• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Converted an Anti-Gunner

PMartin

imported post

I am posting this for entertainment (I think its funny anyhow) and as an example of how you may try to deal with your local anti gun nut.

So..I live in the Willamette Valley, Oregon. If you know this area, you are aware that you walk around neck deep in real hippies, yuppy hippies and flaming liberals in general.
There is this Quarterly Publication that randomly appears all over the place (my doorstep) called Willamette Quarterly? (Not sure as its been 6 years or so since this happened)
Anyhow, I read it in order to know the enemy and to get laughs. This one issue had a half the magazine taken up by a huge multi-page diatribe about the evils of guns. It had all the classical non-sensical liberal reasons.

Fast forward a week or two :

I am at working having my daily discussion with my flaming liberal buddy and I brought up this article as an example of the baseless and just pure emotional, makes me feel good, rants that liberals use. And of course what an idiot this author is "Probably never shot a gun in his life!" I said. Turns our his wife was the author :)

Next day he comes to work and says his wife would like me to come over for dinner and bring gun for her to shoot so that she would be educated. Wow, wasn't I shocked :shock:

Of course I went, but I wasn't going to pussy foot around and take a single shot .22. I took the most "evil" gun I had, an SKS with a 1000 rounds of Ammo.

I'll skip forward to the point, a month later:
1) She no longer writes for this magazine.
2) She now has an SKS at a nice discount, sold it to her cheap for the cause...think $70 bucks.
3) Has a concealed carry permit and packs heat in her purse
4) spends every weekends at the range or trying to find cases of SKS ammo.

And mind you, I didn't even lecture or really educate her. I just showed her how to shoot it safely and let her go to town and this all happened in a month :)

I should get someone to write this into a nice article and send it to that rag I reffered to earlier and see if they would publish it :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PMartin wrote:
snip.....
I should get someone to write this into a nice article and send it to that rag I reffered to earlier and see if they would publish it :)
Sounds like someone volunteering to me. :)

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
PMartin wrote:
snip.....
Sounds like someone volunteering to me. :)

Yata hey
The story may have already been written and submitted, by the former writer for the rag. That may be another reason why she no longer writes for them.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

PMartin wrote:
2) She now has an SKS at a nice discount, sold it to her cheap for the cause...think $70 bucks.
I hate guns too, but Iguarantee if you sell me an SKS (orten)for $70 I'll love them. Come on, help the cause out. :p

Nice going though. I've never taken anyone to the range that didn't end up liking it (regardless of their previous thoughts). But big thumbs up to his wife for having an open enough mind to give it a try.

Riana

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
But big thumbs up to his wife for having an open enough mind to give it a try.
Absolutely! We took one of my husband's co-workers to the range, and he's not really anti-gun (don't think he really was, actually), but he did give it a good faith try, and decided it's not for him. At least he tried it. :cool:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Riana wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Absolutely! We took one of my husband's co-workers to the range, and he's not really anti-gun (don't think he really was, actually), but he did give it a good faith try, and decided it's not for him. At least he tried it. :cool:
I don't think anyone here is under any dellusion that guns are for everyone. After all, they are loud and some of them can lieve a nice bruise if your not careful. All we ask is that folks experience the use of firearms and see how those of us that do keep and bear arms are responsible with them.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Riana wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
I don't think anyone here is under any dellusion that guns are for everyone. After all, they are loud and some of them can lieve a nice bruise if your not careful. All we ask is that folks experience the use of firearms and see how those of us that do keep and bear arms are responsible with them.

Definitely. I've found that shooting is like golf, in that aspect. Nearly everyone that hasn't tried it talks @#$% about it for one reason or another. When you actually take the @#$% talkers out, 90% of them end up loving it, and the other 10% at least develop a respect for it.

AZkopper

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

Exactly!

the 2nd Amendment is not a requirement to own a weapon. It acknowledges a God-given Right to defend yourself and your way of life.

I have no problem with someone who says "guns are not my thing" as long as they do not expect that their view should be the law. I may personally think that they are delusional in respect to their safety, but I will respect their VIEW as long as they respect my RIGHTS.