Thread: Quick trip to California

Post imported post

I'm helping my girl friend transport some stuff from Tucson,AZto Huntington Beach CA. Starting early Saturday A.M., staying at her parents home in H.B.overnight,returning to Tucsonon Sunday.

Naturally, I do not have a California CC. Does anyone know what the Open Carry environment is like in H.B.? Ivery likely won't get a chance to do it, but would like to know the general environment if I do.

I know I can't carry with mag in gun (Taurus PT1911, 8 rd. mags), and must be locked up when in car, school zones, etc, but any other pointers are welcome. Thanks in advance!

State Researcher

Post imported post

PavePusher wrote:
    I know I can't carry with mag in gun (Taurus PT1911, 8 rd. mags), and must be locked up when in car, school zones, etc, but any other pointers are welcome. Thanks in advance!
    Doesn't have to be locked up while in the car... unless you want to conceal it in a carry case, then it has to be a fully-enclosed, secure, locked container. You could transport it in a belt holster or anywhere in plain view. However, you are correct that if within 1,000' of a school then it has to be locked up - no open carry.

Read the links in the previous post. IMO the best alternative right now is "poor man's CCW." There's a lot of particulars involved with that, but basically if you just keep it in a locked case in your car, you should be legal. For more info, head over to www.calguns.net and do a forum search for "locked container carry" and you should find a thread with lots of info.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Thanks for all the fantastic info folks! Turns out I didn't OC, the purpose of the trip really precluded any possible distractions. However, since my girlfriends parents reside there, I will probably have occasion to go back under more favorable circumstances. Yourlinks will certainly be helpful, and lead me towards more reading and research.

On a side note, I have beenkeeping an eye on the Orange County Sherriffs office trials and tribulations. Facsinating stuff going on there. Does anyoneknow howopen carry is viewed by local LE officers and departments? Thanks again, and hopefully nexttrip I might have time to meet up with people in that area.