• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Las Vegas Question

imported post

What is the legality of borrowing a handgun from a friend?

Also, OCing that same handgun?

Note: there is no blue card for this gun as he doesn't live in Clark County.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

If you aren't a resident, you may be in Clark County for sixty days without registering a handgun, and you may open carry it.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-244.html#NRS244Sec364
3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:
(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

It appears to me that if you have it for less than 72 hours as a resident it would be okay.

Someone from Clark County may be able to answer your question better than I can though.

nyx

imported post

I actually called the LVMPD about that this week. I was told that the person loaning me the handgun could come and get a blue card for it, although it was not required.

The LEO I talked to really didn't have a definitive answer though. He said we could do that, not that we had to. I was wondering because I am a legal resident with a blue card for my guns, but the person loaning me the gun is a resident of another state and as such not subject to Clark County blue card requirements. LEO told me that the gun is likely registered in CA, the state the owner lives in. And I'm sure it was legally purchased there and registered.

I didn't ask about OC specifically though.

Erus

imported post

I don't know how relevant it is, but several years ago, I was carrying my father's handgun in the trunk of car, when I was out walking around.. I had borrowed it to house sit.

A LEO asked me about it, when he pulled me over for a ?? to make sure the hoodlum looking kid wasn't up to no good. When asked I told him yes, I have a gun in the car... ok I was kinda dumb then, I know... HE asked to see it and I think he was genuinely interested in the piece (a Walther PPK) and seemed to just want to admire it.

I told him I had dad's blue card with me, in the box with the gun, in fact, and he said I should make sure that the gun and the card were not in the same place if I left it in my glovebox or trunk so it would not be with the gun if it got stolen.

???

I would think that just like if you were passing through, all you would have to do is explain that you are borrowing eth gun and all should be groovy.