Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor gun range close to NOVA

Post imported post

Hello,

I am looking for an outdoor rifle range of at least 100 yards (preferably more) somewhat accessible to NOVA. I am willing to drive up to 4 hours one way to get to a good range.

I'm tired of firing at these short indoor ranges. I want to really test my marksmanship in a realistic manner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Post imported post

The Cove Campground in Gore VA. Bring a 4x4, it's at the top of a hill and you need clearance (not necessarily 4wd). Call ahead first and make sure they're open. If you get a recording, assume they're closed (even if they say "we're open").

Oh, bring lots of stuff to shoot at. Anything. You'll kick yourself if you just bring paper targets.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

You could join one of the Isaac Walton Leagues in the area. You could join the Fairfax Rifle and Pistol club, you could join the Quantico Rifle and Pistol club.

Post imported post

What/where the heck is NOVA?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Northern Virginia

Post imported post

Please don't confuse it with the real Virginia. NOVA has been occupied for years now.

Post imported post

NightOwl wrote:
    What/where the heck is NOVA?
    NOVA is where the people who pay all the taxes to feed the rest of the state live. It's also the birthplaceof the VCDL.

Post imported post

hellfogg wrote:
    Please don't confuse it with the real Virginia. NOVA has been occupied for years now.
    Perhaps. But we have a very active resistance movement. No white flag.

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    Oh definitely, you guys in NOVA have a very active following. My anger towards NOVA is not directed at people like you guys, I'm angry at the people that move down to VA and try to change our politics. I'm glad to see that people like you and other members of this website haven't given up.

Post imported post

don't worry, some of us moved down to VA from more liberal states to shore up the defenses..

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

hellfogg wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    Oh definitely, you guys in NOVA have a very active following. My anger towards NOVA is not directed at people like you guys, I'm angry at the people that move down to VA and try to change our politics. I'm glad to see that people like you and other members of this website haven't given up.
    Amen to that!

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    Amen to that!

Really? I moved down to Virginia, and I'm trying to change your (ahem...our) politics.

Hope you're enjoying that pre-emption thingie.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    Amen to that !

Really? I moved down to Virginia, and I'm trying to change your (ahem...our) politics.

Tomahawk, first off let me say that I dislike both political parties. As far as changing our politics, you have to admit that the Virginia has been gradually moving further to the left recently. Now is this because of people moving from liberal areas from up north or because of fake conservatives that are destroying the Republican party, I don't know. However, politicians like Tim Kaine and Jim Webb were elected with a significant amount of support from NOVA, and also even with this past election with Obama winning Virginia. I don't mind people moving here, but don't move away from up North to escape high taxes and move to Virginia and vote for the exact same type of politicians that want to raise taxes. I meant no disrespect towards you with my previous post and I 'm happy to see that you've stayed in Virginia since moving.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    Amen to that!

Tomahawk. You know me.. at least to some degree. You should know what I mean by my my "Amen". I don't want to see Virginia turned into New York or some other New England state. Nothing against our friends from up there, but I rather like the traditional Virginia (and Southern) flavor and would hate to see it lost to history. And I am sure I would feel the same if I was a native of Cape Cod and saw a mass influx of people coming there from the South.

Of course, I also know that this migration has and is occurring and will continue to do so. Hope this clears it up a might.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

Having been born and raised in Alexandria, I grew up telling folks from S. of Richmond that I wasn't really a yankee, I was defending the borders so they could live in peace. I lost that fight and moved away. I see Alexandria as sort of an extended Boston suburb, now.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

May God Bless all of you that can standliving in NOVA. I lived there for a couple years while I was in HS and my dad was stationed in the DC area. I've been back a few times to visit and everyone is in SUCH a hurry!!! I'm glad you folks are there to keep those silly commies inside the beltway incheck!
    Y'all just remember where Liberty was WON... Yorktown VA, OCT 19, 1781
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

hellfogg wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    Amen to that !

Tomahawk, first off let me say that I dislike both political parties. As far as changing our politics, you have to admit that the Virginia has been gradually moving further to the left recently. Now is this because of people moving from liberal areas from up north or because of fake conservatives that are destroying the Republican party, I don't know. However, politicians like Tim Kaine and Jim Webb were elected with a significant amount of support from NOVA, and also even with this past election with Obama winning Virginia. I don't mind people moving here, but don't move away from up North to escape high taxes and move to Virginia and vote for the exact same type of politicians that want to raise taxes. I meant no disrespect towards you with my previous post and I 'm happy to see that you've stayed in Virginia since moving.
    + 1000 I sooooo agree with you. I work in Alexandria and I have a lot of people here at work who moved from liberal shitholes because living there became too difficult due to high taxes and intrusive government and now they are being activists to change VA the same way... We even have characters whoactually live in DC but use work address in VAas a residency to be able to pay lower taxes andvote here rather than there "because DC is not a battleground" Just makes me sick...It's like parasites who destroy the host organism and move onto the next one...

Post imported post

hellfogg wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    Hell, I moved all the way from Russia and I do all I can to protect the traditional Southern values, Freedoms, RKBA, etc andpreserveall the good things here. Too bad that a born and raisedforeigner like myselfsupports these traditional American values, while manynative bornAmericansare on the other side of the fence... thank public schools and liberal media for that...

Post imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    hellfogg wrote:
    Hell, I moved all the way from Russia and I do all I can to protect the traditional Southern values, Freedoms, RKBA, etc andpreserveall the good things here. Too bad that a born and raisedforeigner like myselfsupports these traditional American values, while manynative bornAmericansare on the other side of the fence... thank public schools and liberal media for that...
    We need more like you in this country, Chaingun81. Many here have totally lost the ideal of individual freedom.

Somehow the idea has changed to people having the right to not feel bad about what someone else does. Or the 'freedom' to tell others what to do and not do.

You have a perspective on what these thing truly mean, while too many have strayed from our roots.

Post imported post

guyplusgun wrote:
    Hello,

I am looking for an outdoor rifle range of at least 100 yards (preferably more) somewhat accessible to NOVA. I am willing to drive up to 4 hours one way to get to a good range.

I'm tired of firing at these short indoor ranges. I want to really test my marksmanship in a realistic manner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Hite Hollow is a public range west of Harrisonburg. 100yards +. The Cove is about 75 yards and NO facilities (No Shade, bathrooms, etc.) and a 4x4 vehicle to get to the range is almost a must.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Tomahawk. You know me.. at least to some degree. You should know what I mean by my my "Amen". I don't want to see Virginia turned into New York or some other New England state. Nothing against our friends from up there, but I rather like the traditional Virginia (and Southern) flavor and would hate to see it lost to history. And I am sure I would feel the same if I was a native of Cape Cod and saw a mass influx of people coming there from the South.

Of course, I also know that this migration has and is occurring and will continue to do so. Hope this clears it up a might.

I know what you meant, and I'm okay with that. Everybody likes to keep their local flavor. I don't want Philly to turn into something other than Philly, either (except maybe to get rid of the corruption and other leftist BS).

People move where they do for the money, usually. I came here because of a job.

I had offers from other places, including one in NJ, not far from where I grew up. This may sound wierd to someone who always thinks about career first, but I picked NoVA at least in part because of its more freedom-friendly laws, including gun laws.

I do miss the Philly area sometimes; home is always home, but I have no plans to move back anytime soon. VCDL is toomuch fun, and there's no such thing up there. PA outside of Philly is okay, though.

Back on topic, the only outdoor public range I like to use is actually out by Martinsburg, WV. It's the only one with no d**khead range officers walking around yelling at people, no fees, and few restrictions. I forget the name of it, but it's a long drive. You have to head out early on a Saturday and make a day of it.

The lack of good outdoor rifle ranges is a serious problem.

Post imported post

Proud NOVAn checking in to recommend Clark Brothers. They have limited space, but are free to use (ammo must be purchased there). They also only go up to 100 yards.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

A fairly new option is Range 82. I received an email about an open house a couple of weeks ago.

Post imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
    A fairly new option is Range 82. I received an email about an open house a couple of weeks ago.
    That looks nice, but then I read this. From their website:
    2. All shooters at Range 82 are required to submit to a criminal record check before being approved for membership. This is required for the safety of our members, personnel and the community. Shooters may submit Virginia State Police Form SP-167 (Criminal Record Check) or their state’s equivalent. Forms are available at the Range, or may be obtained from the Virginia State Police website: https://apps.vsp.virginia.gov/ncjis/publicforms.do
    What's up with that? And how does a private club get to do police background checks?

Post imported post

I have been a member of the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter of the Izaac Walton League of America since 1994. This facility is located at the bottom southwest corner of Fairfax County between routes 28 and 66. We have 140 acres which includes a 100 yard handgun/rifle range with 17 covered and tabled stations. You can also shoot shotgun on that range using rifled slug, buck shot, or other shot up to, I think, #4.

There is a trap and skeet section as well, plus an archery section. A stocked fishing pond and camp grounds completes the picture. Oh and club houses: a main club house plus one for each of the ranges.

Membership runs, I think, $135 for an individual per year.

You may want to consider looking into this.

America First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast