• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman shoots man after they got off Metro bus in downtown Seattle

44Brent

imported post

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009122120_webmanshot25m.html

By Dominic Gates

Seattle Times staff reporter

After an argument on a number 27 bus in downtown Seattle, a woman pulled a gun and seriously wounded a man at the corner of Third and Seneca about 12:20 p.m. today.

King County sheriff Transit Police Sgt. Bill Hurley said he believed the man got on the bus without paying a fare and was behaving strangely, "acting a little crazy, mumbling" to himself.

The woman said something critical of his behavior and an argument ensued, fellow passengers told police.

When the woman got off at Third and Seneca, the man at the last moment followed other passengers out at the last minute and rushed toward the woman, Hurley said. She pulled out a gun and shot him.

"I don't know if she'll plead self-defense," said Hurley.

The man was treated on the scene by Seattle Fire Department medical personnel then taken to Harborview Medical Center where he was in surgery this afternoon. Hurley said the man's injuries are "life-threatening."

Seattle Police Department spokeswoman Renee Witt said the woman, who is in her 30s, claimed that the man spat at her.

"She pulled her gun out and shot him once in the chest," she said. Witt did not know if the gun used is a legally-held weapon.

Other passengers disembarking from the bus were on the sidewalk when the shooting happened. Many of them also witnessed the altercation on the bus, Witt said. She said the woman and man did not know each other.

"It seems he instigated" the argument, Witt said.

She said the woman is being interviewed by Seattle Police and may be booked later for investigation of assault.

The driver of the bus declined to talk to a reporter, telling another Metro official: "I'm shaken up."

Sgt. Hurley, who was supervising the scene an hour after the shooting, gave his account based on what he'd heard from his officers and from Metro staff at the scene.

He said Transit Police are routinely called out by Metro drivers with unruly passengers.

"It happens quite a lot," said Hurley. "We get called to deal with these people and get them off the bus."

In this case, he said, the driver had noticed the man acting strangely, but "there was nothing unusual enough for the driver to call us."

The No. 27 bus route runs from Lake Washington near the I-90 bridge to downtown Seattle.

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

Vandal

imported post

Not to judge too quickly, but this just sounds like a bad shoot. Is there anymore info on the shooting?

I remember a lot of crazy folks on the Seattle busses and in Seattle in general, but none that I found threatening enough to shoot.

Update: I am bored so I looked into this. From the Seattle PD press release the female suspect had been antagonized by the male victim and they had been arguing back and forth on the bus. The female got off at 3rd and Seneca and the male followed. They continued to argue, he spat on her and the suspect then pulled out a pistol of some type and put one in the victims chest. The female suspect was arrested on the scene and booked for investigation for assault.

Really, she shot a guy for spitting on her? I don't know all the details and more will come out but that is not a reason to put one COM. I am interested to see if she has a CPL.

Weave

imported post

If she has a CPL Im sure Mayor McCheese wiil use this incident to further his anti-gun zealotry.....

Vandal

imported post

Weave wrote:
If she has a CPL Im sure Mayor McCheese wiil use this incident to further his anti-gun zealotry.....

I am betting good money that the Mayor and Police Chief will launch their own spin on this to try to give further credibility to the illegal ban they want.

Misguided Child

imported post

I think you are awfully premature in your judgement Vandal. The man clearly had the Opportunity to do harm. The Ability we don't have enough facts to judge but it is not unreasonable to assume he had enough strength and size to cause grave harm to a woman. Which leaves us with Jeopardy, was he behaving in a manner thatwould make a reasonable manthink he intended to do grave harm? Again, sketchy facts but jumping off a bus and going after her, after arguing on the bus, makes me think that was possible. I'd vote on her side.

sirpuma

imported post

My wife has ridden many of the buses down town and is well aware of the number and level of crazies that get on the buses. It's very likely that she felt truly threatened and was defending herself. My wife was once groped on a bus by some crazy, a guy who was later arrested for sexual assault on the very same bus number a week later. Don't discount her just yet. Seattle PD will happily arrest anyone defending themselves. :banghead:

Vandal

imported post

Misguided, the question is did any of the victim's action cause a reasonable fear for the suspect's life?

I am going to stand with what I said. If I shot everyone who ever spit at me, argued with me or lunged at me, my 45 would have quite a few kills. The man's actions weren't even enough to get the driver to call it in. Of course the shooter is female so this case will be handled with the kiddie gloves on as per the judicial system standard.

Misguided Child

imported post

Vandal, the driver didn't call it infor the actionson the bus. But we don't have the whole story there. Maybe the driver knows the guy as a regular passenger whotends to be violent and the driver is afraid of him.

Off the back door of the bus it looks like something very different happened. We don't have the full story there either. But if you consider the Doctrine of Disparate Force, you will see where she could be justified to shoot where you and I would not be.

I've never heard of a policy that says women will be treated with kid gloves. That's a strange statement.

Vandal

imported post

It's not a written policy but it happens through out the Justice System. if it were you or I, we would have been taken down hard at gunpoint and arrested on the spot for attempted murder and guilty in the news and on here until we could present a case and get convicted.

I just got done with a paper and presentation for my American Corrections course that went into detail the differences in charges, sentencing and treatment of females as compared to males in the justice system. Females are often given much more leeway with their actions and the punishments that accompany them than males are. Look up prison sentence numbers for males and females for the same crime through the DOJ's Bureau of Justice Statistics and they will surprise you. Lady Justice is not blind, she is gender biased. Thus my treated with kid gloves comments.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

I was thereless than a minute after it happened. I was the third bus in line at 3rd and Seneca. I saw the guy laying there in the street. There were no police/fire there yet. Coincidentally, there was a plain-clothes guy there (don't know if he got off thier bus or was standing on the corner) and he took her down and cuffed her. I talked to the driver of the 27 and he said they were arguing on his bus, got off at Seneca and she shot him. I had to back my bus up a block to deteur around the scene.

I've read online that she had some kids with her and also had a CDL.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Vandal wrote:
Update: I am bored so I looked into this. From the Seattle PD press release the female suspect had been antagonized by the male victim and they had been arguing back and forth on the bus. The female got off at 3rd and Seneca and the male followed. They continued to argue, he spat on her and the suspect then pulled out a pistol of some type and put one in the victims chest. The female suspect was arrested on the scene and booked for investigation for assault.

Really, she shot a guy for spitting on her? I don't know all the details and more will come out but that is not a reason to put one COM. I am interested to see if she has a CPL.
My roommate and I were saying that it probably won't be an anti-gun case more likely a pro woman one. This is a clear cut case of "girl power".

ChuckUFarley

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Vandal wrote
My roommate and I were saying that it probably won't be an anti-gun case more likely a pro woman one. This is a clear cut case of "girl power".
"Girl Power"more like crazy bitch power, who the hell shoots someone for arguing and spitting on them.

Now pistol wipping, thats a diffrent story.

Metalhead47

imported post

OK maybe this gal didn't do everything she should have to diffuse the situation. However, if she's a small, slightly build woman and he's a great big mountain of a man (I don't know, havn't seen pix of either) who charges her as the police sgt said, she's probably justified in popping him one. That's the other thing, she popped him once, didn't empty the gun into his chest. That seems like an act of defense to me, not a "you spat one me now ima bust a cap" type act. Remember that case a couple months ago where that poor guy in West Seattle was punched once by his assailants, fell back & died from it? If this guy did charge the woman in question and there's a big enough size difference he could have killed/gravely injured her with a single punch. As others have said, we don't have all the facts.

Plus I tend to sympathize with a woman who both stands up for herself and reduces the number of unruly bus riders in the area by 1:lol:

44Brent

imported post

What was in the saliva? AIDS virus? TB? Bird flu? Rabies?

Isn't spitting sometimes considered to be attempted murder in some states if a person knows themself to be a carrier of a deadly disease?

Metalhead47

imported post

44Brent wrote:

Isn't spitting sometimes considered to be attempted murder in some states if a person knows themself to be a carrier of a deadly disease?
Even worse. Responsible-gun-carrying-citizen disease. Can't have that spreading around Seattle, can we?:what:

PT111

imported post

44Brent wrote:

Wasn't a man charged with attempted murder for having spit on policemen knowing that he had aids and trying to give it to them? I seem to remember something on that.

joeroket

imported post

PT111 wrote:
44Brent wrote:
What was in the saliva?  AIDS virus? TB? Bird flu? Rabies?

Wasn't a man charged with attempted murder for having spit on policemen knowing that he had aids and trying to give it to them?  I seem to remember something on that.

First off the virus is HIV not Aids. Secondly Neither HIV nor TB is spread through saliva.

Being spit on is hardly grounds for use of deadly force.