• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick trip to California

PavePusher

imported post

I'm helping my girl friend transport some stuff from Tucson,AZto Huntington Beach CA. Starting early Saturday A.M., staying at her parents home in H.B.overnight,returning to Tucsonon Sunday.

Naturally, I do not have a California CC. Does anyone know what the Open Carry environment is like in H.B.? Ivery likely won't get a chance to do it, but would like to know the general environment if I do.

I know I can't carry with mag in gun (Taurus PT1911, 8 rd. mags), and must be locked up when in car, school zones, etc, but any other pointers are welcome. Thanks in advance!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
I know I can't carry with mag in gun (Taurus PT1911, 8 rd. mags), and must be locked up when in car, school zones, etc, but any other pointers are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Doesn't have to be locked up while in the car... unless you want to conceal it in a carry case, then it has to be a fully-enclosed, secure, locked container. You could transport it in a belt holster or anywhere in plain view. However, you are correct that if within 1,000' of a school then it has to be locked up - no open carry.

Read the links in the previous post. IMO the best alternative right now is "poor man's CCW." There's a lot of particulars involved with that, but basically if you just keep it in a locked case in your car, you should be legal. For more info, head over to www.calguns.net and do a forum search for "locked container carry" and you should find a thread with lots of info.

PavePusher

imported post

Thanks for all the fantastic info folks! Turns out I didn't OC, the purpose of the trip really precluded any possible distractions. However, since my girlfriends parents reside there, I will probably have occasion to go back under more favorable circumstances. Yourlinks will certainly be helpful, and lead me towards more reading and research.

On a side note, I have beenkeeping an eye on the Orange County Sherriffs office trials and tribulations. Facsinating stuff going on there. Does anyoneknow howopen carry is viewed by local LE officers and departments? Thanks again, and hopefully nexttrip I might have time to meet up with people in that area.