• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City Busses Ban Open Carry?

FunkTrooper

imported post

I was on the bus today OCing and the bus driver and Transit Security guy weren't sure if it was legal saying it is a "city" bus surely it can't be legal. I told them I don't see why it wouldn't as its a "city" bus and that it should comply with Washington law.
Does anyone know the answer as to whether it's legal? I've been searching for a bit but can't seem to find any information on it.

Metalhead47

imported post

I'll chime in here. Don't ask how I know:quirky, but that incident on the CT route 120 in the linked thread led to a official "training memo" going out at Community Transit regarding the legality of firearms on busses and how drivers should handle it. At least in quiet Snohomish county, a person OCing just doesn't happen that often and the whole situation might catch the driver off guard. Or so I've heard:D. Never really been to the Pullman area so I can't comment on procedure there, but "someone who knows" told me the official procedure at CT for the driver if someone wants to bring an open carried firearm on the bus, whether pistol or longgun, the driver does need to call in for a transit deputy to inspect the weapon & verify that it's not loaded, since the driver has no authority to ask for the person's CPL to see if they can legally carry loaded on a vehicle.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
I'll chime in here. Don't ask how I know:quirky, but that incident on the CT route 120 in the linked thread led to a official "training memo" going out at Community Transit regarding the legality of firearms on busses and how drivers should handle it. At least in quiet Snohomish county, a person OCing just doesn't happen that often and the whole situation might catch the driver off guard. Or so I've heard:D. Never really been to the Pullman area so I can't comment on procedure there, but "someone who knows" told me the official procedure at CT for the driver if someone wants to bring an open carried firearm on the bus, whether pistol or longgun, the driver does need to call in for a transit deputy to inspect the weapon & verify that it's not loaded, since the driver has no authority to ask for the person's CPL to see if they can legally carry loaded on a vehicle.
Now that is interesting. And screwed up. A deputy to inspect an open carried handgun to make sure it isn't loaded? Or anything? I know for a fact that they aren't implementing this policy as I've boarded a CT bus within the last couple of weeks OCing my wheelgun with a 6" barrel.

Seems to me that CT is almost on the right track, but still derailed it. I best do some letter writing as I OC and transport long arms on that system on occasion when I'm up there...

Vandal

imported post

FunkTrooper, the only thing I could see being an issue is when the Pullman Transit busses are on campus, because then technically you would be carrying a gun on campus which is a no-no for the Cougs.

Don't pay much attention to the Rent-a-cops on the pullman busses. The ones I have seen are from the WSUPD internship program. They won't know the laws unless you are asking them questions about drinking or driving on campus.

In the end, yes, you can OC in the PT bus, the grey area is on campus. They are a city owned or funded entity, thus they are pre-empted from making thier own weapons regulations.

ETA, when I get back up from Boise, I'll come ride with ya. Do it late at night with the drunks :shock:

FunkTrooper

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
And, of course, don't forget the astounding, amazing FAQ Question # 7!!!: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/15411.html

Now in regurgitated banana flavor! :celebrate
My bad sorry I forgot that it was in the FAQ I'll be more careful before posting next time.

To vandal on the campus "grey" area. It's actually not, UPD confirmed that you are allowed to carry in a vehicle passing through campus or even wait at a stop for a connection.

joeroket

imported post

Vandal wrote:
FunkTrooper, the only thing I could see being an issue is when the Pullman Transit busses are on campus, because then technically you would be carrying a gun on campus which is a no-no for the Cougs.

That would not matter. You are not considered on campus until you step off the bus.

Metalhead47

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote
Now that is interesting. And screwed up. A deputy to inspect an open carried handgun to make sure it isn't loaded? Or anything? I know for a fact that they aren't implementing this policy as I've boarded a CT bus within the last couple of weeks OCing my wheelgun with a 6" barrel.

Seems to me that CT is almost on the right track, but still derailed it. I best do some letter writing as I OC and transport long arms on that system on occasion when I'm up there...
Yes, that last part describes CT on a great many things unfortunately:quirky. These bulletins come out every couple of weeks and are "required" reading for drivers, doesn't mean everyone actually reads them. It's also company policy to stop & call for a sup. any time someone falls or gets a boo-boo on the bus. As you probably know, that don't always happen either. It's probably more a case of CT's ignorance of the subject and innate fear of litigation than any intention to be buttheads, but I would encourage you to call, write, email, and generally annoy the :cuss: out of them to get your point across. Remember, it's a government bureaucracy. Change comes slow:D