• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Outdoor gun range close to NOVA

Tomahawk

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Tomahawk. You know me.. at least to some degree. You should know what I mean by my my "Amen". I don't want to see Virginia turned into New York or some other New England state. Nothing against our friends from up there, but I rather like the traditional Virginia (and Southern) flavor and would hate to see it lost to history. And I am sure I would feel the same if I was a native of Cape Cod and saw a mass influx of people coming there from the South.

Of course, I also know that this migration has and is occurring and will continue to do so. Hope this clears it up a might.

I know what you meant, and I'm okay with that. Everybody likes to keep their local flavor. I don't want Philly to turn into something other than Philly, either (except maybe to get rid of the corruption and other leftist BS).

People move where they do for the money, usually. I came here because of a job.

I had offers from other places, including one in NJ, not far from where I grew up. This may sound wierd to someone who always thinks about career first, but I picked NoVA at least in part because of its more freedom-friendly laws, including gun laws.

I do miss the Philly area sometimes; home is always home, but I have no plans to move back anytime soon. VCDL is toomuch fun, and there's no such thing up there. PA outside of Philly is okay, though.

Back on topic, the only outdoor public range I like to use is actually out by Martinsburg, WV. It's the only one with no d**khead range officers walking around yelling at people, no fees, and few restrictions. I forget the name of it, but it's a long drive. You have to head out early on a Saturday and make a day of it.

The lack of good outdoor rifle ranges is a serious problem.

ccunning

imported post

Proud NOVAn checking in to recommend Clark Brothers. They have limited space, but are free to use (ammo must be purchased there). They also only go up to 100 yards.

Tomahawk

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
A fairly new option is Range 82. I received an email about an open house a couple of weeks ago.

That looks nice, but then I read this. From their website:
2. All shooters at Range 82 are required to submit to a criminal record check before being approved for membership. This is required for the safety of our members, personnel and the community. Shooters may submit Virginia State Police Form SP-167 (Criminal Record Check) or their state’s equivalent. Forms are available at the Range, or may be obtained from the Virginia State Police website: https://apps.vsp.virginia.gov/ncjis/publicforms.do
What's up with that? And how does a private club get to do police background checks?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have been a member of the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter of the Izaac Walton League of America since 1994. This facility is located at the bottom southwest corner of Fairfax County between routes 28 and 66. We have 140 acres which includes a 100 yard handgun/rifle range with 17 covered and tabled stations. You can also shoot shotgun on that range using rifled slug, buck shot, or other shot up to, I think, #4.

There is a trap and skeet section as well, plus an archery section. A stocked fishing pond and camp grounds completes the picture. Oh and club houses: a main club house plus one for each of the ranges.

Membership runs, I think, $135 for an individual per year.

You may want to consider looking into this.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

We even have characters whoactually live in DC but use work address in VAas a residency to be able to pay lower taxes andvote here rather than there "because DC is not a battleground" Just makes me sick...
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+24.2-1004

Not sure if this would cover an unlawful registration or not...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+24.2-1016

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+24.2-1019

So hopefully, you've already duly reported these scumbags. I have. Stinker was living in DC, but established a VAaddress so he could vote on one of the mark warner tax things. He put it in email.

I did my part, and reported his unlawful beeeeehind.

nemo

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Back on topic, the only outdoor public range I like to use is actually out by Martinsburg, WV. It's the only one with no d**khead range officers walking around yelling at people, no fees, and few restrictions. I forget the name of it, but it's a long drive. You have to head out early on a Saturday and make a day of it.
Tom,

Where in Martinsburg? How to find it? Web site? How to get there? Directions? Name of range? name of contact?

TIA

hunter45

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I have been a member of the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter of the Izaac Walton League of America since 1994. This facility is located at the bottom southwest corner of Fairfax County between routes 28 and 66. We have 140 acres which includes a 100 yard handgun/rifle range with 17 covered and tabled stations. You can also shoot shotgun on that range using rifled slug, buck shot, or other shot up to, I think, #4.

There is a trap and skeet section as well, plus an archery section. A stocked fishing pond and camp grounds completes the picture. Oh and club houses: a main club house plus one for each of the ranges.

Isn't there a waiting list to join though? My Dad was talking about joining a few months ago, but someone told him there was a waiting list that was a few hundred people long.

architect

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
2. All shooters at Range 82 are required to submit to a criminal record check before being approved for membership...https://apps.vsp.virginia.gov/ncjis/publicforms.do
What's up with that? And how does a private club get to do police background checks?
I think they mean you must request the CRC on yourself, and then give it to them.

Frankly, I prefer this new-fangled innocent until proven otherwise thing I've heard rumors about.

DarkHorse

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
coltcarrier wrote:
A fairly new option is Range 82. I received an email about an open house a couple of weeks ago.

2. All shooters at Range 82 are required to submit to a criminal record check before being approved for membership. This is required for the safety of our members, personnel and the community. Shooters may submit Virginia State Police Form SP-167 (Criminal Record Check) or their state’s equivalent. Forms are available at the Range, or may be obtained from the Virginia State Police website: https://apps.vsp.virginia.gov/ncjis/publicforms.do

The application says if you have a ccw, they will waive the need for a background check. I am interested in this place as it is somewhat close to Fredericksburg. $75.00 (a year) for access to a private outdoor range, covered shooting area....etc. Other than the requirement for a background check, I am loving the sound of this place so far.....

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Isn't there a waiting list to join though? My Dad was talking about joining a few months ago, but someone told him there was a waiting list that was a few hundred people long.

Membership caps at 2200, so there very well may bea waiting list.

RedKnightt

imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
coltcarrier wrote:

The application says if you have a ccw, they will waive the need for a background check. I am interested in this place as it is somewhat close to Fredericksburg. $75.00 (a year) for access to a private outdoor range, covered shooting area....etc. Other than the requirement for a background check, I am loving the sound of this place so far.....
You are also required to be a member of the NRA.

1. Due to our NRA affiliation, all members must be NRA members. Application may be obtained from our offices or online at http://www.nra.org.

Tomahawk

imported post

Well, I have a CHP and I am an NRA Life Member, as embarrassing as it is to admit that, so maybe I'll check this place out.

I found that range out in WV:
8. Sleepy Creek WMA

Outdoor range: 200-yard maximum backstop distance with eight covered shooting benches.
Third Hill Mountain Road off county Route 826, one and one-half miles north of county Route 7/13.

A friend of mine who lives in Martinsburg told me how to get to it. I have since found a second way, which is a little easier to get to from the interstate, but I have to drive it to show you since I can't remember it. Hopefully the above is enough to get you googlemapped on target.

DarkHorse

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
DarkHorse wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
coltcarrier wrote:

You are also required to be a member of the NRA.

1. Due to our NRA affiliation, all members must be NRA members. Application may be obtained from our offices or online at http://www.nra.org.

Yup....saw that and forgot about it. Kinda one of those that think everyone should be part of the NRA anyway.....

DarkHorse

imported post

Joined Range 82 last night. Very nice facility. This range will probably not be a good fit for many on this board I assume. It is a requirement that you present a background check from VSP if you intend to join. They do waive this if you have a concealed carry permit. Fee for the year is 75.00. $16.00 per hour on the lane.

Range will be marshalled. Will be limited hours until membership picks up. They are limiting the total membership to 100....until they have a chance to gauge how busy they will be. Theyf antcipate opening up to more members later. Seem to be very concerned about the service they can provide. Do not want members having to wait to use the facility. Also, this will be a "leased" law enforcement training facility. So, they plan to build more ranges in addition to the one already built.

Eventually plan to offer ammo for sale to members there. It was interesting to hear how difficult it was to open the facility. I guess countys tend to shy away from shooting ranges in general.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
Joined Range 82 last night. Very nice facility. This range will probably not be a good fit for many on this board I assume. It is a requirement that you present a background check from VSP if you intend to join. They do waive this if you have a concealed carry permit. Fee for the year is 75.00. $16.00 per hour on the lane.

Range will be marshalled. Will be limited hours until membership picks up. They are limiting the total membership to 100....until they have a chance to gauge how busy they will be. Theyf antcipate opening up to more members later. Seem to be very concerned about the service they can provide. Do not want members having to wait to use the facility. Also, this will be a "leased" law enforcement training facility. So, they plan to build more ranges in addition to the one already built.

Eventually plan to offer ammo for sale to members there. It was interesting to hear how difficult it was to open the facility. I guess countys tend to shy away from shooting ranges in general.

I posted about this range on here many months ago (Sept 08?). Range 82 originally stated they would be closed during the winter months. Has that changed, are they going to be available year round now?

edit for grammar

DarkHorse

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
DarkHorse wrote:

I posted about this range on here many months ago (Sept 08?). Range 82 originally stated they would be closed during the winter months. Has that changed, are they going to be available year round now?

edit for grammar
There was no direct question asked about that, butI was left with the understanding that it would be. I think that weather conditions would be the driving factor. I will see if I can confirm for you. Wait one....

DarkHorse

imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
DarkHorse wrote:

edit for grammar
There was no direct question asked about that, butI was left with the understanding that it would be. I think that weather conditions would be the driving factor. I will see if I can confirm for you. Wait one....

Ok, the response indicated, when we are NOT on daylight savings time (winter) only open to members Saturdays 12pm-6pm. However, they will address the need for members during the week and possibly open up same days during the week.

Obviously this does not apply to any law enforcement training. Also, some of the days allowed to shoot on and hours......are driven by what the county is allowing them to do. example...no shooting allowed on sunday. Apparently the county board was extreamly difficult to deal with in these issues. Apparently they asked to have a skeet range and were told no because of a local regional airport (i guess they were concerned about people shooting down planes?....crazy)

While I am passing on what I was told...I will also metion no full autos, belt feeds are allowed. No .50 BMG. Again, appears driven by county rules.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Well, I have a CHP and I am an NRA Life Member, as embarrassing as it is to admit that, so maybe I'll check this place out.

I found that range out in WV:
8. Sleepy Creek WMA

Outdoor range: 200-yard maximum backstop distance with eight covered shooting benches.
Third Hill Mountain Road off county Route 826, one and one-half miles north of county Route 7/13.

A friend of mine who lives in Martinsburg told me how to get to it. I have since found a second way, which is a little easier to get to from the interstate, but I have to drive it to show you since I can't remember it. Hopefully the above is enough to get you googlemapped on target.
This one piqued my interested. Here is what I found:

In Google maps I found directions starting Herndon, VA to 7/13 and 826/Target Ln.

304-754-3855 Hours: Daily 23,000 acres of wooded mountainous terrain and rolling basin land for the sports person. The area also has a rifle range. Seventy-five camping sites are available...

I'll probably try this site out in the next month. 200yds sounds nice.