• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Outdoor gun range close to NOVA

guyplusgun

imported post

Hello,

I am looking for an outdoor rifle range of at least 100 yards (preferably more) somewhat accessible to NOVA. I am willing to drive up to 4 hours one way to get to a good range.

I'm tired of firing at these short indoor ranges. I want to really test my marksmanship in a realistic manner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

chris in va

imported post

The Cove Campground in Gore VA. Bring a 4x4, it's at the top of a hill and you need clearance (not necessarily 4wd). Call ahead first and make sure they're open. If you get a recording, assume they're closed (even if they say "we're open").

Oh, bring lots of stuff to shoot at. Anything. You'll kick yourself if you just bring paper targets.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You could join one of the Isaac Walton Leagues in the area. You could join the Fairfax Rifle and Pistol club, you could join the Quantico Rifle and Pistol club.

hellfogg

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
Please don't confuse it with the real Virginia. NOVA has been occupied for years now.
Perhaps. But we have a very active resistance movement. No white flag.
Oh definitely, you guys in NOVA have a very active following. My anger towards NOVA is not directed at people like you guys, I'm angry at the people that move down to VA and try to change our politics. I'm glad to see that people like you and other members of this website haven't given up.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

hellfogg wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
Please don't confuse it with the real Virginia. NOVA has been occupied for years now.
Oh definitely, you guys in NOVA have a very active following. My anger towards NOVA is not directed at people like you guys, I'm angry at the people that move down to VA and try to change our politics. I'm glad to see that people like you and other members of this website haven't given up.
Amen to that!

Tomahawk

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
Amen to that!

Really? I moved down to Virginia, and I'm trying to change your (ahem...our) politics.

Hope you're enjoying that pre-emption thingie.

hellfogg

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
Amen to that !

Really? I moved down to Virginia, and I'm trying to change your (ahem...our) politics.

Tomahawk, first off let me say that I dislike both political parties. As far as changing our politics, you have to admit that the Virginia has been gradually moving further to the left recently. Now is this because of people moving from liberal areas from up north or because of fake conservatives that are destroying the Republican party, I don't know. However, politicians like Tim Kaine and Jim Webb were elected with a significant amount of support from NOVA, and also even with this past election with Obama winning Virginia. I don't mind people moving here, but don't move away from up North to escape high taxes and move to Virginia and vote for the exact same type of politicians that want to raise taxes. I meant no disrespect towards you with my previous post and I 'm happy to see that you've stayed in Virginia since moving.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
Amen to that!

Tomahawk. You know me.. at least to some degree. You should know what I mean by my my "Amen". I don't want to see Virginia turned into New York or some other New England state. Nothing against our friends from up there, but I rather like the traditional Virginia (and Southern) flavor and would hate to see it lost to history. And I am sure I would feel the same if I was a native of Cape Cod and saw a mass influx of people coming there from the South.

Of course, I also know that this migration has and is occurring and will continue to do so. Hope this clears it up a might.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Having been born and raised in Alexandria, I grew up telling folks from S. of Richmond that I wasn't really a yankee, I was defending the borders so they could live in peace. I lost that fight and moved away. I see Alexandria as sort of an extended Boston suburb, now.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

May God Bless all of you that can standliving in NOVA. I lived there for a couple years while I was in HS and my dad was stationed in the DC area. I've been back a few times to visit and everyone is in SUCH a hurry!!! I'm glad you folks are there to keep those silly commies inside the beltway incheck!
Y'all just remember where Liberty was WON... Yorktown VA, OCT 19, 1781:D

Chaingun81

imported post

hellfogg wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
Amen to that !

Tomahawk, first off let me say that I dislike both political parties. As far as changing our politics, you have to admit that the Virginia has been gradually moving further to the left recently. Now is this because of people moving from liberal areas from up north or because of fake conservatives that are destroying the Republican party, I don't know. However, politicians like Tim Kaine and Jim Webb were elected with a significant amount of support from NOVA, and also even with this past election with Obama winning Virginia. I don't mind people moving here, but don't move away from up North to escape high taxes and move to Virginia and vote for the exact same type of politicians that want to raise taxes. I meant no disrespect towards you with my previous post and I 'm happy to see that you've stayed in Virginia since moving.
+ 1000 I sooooo agree with you. I work in Alexandria and I have a lot of people here at work who moved from liberal shitholes because living there became too difficult due to high taxes and intrusive government and now they are being activists to change VA the same way... We even have characters whoactually live in DC but use work address in VAas a residency to be able to pay lower taxes andvote here rather than there "because DC is not a battleground" Just makes me sick...It's like parasites who destroy the host organism and move onto the next one...

Chaingun81

imported post

hellfogg wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
Hell, I moved all the way from Russia and I do all I can to protect the traditional Southern values, Freedoms, RKBA, etc andpreserveall the good things here. Too bad that a born and raisedforeigner like myselfsupports these traditional American values, while manynative bornAmericansare on the other side of the fence... thank public schools and liberal media for that...

Glock27Bill

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
hellfogg wrote:
Hell, I moved all the way from Russia and I do all I can to protect the traditional Southern values, Freedoms, RKBA, etc andpreserveall the good things here. Too bad that a born and raisedforeigner like myselfsupports these traditional American values, while manynative bornAmericansare on the other side of the fence... thank public schools and liberal media for that...

We need more like you in this country, Chaingun81. Many here have totally lost the ideal of individual freedom.

Somehow the idea has changed to people having the right to not feel bad about what someone else does. Or the 'freedom' to tell others what to do and not do.

You have a perspective on what these thing truly mean, while too many have strayed from our roots.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

guyplusgun wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for an outdoor rifle range of at least 100 yards (preferably more) somewhat accessible to NOVA. I am willing to drive up to 4 hours one way to get to a good range.

I'm tired of firing at these short indoor ranges. I want to really test my marksmanship in a realistic manner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Hite Hollow is a public range west of Harrisonburg. 100yards +. The Cove is about 75 yards and NO facilities (No Shade, bathrooms, etc.) and a 4x4 vehicle to get to the range is almost a must.