for a G22 and the guy I got that from has a G23 in od and black that I'm picking up tomorrow. Now just to find enough 40 S&W to go out and enjoy them. Thank you to ya'll for your input.

Semper Fi

A SIG on an ANA 1st SGT.?

I handled and fired a Walther P99 in Iraq, but when I was in Afghanistan in 04 no ANA carried pistols.

Edit: BTW - I haven't seen any .40 ammo since Istocked up some time ago.

wheelerXD

imported post

Yeah they got them shortly after we got there. I think it was just that unit that had them. It was a p 226 I think but can't remember since my memory is fuzzy from being blown up so many times.

Semper Fi

kurtmax_0

imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
I really like my G17, which is my carry pistol. But there are at least 2 mods that I highly advise on the glocks.

An extended slide release, and an extended mag release.

I would recommend against getting an 'extended slide release'. Glocks, like most automatic pistols, have a slide stop, not a slide release. The slide stop is not designed to release the slide by pushing down on the slide stop lever. The firearm is designed to have the slide pulled back to re-charge it.

jerg_064 wrote:
However, glocks have one downfall. They jam with limp wrist!! Shouldn't be a problem for an ex marine, but my G17 jams everytime I left my wife fire it. She can't get her hands on the full size grip, just be aware of that.

I've never had any problems with anybody limp-wristing a G19, must be a 17 thing?

JDriver1.8t

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
jerg_064 wrote:

I would recommend against getting an 'extended slide release'. Glocks, like most automatic pistols, have a slide stop, not a slide release. The slide stop is not designed to release the slide by pushing down on the slide stop lever. The firearm is designed to have the slide pulled back to re-charge it.
While you are correct, that it is called a slide stop lever; the GLOCK Manual says that using this to release the slide is a viable method. The slide release/stop/lock lever can be used to bring the gun into battery from the locked back position. Eventually (10k rounds or so) the part may where out, and you will need another ($8).

kurtmax_0

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
jerg_064 wrote:

While you are correct, that it is called a slide stop lever; the GLOCK Manual says that using this to release the slide is a viable method.  The slide release/stop/lock lever can be used to bring the gun into battery from the locked back position.  Eventually (10k rounds or so) the part may where out, and you will need another ($8).

Fair enough. I've always been instructed to never use the slide stop to charge. While it's possible to do on most firearms, it's not really a primary intent as indicated by the slide stop being ridiculously small and needing 3rd party parts to make it easier to use...

Madrigar

imported post

My wife kept jamming my S&W M&P 9c the same way (guns are fairly similar), so finally got her her own first gun (Bersa Thunder .380 CC) that she can't limp-wrist :)