• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC report from Kent

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Hello all, just another non-eventful OC last night with my wife and one of my sons. After work we met up at home and went out to Covington Walmart, Kimber 1911 on my right hip, backup mag on left hip. Walked right in and followed my wife around for a while while she browsed the ladies clothing section. We were specifically there to look at tennis rackets, so we made it over to the sporting goods area and I hit up the ammo counter first. There were 3 or 4 other people standing around the counter and the employee helping one of them. Let me tell you, the ammo shelves there looked like a post-apocalyptic wasteland... Well, not exactly, but it was true for the .223 and the .45 ammo I wanted. (Skunked again) My wife did notice one woman give me a nasty stink-eye as we passed another aisle, but I didn't see it. No luck on the tennis rackets, we left and went over to the Payless Shoes near there so my darling wife and son could get shoes. Several people in there, no comments or "looks" that we were aware of. After shoe shopping, went across the street to Carl's Jr for dinner. Employees were great, no mention, and several customers in there saw my sidearm but no one freaked-out or gave any negative feedback. Wow, almost done, last stop at Target in Kent (east hill). About 9:15 by now, no encounters the whole time, did get those tennis rackets here. :celebrate So, a few hours out among the population, and nothing bad to report, no police called, no nasty store managers, no frightened patrons, no zombies... We'll go to Reber Ranch later today and see what happens. I expect, nothing, since I've been there many times OC'ing with no problems.

Sorry if this post is long for a non-eventful OC post, I just think it is encouraging for those of us who read these boards and have not OC'd yet or are very new at it and need to see what it is usually like to OC. I hope this helps you guys out there. I'd like to meet up with anyone around the Kent, Covington, Auburn area sometime to get to know anyone around me that OC's. I met a bunch of the guys last year at Jarhead's BBQ in Tacoma. Interested, PM me... :)

just_a_car

imported post

Love it!

I really like reading about others' uneventful OC days. I have mine all the time and forget to write about them, but I know that when I started OC'ing, reading about others' OC'ing really helped build my confidence, along with chatting with folks at the regular lunch/dinner meetings.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Yes sir, that is my intent. The first time I OC'd was on my own (not with any other people OC'ing). The posts here about successful OC'ing encouraged me to just "Sac-up" and do it. It gets easier every time.

Update... My wife and I got our tennis rackets and took the kids to the high school yesterday afternoon to play. Been years since I'd played. We all had fun and I was whooped. Slept REAL good last night. After playing we went to Fred Meyer on Kent east hill, but I couldn't carry in the store 'cause i had no belt on to hold up my Kimber. Just had on my jogging pants for playing tennis. I felt really naked not having my gun on. I think I was scanning my surroundings even more than usual just because I wasn't armed.

FunkTrooper

imported post

I always feel naked when I go onto campus and can't bring my pistol with me. Always good to hear about uneventful OCing, it happens to me all the time which seems surprising for a college town.

DEROS72

imported post

Also have had relativley uneventful days in Walmart except in Puyallup .Never the less thay have had some kick a$$ prices on ammo lately.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
Spyder I'm surprised I haven't run into you yet. I live right between the Fred Meyer and Target and it seems like I'm at one or the every most every day.
Yeah, I live a little way further north on the Benson from Fred Meyer, but my family does most of our shopping there. I keep an eye out for you, remembering hearing from you a while ago that you shop there. My wife actually works for Kent School Dist. Transportation, you probably know that the bus barn is just behind Red Robin and Kent East Hill Tires.

jinj

imported post

I think Covington has a lot of surrounding rural residents that go shopping there, I think we're a different type of people. :)

I see guys in the Home Depot quite a bit there, maybe it was you.
Just got my CPL, what a pain to go all the way to Seattle, get ripped off in parking fees, I'm sure they do that on purpose. The Sheriff's office should be in the county, not the city.