• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Channel 4 (WTMJ) 10 oclock news. Interview and open-carry hidden camera

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Not sure what will make the air but we did a before and after interview along with hidden camera while I open carried for 15 minutes in a grocery store and open-carried at a convenience store.

Unfortunately of the 15 minutes spent in the grocery story only the first 2 minutes came out. Camera malfunction.

smithman

imported post

Nice, Nik! Keep up with the media. I have been contacted but due to my day job working for the man, I am not available.

We gotta keep the media talking about this. You can bet that at least two thirds the people in Milwaukee metro area know about OC now due to the extensive press coverage during Tuesday and Wednesday especially. Whether or not they agree with it won't matter, however they are aware. You can also bet that every LEO knows about OC now and if they don't they will subject their department to possible civil rights lawsuits.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I do think the pump is primed right now for this issue. News media tends to have a short attention span and I think we need to get as much positive exposure for open carry as we can while they have an appetite for it. I know from friends and people I've talked to that open carry this week has been "water cooler" talk and I think thats a very good thing.

I also think people really need to overcome fear of open-carrying and do it "now" the general public needs to "see it" and become comfortable with it.

There was a point today when I thought twice about doing this interview and open carrying. There was a fear of "what if". But then I realized that if I didn't have the courage to exercise my constitutional rights, and have confidence that if I ended up with a rogue officer that puts me down at gunpoint, the law was on my side and this would work out.... If I didn't have the courage toopen-carry, Icouldn't look at myself in the mirror and be proud.

I can't live in fear. I refuse to. I refuse to stand and watch freedom erode around us and do nothing. Even before I walked into the store the reported asked me if I "was ok with this" and I knew that if I didn't face the fear of the police and what they may (unlawfully) do, I would never forgive myself.

Now is the time to do what you are lawfully entitled to do. Now is the time to over-come your fear and have faith in your constitution.

in 1785 Thomas Jefferson wrote to his fifteen-year-old nephew, Peter Carr, regarding what he considered the best form of excercise"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body, and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks."

Go take a walk with your gun.

smithman

imported post

Good spot Nik. I appreciate your responsiveness to the news media. We had a line-down at work this week so there was no way I was getting out of the office this week.

People, its time to begin regular OC. Bring a recorder. Know the restrictions. Know how to assert your rights to a police officer. Also, never raise your voice to the officer since LEOs looking for any reason to haul someone in. In any case, with talking to them...."less is more".

I OCed on my errands thursday night. Narry a look from the sheep (they really don't notice when they are distracted looking at store shelves) and no LEO calls.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Smithman, what kind of stores did you carry in? One think I have realized as I planned where to OC yesterday was that 1000 ft (school zone issue) is quite a distance.

I was goign to OC at the Pick-n-save at Hwy 100 and Cleveland, but realized that Nathan Hale high school is RIGHT behind the shopping center. If you just drove up and down Hwy 100 you'd never know a school was so close behind.

I HIGHLY recommend people use Google Earth. Its free, and it has a "ruler" tool where you can set the unit of measure and then draw a line and it measures the distance. Its VERY VERY accurate.

Google earth is free, but you do have to install it on your computer to use the ruler tool.

http://earth.google.com/

Here is a tutorial on the "ruler" tool.

http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug_measuring.html

But plan your trip ahead of time. Its actually very efficient to plan your errands anyway, but when you run your errands, use google earth, (schools are easy to spot from aerial images) and plan out an efficient trip where you can be sure you are school free.

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I was goign to OC at the Pick-n-save at Hwy 100 and Cleveland, but realized that Nathan Hale high school is RIGHT behind the shopping center. If you just drove up and down Hwy 100 you'd never know a school was so close behind.
That Pick n Save has a private parking lot and it is exempt from the school zone restriction. The school zone only affects you if you are on public streetsor public grounds (parks, etc).

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Awesome job Nik! You should be a motivational speaker or something too!I believe Parabellum is right.Under the law I thought private property was exempt from the 1000 feet law even if the property is not yours.

948.605 Gun−free school zones. (1)

(b) “School” has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).

(c) “School zone” means any of the following:

1. In or on the grounds of a school.

2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school.

(2) .POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE.

(a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is guilty of a Class I felony.

(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm:

1. On private property not part of school grounds;

Section 1 states it must be private property, not your own private property.

Ben

smithman

imported post

BJA wrote:
Awesome job Nik! You should be a motivational speaker or something too!I believe Parabellum is right.Under the law I thought private property was exempt from the 1000 feet law even if the property is not yours.

948.605 Gun−free school zones. (1)

(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm:

1. On private property not part of school grounds;
Yes, this is correct. Even if the pick n' save like the one in Waukesha on Sunset is right behind a school, it doesn't matter since it IS private property. The store and parking lot are private as Para mentioned but stay off the sidewalk..that is a grey area and we don't know how that will be interpreted. Just be sure your gun is unloaded encased when you leave the property in your car, since the street is not private property.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Good info guys, I didn't recognize the distinction with the school zone. It makes sense though. I knew if it was "your" property you could. Obviously the picknsave lot is private property.