• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

news video of open carry in Berlin, WI - as in other states, uneventful

Statesman

imported post

I wonder why such a large man chose a 38 special to OC? Also, what are the implications of loading your gun from the back of the car, in the open?

Since he is a member, maybe he will answer?

I think he did a great job promoting OC. Thank you!

Statesman

imported post

P.I. Guy wrote:
I know Waukesha PD were stopping people who were armed Friday evening. As far as I know, no arrests were made.
I thought they were taking them down to the ground, and then determining if they had any rights?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Statesman wrote:
P.I. Guy wrote:
I know Waukesha PD were stopping people who were armed Friday evening. As far as I know, no arrests were made.
I thought they were taking them down to the ground, and then determining if they had any rights?
It's nice to see that, even tho they are crossing the line, they aren't going as far as Comrade Flynn would like.

I think it's because they like their jobs...

P.I. Guy

imported post

I'm am supprised Waukesha did not arrest anyone. Usally they arrest everyone for anything they can. We'll see what happens in the near future.

ScottM

imported post

It is illegal to carry while driving so in WI you have to unload and case your firearm before getting into the drivers seat and reload when you get to your destination. One of WI many goofy gun laws.

ScottM

imported post

P.I. Guy wrote:
I'm am supprised Waukesha did not arrest anyone. Usally they arrest everyone for anything they can. We'll see what happens in the near future.
It's probably because it's legal and a civil right.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

P.I. Guy wrote:
Crap, he's spread to another thread... Stupidity IS contagious...

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Statesman wrote:
I wonder why such a large man chose a 38 special to OC? Also, what are the implications of loading your gun from the back of the car, in the open?

I like the airweight for OC. Its small and doesn't get in the way, and its light so it doesn't drag my pants down. So thats what I chose for the story. I do have 2 hips, so I guess I could always go heeled on both sides. ;)

My other handguns are a S&W 500 Magnum, don't want to OC that. Glock 23, its not as comfy to OC for me (maybe if I got a better holster for it)

So I OC the 38 spcl most of the time. Plus my girlfriend thinks its "cute"
Good story. I like the guy's words, "This is America, this is not a police state."
I was glad that made the cut into the piece. During the pre and post carry interview they took about 30 minutes of video of question/answer. So you never know what soundbytes are going to make the on-air story. Of course immediately after they leave you start to play back in your mind EVERYTHING you said and pray that they don't edit in such a way to take anything out of context. I thought they did a fair job.

There were a few really on-point comments I made to a few of her questions (questions that a typical person with little or NO gun experience would ask.) that I wish they had included. Really addressed some of the "gun myths", but they didnt' make the cut.
It's nice to see that, even tho they are crossing the line, they aren't going as far as Comrade Flynn would like.

Ed Flynn is the Milwaukee Police Chief. I OC'd in New Berlin, a Suburb of Milwaukee.

When I OC in milwaukee I'm wearing old clothes and knee pads because I fully expect to be ordered down at gunpoint.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Statesman wrote:

I like the airweight for OC. Its small and doesn't get in the way, and its light so it doesn't drag my pants down. So thats what I chose for the story. I do have 2 hips, so I guess I could always go heeled on both sides. ;)

My other handguns are a S&W 500 Magnum, don't want to OC that. Glock 23, its not as comfy to OC for me (maybe if I got a better holster for it)

So I OC the 38 spcl most of the time. Plus my girlfriend thinks its "cute"
Good story. I like the guy's words, "This is America, this is not a police state."
I was glad that made the cut into the piece. During the pre and post carry interview they took about 30 minutes of video of question/answer. So you never know what soundbytes are going to make the on-air story. Of course immediately after they leave you start to play back in your mind EVERYTHING you said and pray that they don't edit in such a way to take anything out of context. I thought they did a fair job.

There were a few really on-point comments I made to a few of her questions (questions that a typical person with little or NO gun experience would ask. ) that I wish they had included. Really addressed some of the "gun myths", but they didnt' make the cut.

Ed Flynn is the Milwaukee Police Chief. I OC'd in New Berlin, a Suburb of Milwaukee.

When I OC in milwaukee I'm wearing old clothes and knee pads because I fully expect to be ordered down at gunpoint.
Excellent, you got a couch?

patriotguy

imported post

Hugh,
Great job on the interview. As we are both in New Berlin, you may be interested to know that I emailed the mayor about OC. Email is as follows:

Mayor Chiovatero,

In light of Attorney General Van Hollen's memo stating the legality of openly carrying a (holstered) firearm, what is the direction you are giving to the New Berlin PD? If this is a question for the NBPD chief, please let me know.

Thank you for your time,

New Berlin, WI

His Reply:

Tom,

I just recently discussed this with the Police Chief. It will be business as usual in New Berlin, if they encounter and (sic) open carry, that person will be stopped and questioned. He does not like the ruling at this time.

Jack F. Chiovatero
Mayor
City Of New Berlin
262-797-2441

For now, I guess I can handle "person will be stopped and questioned". At least he didn't use "taken down and gun taken away". I am curious about the comment "He does not like the ruling at this time". Ruling? I thought it was a memo to clarify existing law.

As an aside, I went to the NBPD last year about this time to get fingerprinted for my application for a Florida CCW license, which I now have. NBPD was quite surprised that I could do that, and during polite conversation, asked why I would want a Florida CCW license knowing that I couldn't use it in Wisconsin. My reply was simply, "I travel a lot, and many states respect the 2nd amendment".

Regards,
****** (WI Patriot)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

WI Patriot wrote:
Tom,

I just recently discussed this with the Police Chief. It will be business as usual in New Berlin, if they encounter and (sic) open carry, that person will be stopped and questioned. He does not like the ruling at this time.

Jack F. Chiovatero
Mayor
City Of New Berlin
262-797-2441
But, 'stopping" someone for merely OCing is unlawful itself. I wonder if the Mayor got somthing lost in the translation?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

WI Patriot wrote:
His Reply:

Tom,

Jack F. Chiovatero
Mayor
City Of New Berlin
262-797-2441

His reply concerns me to a point that I would take it upon myself to clarify that it was not "A Ruling" but instead a memo to law enforcement that open carry is a legal and protected act and that an individual should not be charged with disorderly conduct for exercising his constitutional rights.

I would also make him aware that Open Carry has been a legal portected act for over 2 decades. And this memo did nothing to change any laws. And I would maybe also bring upthe current federal lawsuit against Chilton and West Milwaukee so he understands that the NBPD may be putting themsleves at risk for a similar lawsuit by a person exercising his rights that is stopped and questioned without reasonable suspicion that a crime was or is goingto be commited by this individual.

A citizen also has the right to break off any involuntary contact from the police beyond what is considered a legal "terry Stop" and they are also not obligated to produce any identification or be disarmed during this stop.

spiritof76

imported post

Mike wrote:
WI Patriot wrote:
Tom,

Jack F. Chiovatero
Mayor
City Of New Berlin
262-797-2441
But, 'stopping" someone for merely OCing is unlawful itself. I wonder if the Mayor got somthing lost in the translation?
Right, without reasonable suspicion that a law has been broken, the police are breaking the law by stopping someone for engaging in a lawful activity, and the mayor is implicitly condoning it.

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where the "civil servants" who "represent us" would actually THEMSELVES OBEY THE LAW? I know, I'm a dreamer.

patriotguy

imported post

Spiritof76,

You and Mike are correct about any LEO stopping and questioning someone merely for OCing.

I will, however, give credit to New Berlin for not jumping on the knee-jerk bandwagon to enact senseless ordinances. Both myself and Nik (Hugh Jarmis) can testify to the fact that we (Nik more than I) have OC'd with no issues in New Berlin and surrounding communities.

My guess is that the mayor's "stop and question" comment, being made days after the AG memo, was due to local communities having no idea of how to handle OC yet.

With the exception of Reilly in Milwaukee (Grand Avenue Mall), I don't know of anyone really being confronted by any LEO for OC. We, however, kind of expect that in Milwaukee.

I plan to OC today or tomorrow in Franklin and West Allis. I don't expect any issues.

Regards.