• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman shoots man after they got off Metro bus in downtown Seattle

just_a_car

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Being spit on is hardly grounds for use of deadly force.
Unless it was Swine flu, then holy sh$% its A$$ whooping time. Pull out the AK 47 and kill every mf in the room, or just go eat some bacon; either way.
ROFL.

Chuck, I know it was sarcasm and that was hilarious, but you really should put a ":p" in that post to try to convey the silliness of the comment.

Metalhead47

imported post

Woman with a CPL POV-

Until I hear more facts, that may change my mind, I 100% applaud this woman for defending herself the way she did. Unfortunately you usually only have a second or two to decide kill or be killed. Not only did she have the balls to carry a gun, but she had the balls to pull the trigger when the time came. After being spit on, I'm glad she didn't just lay down at take what could have been coming next. I feel that they way she handled the situation is a textbook example of self defense with self control. (by first trying to step away from the situation by disembarking the bus and then only pulling the trigger once after being assaulted)

And if there is truth to the rumor that she had kids with her, dude they guy had it coming. You just don't go messing with mama bear.

-Metalhead47's Wife

ChuckUFarley

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
ChuckUFarley wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Unless it was Swine flu, then holy sh$% its A$$ whooping time. Pull out the AK 47 and kill every mf in the room, or just go eat some bacon; either way.
ROFL.

Chuck, I know it was sarcasm and that was hilarious, but you really should put a ":p" in that post to try to convey the silliness of the comment.
funny face noted

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Indeed this could be a case of disseperate force. Ayoob writes about this in the book "In the Gravest Extreme". Still lots of unknowns, and I'm wondering about the argument. That may or may not help things.

PT111

imported post

joeroket wrote:
PT111 wrote:
44Brent wrote:
What was in the saliva? AIDS virus? TB? Bird flu? Rabies?

Isn't spitting sometimes considered to be attempted murder in some states if a person knows themself to be a carrier of a deadly disease?
Wasn't a man charged with attempted murder for having spit on policemen knowing that he had aids and trying to give it to them? I seem to remember something on that.

First off the virus is HIV not Aids. Secondly Neither HIV nor TB is spread through saliva.

I am not a HIV, AIDS or TB expert and I didn't sleep at a HI Express last night. I just remember a man being charged with trying to kill LEO by spitting on them. The charges may have been dropped after your expert testimony but I didn't get involved, just read about it.

3/325

imported post

She left the bus and HE chose to pursue HER. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that the spitting was a prelude to something more violent.

Good shoot (pending more info, as usual).

Pagan

imported post

Many serious infectious diseases are transmitted from saliva, HIV is present in saliva and TB and more recently swine flu.

When I bought my house 11 years ago, I like everyone else needed to get home/mortgage insurance before we could get the loan. Part of that process was being checked for things like smoking and drug use and HIV, ALL of those test were done by mouth swabs, SALIVA, they were sent to a lab and only after those test came back negative did we get the insurance and thus the loan.

She had children with her, the dude showed agressive intent and had the ability and she could not just escape by running away especially while carrying children, sounds like she should have dump the mag in his a$$, my wife and my kids in the same situation, I would expect a dead MF on the ground.

Ability+manifest+opportunity+preclusion=use of lethal force, in VA. anyhow. Hope she walks if the this is the case.

compmanio365

imported post

3/325 wrote:
She left the bus and HE chose to pursue HER. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that the spitting was a prelude to something more violent.

Good shoot (pending more info, as usual).
Very good point. She had all the elements of self defense, she even attempted to leave the situation by getting off the bus, and as always, I bet we'll find there is more to the story as time goes on. If he was being aggressive and didn't cease to advance on her after she drew her gun, then she had every right to believe that he was intent on deadly force against her. As all of us would do, she responded in kind. Assuming things are as they are spelled out here.

Manu

imported post

Woman who shot bus rider had gun permit, police say
Police say a woman accused of shooting a man Saturday in downtown Seattle after arguing with him on a bus had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

By Seattle Times staff

Related

Police say a woman accused of shooting a man Saturday in downtown Seattle after arguing with him on a bus had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

The woman, who was booked into jail on suspicion of assault, allegedly told police she had just exited a Route 27 Metro Transit bus at Third Avenue and Seneca Street when he called her a vulgar name and lunged at her. She then shot him in the upper-right chest, Seattle police said. She also said he spat at her, police say.

He was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he underwent surgery. An update on his condition was not available Sunday

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Well there is still more details we are not getting here. If she can reasonably articulate fear for her safety, she was justified.

Dangit, why do I have the sneaking suspicion I'm going to be in for a world of grief next time I go to Seattle and OC on a bus?

FunkTrooper

imported post

Well If he lunged at her than that makes since that she dropped him. I'm not one to make a final judgment until I have all the facts.

To previous posters, you can transmit HIV from spit especially if their is blood in your saliva.

tacmedic911

imported post

From what I've read this seems to be a good shoot +5 for her to fend off a would be jacka$$
As for the HIV in the saliva, you would need to drink about a bucket full of infected spit and even then you still have a better chance of being hit by a car statisically speaking. :uhoh:

joeroket

imported post

tacmedic911 wrote:
As for the HIV in the saliva, you would need to drink about a bucket full of infected spit and even then you still have a better chance of being hit by a car statisically speaking. :uhoh:

Thank you for reiterating what I have said. :)

I hope the prosecutor takes into account the mental stability of this person. It sounds like he is a known regular with a mental disorder. These are the most dangerous people you will ever meet in your life.

Pagan

imported post

I know that whenI was in armed security school last month, we watch a video on ways to spot unstable people and or signs of a violent reaction or an imminent attack, and some of those included, grinding of teeth, salivating, spitting, twitching of the mouth and or facial muscles amongst others. But these were in addition to other signs, not any of those by themselves.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

Pagan wrote:
I know that whenI was in armed security school last month, we watch a video on ways to spot unstable people and or signs of a violent reaction or an imminent attack, and some of those included, grinding of teeth, salivating, spitting, twitching of the mouth and or facial muscles amongst others. But these were in addition to other signs, not any of those by themselves.

Hell i do this all the time, not necissarily spitting on someone but ido spit, i even talk to myself sometimes. The only justification she had was he lunged at her (mayb e the spitting but thats streaching it), other then that i dont give a damn if he was speaking in tounges, just because people are weird dosent give anyone a right to assume they could have don this or that, thats what are friggin goverments doing to people, we dont need citizens doing it as well.

Pretty soon it will be like minority report, oh this guy could have done it so we shot em but we were justified because he grinded his teeth, which of course we all no means he is about to attack people wearing red hats. I can see it now cop tazes you, sees a little bit of spittle come out of your mouth, claims its attempted murder, shoots you in the back.

joeroket

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
Hell i do this all the time, not necissarily spitting on someone but i do spit, i even talk to myself sometimes. The only justification she had was he lunged at her (mayb e the spitting but thats streaching it), other then that i dont give a damn if he was speaking in tounges, just because people are weird dosent give anyone a right to assume they could have don this or that, thats what are friggin goverments doing to people, we dont need citizens doing it as well.

Pretty soon it will be like minority report, oh this guy could have done it so we shot em but we were justified because he grinded his teeth, which of course we all no means he is about to attack people wearing red hats. I can see it now cop tazes you, sees a little bit of spittle come out of your mouth, claims its attempted murder, shoots you in the back.

That's a little far fetched but I hear where you are coming from. One must look at the totality of the situation not just one piece of it.

1. Did she antagonize him on the bus?
2. Was this his normal stop?
3. What interaction was there after they exited from the bus?
4. What was his demeanor?
5. How was he acting?
6. How was she acting?
7. Did he really lunge at her or did he stumble?

I think the most important questions to answer are 1, 2, 3, and 7. The answers to those questions will more than likely result in the correct conclusion. Depending on the answers one must then look at #4 and #5 then #6.

Pagan

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
Pagan wrote:

Hell i do this all the time, not necissarily spitting on someone but ido spit, i even talk to myself sometimes. The only justification she had was he lunged at her (mayb e the spitting but thats streaching it), other then that i dont give a damn if he was speaking in tounges, just because people are weird dosent give anyone a right to assume they could have don this or that, thats what are friggin goverments doing to people, we dont need citizens doing it as well.

Those were simply signs in addition to other things, please read and understand the post before freaking out and start spitting and god forbid,wearing red hats:p